Is it rude?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oldest is turning 17 tomorrow, she gave me some suggestions of things she would like, the thing is she is really picky, If I buy the wrong hoodie, brand color, she won't wear it, So I thought I will give her $100 and she can buy what she wants. My friend says it is rude to give money for a birthday, I should have bought a gift, and if she doesn't like it tough. Is it rude? I thought it was more practical.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get her a gift card & maybe a little something extra with it that you know she'd like that wouldn't be the wrong color or size...Maybe a lotion set or something? At least if you got her a gift card, you know she would be happy because she got to pick out anything she wants

Gift cards are like celebrating your birthday all over again

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

You could get her a gift card & maybe a little something extra with it that you know she'd like that wouldn't be the wrong color or size...Maybe a lotion set or something? At least if you got her a gift card, you know she would be happy because she got to pick out anything she wants

Gift cards are like celebrating your birthday all over again
i totally agree! my lil bro LOVES gift cards!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope...I don't think it's rude! I've started doing that with my 16 yr old daughter and she enjoys the money much more than a gift.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was a teen, my parents always gave me money for any holiday. I loved it, most teenagers love shopping and this way you know whatever she gets she will wear.
You could also take her shopping and let her pick stuff out, that way you can make sure she's buying things she needs that you approve of and not blowing it on junk.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of my family gives money to their kids for exactly this reason. I think it's differnt when it is a distant relative. I do a gift card for relatives, but if I had a picky child, I'd just give them the cast. Most teenagers like that better anyway. They can get what they want.

Edit:
If you decide on gift cart they now have the Visa gift cards that can be used anywhere a check card can be used. Nothing wrong with that.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take it your friend doesn't have teenagers!! Money is not rude! My boys love money as presents and they are Best Buy junkies so a gift card to there is works as well.

I even bought my niece who is 9 years old a gift card to Limited Too for Christmas. She said that was her favorite gift.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think I was being rude, I was just thinking, we are going to the city this weekend, she can buy what ever she would like. My friend has young kids, no teens.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always give gift cards around the holidays or their birthdays and they always appreciate them, so I don't think it's rude at all.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't find that rude at all! Teenagers are generally sooo hard to shop for when it comes to clothing and things. I just see it as giving them a gift they will appreciate!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my stepson cash for every gift, and have since he was about 9 years old.

When he was a kid and you asked him what he wanted, he'd always say "cash on the spot". So I started getting stuff with spots on them and afixing cash to them. It's become our little joke, and let me tell you, he's almost 23 years old now and it's getting tough to think up new spots.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think its rude. My grandma, mom and dad usually give me money instead of buying me clothes if that is what I want. I think its better because that way the person can just get what they want and no one ends up with hurt feelings.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not at all! I definitely preferred money at that age too, simply because I could choose whatever I wanted at the time
It's also a very subtle way of letting her know that you're giving her a little bit of extra independence by allowing her to make her own decisions. Whether they're right or wrong, they're hers to make. You made a good call.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's rude at all, especially for a picky teenager. In fact, my parents always did this so I had some idea of the value of all the stuff I asked for

This was largely in the days before gift cards, so I would get $$ in a card, and usually something small like a book, a favorite candy or a cute figurine (I always liked hello kitty), etc.

My dad always personalized the card with a goofy joke or stamp to make it special

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, It's not rude....My boys love getting money or gift cards so they can spend it when and how they want to. It's so much better than them getting something they will never use....I hope she has a great b-day!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a strong believer that gift cards or even cash are GREAT gifts. Although, when buying a gift it's always the thought that counts but then again so many "gifts" just get thrown in the closet....versus a gift card a person can get exactly WHAT they want.

GIFT CARDS---FTW!!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cash is probably the most appreciated gift teenagers can get. The prepaid Visa card suggested would be a great alternative if your daughter likes to shop online.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone here!

I would much rather have a gift card or money than a gift. I'm pretty picky too. But that way she can get what she wants

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
17?! Heck she would appreciate the $100.00 more than any gift you could give her... save a car!

Chances are she will go out and buy some clothing and CDs. Money is the best gift to give a teenager these days.