Neutered Feral Update...WOO HOO

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wrote about a week ago about finally catching a feral cat and getting him neutered...I decided with a lot of support from you all here...that I might see if I can try to get him to bond with me as I didn't want to send him back out in the cold and wet...

He has been in my spare bedroom and still on "feral time"...up all night and sleep all day but I have been going in there and talking to him and reading to him and feeding him on schedule and not making direct eye contact and blinking at him slowly at times and all the other wonderful things you all have shared with me...

This is day nine and the most amazing thing happned... I have a baby gate on the spare bedroom and my other cat Luca was in the hallway and the feral was in his hiding place...so I was talking to Luca and looking at him and all of sudden...the feral cat came and just PLOPPED on the floor in front of him and was rolling around showing me his belly and such...I about died...so I slowly reached down and pet him and he let me pet him for a good 2-3 minutes then he kinda freaked a bit and hissed and swiped me...and ran under the table...so I just waited there and started talking to my other cat and soon the feral came out and starting rubbing against the table and then again PLOPPED in right in front of me and started rolling around...

I think perhaps he had some human contact in this past and just needs to get refamiliar with humans again but I have GREAT HOPE that he, in time, will be come a member of the family...

in all seriousness if the people here hadn't told me it could be done and gave me such wonderful hope and a plan of action...I would have released him back outside and who knows what he'd be doing now....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That boy sounds like he has the potential to be a WONDERFUL housecat.

Just remember, for every two steps forward there can be a step back, but don't ever let it get you down. He craves love and a stable home - I can tell from your description.

Congrats on doing it the right way - the rewards will continue to come!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news.
I know the feeling.
Our Annabelle was semi feral and the first day she let my pet her my heart almost melted

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG - I bet you just about died!
Oh there is a kitty that wants to be a lover in there! And he's got YOU!

There was a woman here who rescued an older feral - and she was a FERAL - that had been injured. She named her Penguin because her back legs had been damaged, healed wrong, and she couldn't walk right. She posted here for several years - unfortunately the original thread got lost because of a server crash - but Pengy (as we all came to call her) took months before she even ventured out from under the bed - and it was like a year before Pengy slept on the bed with her - and even then, if she went to touch her, Pengy was gone.

So either there's something VERY special about you, or he's a stray-gone-feral - either way - this is VERY fast for a kitty like this to be PETTED! I can't get over it! You must be BUSTING!

Laurie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!!! What does he look like? Maybe some pics (w/o a flash so you won't scare him!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww thank you for asking...these were taken last October when he was having his dinner on my patio...he's a little lion huh??

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by opilot

Orange kitties rock. I have had the best luck with orange boys.
They all seem mellow, relaxed and easy to please. YOu may be
finding an ideal house cat here!
That really does seem to be true! We adopted out a feral orange boy that looks SO MUCH like your kitty - and that's how they describe him.
The vet techs at several vets we've used ALL love the orange boys!

Laurie

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He looks alot like my feral boy Beetle. Only Beetle has shorter fur. Beetle is awesome too. Everyone in the rescue agrees that for some reason the orange boy ferals tame down quicker.