Chronic vomiting for years, help!

littlegreys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here, and I am at my wits end. I have a 6 year old neutered male cat. I got him 15 months ago, he was my grandma's cat and when she passed away, he came to live with me. He has vomited pretty much his whole life as I remember. Grandma said he vomited alot, she had him at the vet quite often for it. We didn't realize the true extent of it until he came to live here.
To try to keep it short, now he is vomiting more than 10 times a day. Sometimes just bile, sometimes food, sometimes with hairballs. He has had bloodwork, x rays (both of those done numerous times throughout the last few years). He has had depo shots. He has had ton of different kinds of cat food, Iams (several varities), EVO, IVD duck and green pea, Hills I/D, Hills sensitive stomach just to name a few.
A couple months ago, he began vomiting blood, we changed the food again, and he stopped, then started vomiting (no blood) again within a few days.
I give him hairball treats. He is not longhaired and I never see him grooming himself.
He wanders around the house at night making a blood curdling meow. He is deaf, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
He does not have any diarrhea, he eats well. I have a FeliWay diffuser plugged in and also spay the FeliWay Spray.
Earlier this year, he was attcking "funny" and became aggressive. He would attack people for no reason, or he would act like he was terrified of us and run and hide if he saw us. He bit my mom so bad she ended up in the ER. That stopped without any treatment, and he has since been his "normal" self.
I hope I have covered eveything. Oh, he lost about 4 pounds, but he is more active here than he was at my grandma's house. He sheds alot, but his coat looks normal, no bald patches, etc.
What can I do?? I am at a loss. My vet said the only option she can come up with is intestinal biopsies. I don't know if I want to put him through that.
Also, I cannot medicate him at home. I am a vet tech, so I am VERY experienced and it cannot be done. Not even with help. That is what we were trying to do when my mom ended up in the ER.
Is there anything else I can do, try, etc ??
Like I said, the vomiting has been going on for years, it comes and goes as far as severity.
HELP!!

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This poor kitty really needs an endoscopy. When you schedule it make sure they check for helicobacter as well.
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00117.htm

As for diet, there are several brands of special single protein and other grain-free canned diets that would be worth trying. A few brands I can think of right now: Evanger's, Prairie, by Nature, Instinctive Choice (http://www.healthypetnet.com/Healthy...lname=10037685)

Many vets recommend trying Prairie first with a protein source the cat has never had before.

Something else you might want to think about is a homemade cooked or raw diet.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cat-Food-...es-Chicken.htm
A veterinary nutritionist can help you with that to make sure the diet is safe and contains all the important nutrients in the correct amounts.
http://www.petdiets.com/

Hopefully this article will be helpful to you:
http://www.allpetsmacomb.com/vomiting.html

If kitty hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t had an ultrasound yet, please be sure to have one done (in addition to an endoscopy). An ultrasound is not very helpful in diagnosing IBD, but it can help diagnose pancreatic disease, which is a very hard to diagnose disease.
There is also a special blood test that can check pancreatic function, talk to your vet about that as well. (Your vet would have to send out the blood sample and it takes a few days or even a week for the results to come back.)

I hope you can find out what is causing all this vomiting without putting kitty through exploratory surgery and the cause will be something treatable with diet and medication. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sending you and your kitty heartfelt best wishes.

Would you mind very much if I asked, how was kitty's latest chemistry profile and CBC? Is kitty anemic? (I would expect that with all that vomiting.)
Are the kidney and liver values in the normal range? Please let us know.

tags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a twelve yr old siamese. Nala is allergic to 40+ things and a lot of which are food. Chicken, venison, cotton, hemp, etc. The vet put her on prescription Hills z/d. It has chicken, but it is denatured, so the body doesn't think of it as chicken. Before we knew what was wrong, she vomitted a lot and had ear infections. You should look into this food, because even if you feed a different protein, they can eventually become allergic to that also.

Now, she is doing a lot better, but still allergic to the environmental things, so it is hard to control. Vet put her on Atopica (dog medicine) she did okay, but had UTI's then and for the cost ($40/month) it wasn't helping anymore than just using Ottomax for her ears and trying to manage the food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tags

I have a twelve yr old siamese. Nala is allergic to 40+ things and a lot of which are food. Chicken, venison, cotton, hemp, etc. The vet put her on prescription Hills z/d. It has chicken, but it is denatured, so the body doesn't think of it as chicken. Before we knew what was wrong, she vomitted a lot and had ear infections. You should look into this food, because even if you feed a different protein, they can eventually become allergic to that also.

Now, she is doing a lot better, but still allergic to the environmental things, so it is hard to control. Vet put her on Atopica (dog medicine) she did okay, but had UTI's then and for the cost ($40/month) it wasn't helping anymore than just using Ottomax for her ears and trying to manage the food.
MANY still have issues on Z/D ... remember any food is labelled HYPO that = less not none ... at this pt only Z/D ULTRA which I think is dog only is a none allergen since they mirconized all possible proteins

processing also yields some issue... as some companies do use the four Ds animals and thus those have chemicals in them ...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - kitty needs an endoscopy and potentially the biopsies. His change in behavior is just so indicative of a cat in pain. Has he had a dental? Are his teeth causing him pain?

The vomiting could be so many different things. I'd agree - it sounds like some type of intestinal type disease or allergies. If you want to try changing his diet again before going the endoscopy route, at this point I think you need to try making your own food for him so you can elminate chicken, peas, wheat and corn from the diet to see if that's part of the problem.

Laurie

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with mega E. Try blending canned food in the blender with some water so its like a melted shake consistency. Maybe his food is getting stuck going down and coming back up. Maybe raise it a little off the floor and don't let him over eat. It seems when they over eat, they puke for sure.