what should I do

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches is growing into a big tom cat, he is only about 11 months to a year, he came to me as a stray so I am not sure, and he is as big as my 2 year old cat and last time I checked weighed 15 pounds and is all muscle, I had a cat like him before who was very agressive and one day, unprovoked, bit me on the neck and would'nt let go, Peaches is showing the same signs of agression that that cat did and I am worried for my girls saftey, he has'nt done anything to them yet but he has bit and scratched me a couple of times, I live in a small town and the only animal shelter here is is a few cages at the vets office, which are full right now, I have been saving up to get him nutered but it is going to be a while, I don't know what to do with him for now, I don't want to keep him outside since he is not neutered and I don't want to keep him inside cause I worry he might attack the girls, I don't have a cage to put him in or a room that no one goes into to keep him in, What should I do about him?

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any low cost neuter programs around you ?

I'm pretty certain a lot of your problems/worry about him would be solved with the neutering. How expensive is it for you now? How much do you have saved up?

I'm not an expert on how to get access to low cost neuter programs in the states but I'm sure other people will post the needed info and help you with getting him neutered. He's controlled by his hormones to a large extent now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Are there any low cost neuter programs around you ?

I'm pretty certain a lot of your problems/worry about him would be solved with the neutering. How expensive is it for you now? How much do you have saved up?

I'm not an expert on how to get access to low cost neuter programs in the states but I'm sure other people will post the needed info and help you with getting him neutered. He's controlled by his hormones to a large extent now.
I got my female cats spayed 1 1/2 years ago when they were kittens, I had to bring them in each month for 3 months to get their shots which were $60-$70 per cat each month and after they had their shots and could be spayed it was over $200 per cat, total maybe around $400-$450, and that is at the cheepest vet, the other one would have been $450-$500, I have gotten him the first 2 sets of shots and just need the last set and the nutering.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At his age, you can get by with one rabies shot/one distemper shot & neutering...at least where I live.

At the very least he needs to be neutered. If you cannot afford this, then try to find him a new home where he will be vetted. If you do not neuter him, IMO, you're asking him to do the same behaviors as the previous tom.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well not being neutered can cause the aggression and frustration. I would try to find someone that you can borrow a very large kennel/crate to keep him in till he's neutered. But don't cage him all the time - maybe just at night.

He will be wanting to get outside for those girl cats, so watch him. Is there any low-cost vets in your area to get him in now and neutered? Or one that will take payments?

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If you do not neuter him, IMO, you're asking him to do the same behaviors as the previous tom.

And you're greatly increasing the likelihood of him spraying. Which some people might consider to actually be worse than the aggression.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The OP poster is intending to get the cat neutered and she has gotten her female cats spayed and they're all getting/have gotten shots.

The problem is just to speed up the neutering. I know there are low cost neuter vets in some areas that will do neutering for as little as 35-50$ and in any case it's pretty much always cheaper getting male neutered than females spayed.

There might be some rescue groups or shelters that will help people who need extra resources to get their pets neutered in the area where you live. I'm in the UK though so I'm not familiar with what you can expect or where you need to search for it.

Ok there were some links in a sticky in the caring for ferals forum. I haven't read through them carefully and don't know what state you are in etc. but read it through and maybe something can help.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/prog...ter/index.html
http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
http://www.savesamoa.org/html/spay_neuter.html