Feline Pine - does it hurt???

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using Feline Pine for quite a while now and pretty much love it. But, when the box is fresh and mostly pellets, do the pellets bother the kitties? Does anyone know? I'm just wondering if it hurts them to walk around on it. I have a 25 pounder.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used that Feline Pine in pellet form for our kittens, they wouldn't use it because it didn't feel good on their little paws. We bought the Feline Pine Clumping Litter which they loved even better, its the same thing except its like sawdust. You could try the clumping version of Feline Pine & see how that works, its in a box instead of a bag. The pellets probably don't hurt your cats feet if you are worried though...

Heres the Feline Pine Clumping Litter in case you want to look:
http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

I have been using Feline Pine for quite a while now and pretty much love it. But, when the box is fresh and mostly pellets, do the pellets bother the kitties? Does anyone know? I'm just wondering if it hurts them to walk around on it. I have a 25 pounder.
Considering how much Coco loves digging in the pellets, I kinda doubt the pellets are as hard on their feet as a lot of people seem to assume.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link Katz. I almost got the Feline Pine scooping today but went against it. I may try it next time. My cats have been very flexible with me switching litters, but I haven't tried a new litter in over 6 months.

I was just worried because one of my cats is so heavy that his weight probably pushes his paws into the litter harder. But I'm sure he's fine. If he wasn't he probably wouldn't use it.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep a watch out to how he acts with the pellets...If he is using the bathroom normally & doesn't look like the pellets are bothering his paws, then he should be fine

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Daisy never liked it but she had to use it after being spayed. I noticed she stopped covering so after a while, I had to change to a litter that feels sandy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use it and the cats don't complain
. It breaks down pretty quickly so I don't see why it would hurt for the cat to be walking on it - even at 25 lbs (and that is one big cat you have
)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used it all the time and my cats never mind. However I recently switched to wood stove pellets and it makes Feline Pine look like a rip off. The stove pellets you can get at Lowe's and it costs $5-something for a 40lbs bag!

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I used it all the time and my cats never mind. However I recently switched to wood stove pellets and it makes Feline Pine look like a rip off. The stove pellets you can get at Lowe's and it costs $5-something for a 40lbs bag!
Do they work as well as the feline pine? Do they cover the scent well? I was just wondering because I am always on the look out for a way to add a little money back into the budget and I am also currently in the process of switching to feline pine so a change now would be ideal.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look for the ones with pine or a variety of woods. The hardwood one isn't AS great but it still does a good job and is way cheaper. Worse part is you try it and don't like it and you only spent $5.something.