old cat constipation

jenks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an old cat that has a problem with constipation. I have a hard time making her eat hairball remedy.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenks

I have an old cat that has a problem with constipation. I have a hard time making her eat hairball remedy.
I have seen pumpkin recommended many times on here so I tried it on my kitty and it worked for me.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitts won't eat the hairball paste on it's own so i smear about 1" of it on their front paws, but rub it in their fur well otherwise when they shake their paws it goes everywhere

Like Lee said pumpkins good as well.

deb314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 11 year old cat had the same problem about a year ago. It got so bad he was impacted, the vet had to do surgery to get it all out of his intestine. He wouldn't touch the pumpkin even mixed with his food. The vet can try an enema.

I currently use a fiber tablet that I purchased from 1800petmeds. It's called Petromalt Fiber capsules. It's only about $5.00 a bottle. Just open the caplet and sprinkle it in the food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the kitty had a senior panel in the last 6 months.>>???

I used pumkin with a UTI kitty ... but to be safe ask your vet ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what is a senior panel

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
blood work that covers organ function is older animals

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used pumpkin from a can but it didn't work for Buster. Buster suffers from severe constipation and I have to administer *3* medications daily to help him go poop.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an 11 yr old that gets constipated approx every 2 months... he cries when trying to go. What I do is give him hairball paste and if by the time I come back from work I see no change, then i give him 3-4ml of Parafin Oil with a syringe. He hates it but it does help. This I got from the vet and it works wonders.
I never heard about pumpkin before.. i need to go and look if there are any at the market.. we do not have canned for sure.. I will try cooking a little for him, sounds tastier than the oil

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive heard of the pumpkin too! I Hope it works well!

normally after 7 y/o they need a senior panel to make sure that all the organs are still doing their jobs! Its good to know, and isn't too expensive!

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Rascal was having constipation problems in his old age. The vet recommended that I add psyllium husk powder to his food. I was able to get a (big) jar of it at a GNC store. It worked well. His feces were soft but formed and a little bit rubbery.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harvey had constipation problems, too, and Tailer's starting to have them occasionally. Neither one of them will eat the hairball remedy willingly either. (It figures that Forest is the only one who will take it willingly, and he doesn't have any problems with that.
) Neither one of them would eat the pumpkin, either.

My vet taught me to put the hairball goop on my finger, then to swipe my finger on the roof of their mouth. They don't like it, but it gets it over with quickly and is less messy and less stressful than wiping it on their fur (which most cats HATE, and which Tailer's figured out how to wipe off on the furniture).

A tiny bit of canola oil in their food can help loosen things up a bit, too.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Kolohe (age 10) was constipated last August I tried pumpkin and hairball meds. He refused both. I finally read about Slippery Elm powder and tried it. It worked.
I bought the capsules and now add a little to his food every two-three days. Just cut the capsules open and mix the powder with the wet food. He's had a problem only once since then and some extra Slippery Elm cleared it up quickly.

Good luck finding something that works for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried pumkin and it seems to work, she even eats it on her own. Thanks