Warning!!! New scam

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if you've heard about it yet. My mom just told me. You get a phone call asking why you skipped out on jury duty. When you tell them you never got anything in the mail about jury duty they ask for your SS number and BD so they can keep you from getting arrested or some crap. Watch out everyone.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did hear about that one just a few months ago! Very scary!

My personal rule is, if you call asking for my SS#, I'm not going to talk to you. Let a cop show up at my door!

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard this too. I also remember something about the IRS emailing you to say that they owe you money (which they would never tell you
and that they need your SSN to bring up your account.
Everyone watch out!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That scam has been around for a few years.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

Here's the thing, why would anyone give out that kind of personal information to a virtual stranger over the phone? I know some of the elderly get scammed, and I think there's a special corner of hell for people who scam them, but aside from the elderly or infirm, everyone else should have brains enough to not fall for stuff like that. It's the same with the phishing emails...no reputable company is going to put clickable links for you to update your account.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best rule of thumb about any of these things, phone or email contacts, is that if you did not initiate the contact, you should tell them nothing personal. Only if you have made the contact yourself, should you ever even consider giving personal information. In that situation, presumably you know the entity you have called, and that you intend to communicate with them, so you are in a position to judge whether the information sought is pertinent to your dealings, and being handled in a secure fashion. For instance, you call your bank about your account, obviously they need the account number, and for your own security will probably ask you for other information, in order to ascertain that you are who you say you are and not an imposter.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

My personal rule is, if you call asking for my SS#, I'm not going to talk to you. Let a cop show up at my door!
Exactly!

I've gotten calls from both my bank and Revenue Canada that upon my answering they request that I verify my name, address, phone number and SIN before they talk to me about what they called me about!

I'm like DUH! You called me! I tell them that I have no idea who they are and I'm certainly not going to give them my private information
I take their name and call them back via a phone number that I look up for myself.