How long is too long?....

ladyxplicit702

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im a new cat owner. I just adopted Thomas on the 13th, I got him home and have not seen him since (he's been hiding under my guest room bed). I am worried since he has not eaten or drank anything. How long do i wait before he will come out to say hi?

Also to let you know I had the small room under my stair case set up for him the first night and he ended up using the litter box in there in the middle of the night, then thats when he went upstairs and hid under the bed. At first he was hidding in the room i set up.

Here is my big problem....I just found out i am having unexpected guests in two days. If he doesnt come out by then is it ok to move the bed and take him to the 1st spot under the staircase? If so whats the best way to do it?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyXplicit702

Im a new cat owner. I just adopted Thomas on the 13th, I got him home and have not seen him since (he's been hiding under my guest room bed). I am worried since he has not eaten or drank anything. How long do i wait before he will come out to say hi?

Also to let you know I had the small room under my stair case set up for him the first night and he ended up using the litter box in there in the middle of the night, then thats when he went upstairs and hid under the bed. At first he was hidding in the room i set up.

Here is my big problem....I just found out i am having unexpected guests in two days. If he doesnt come out by then is it ok to move the bed and take him to the 1st spot under the staircase? If so whats the best way to do it?
When you say you adopted Thomas I am thinking he may have been a street cat before you got him, like my Alley. Alley took about a week before she would come out from other the bed and in fact, every time anybody at all comes over to our house, she still spends her time under the bed. I think she must have suffered great trauma at one time on the streets. However, she has become an extremely affectionat cat towards me and wants to lay on my chest all night long.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't move the bed, since that's the place he's feeling safe right now. When I first got my cat, he spent the better part of two months under the bed, or sometimes under and then venturing out for short periods.

Are you sure he's not eating or drinking at all? I'd put the food and water bowls right by the edge of the bed so he'll be able to go to them easily when no one's looking.

If he really hasn't drunk anything, that's a health risk and I'd take him to the vet. They can't go without water for more than two or three days without it becoming serious.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been watching him or his food/water dishes 24/7? I ask because if you haven't it is very likely that he is coming out it's just when your away or sleeping. Another way to check is to see if he's creating waste. IOW: is he using the litter box? Generally if nothing goes in then nothing comes out.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you offering him the food he was accustomed to eating before you adopted him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladyxplicit702

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he was not a stray, i adpoted him from a friend of the family who previously owned him...he was acctually very well taken care of until his owners bought a dog recently. then the dog and thomas didnt get along.

He has not eaten, drank or used the bathroom....he is just under there. I have the left over food from the previous owner and his schedule...but even his special treats they told me he likes he wont eat.

It has now been 3 days and i am seriously worried since he isnt eating or at the least drinking.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyXplicit702

he was not a stray, i adpoted him from a friend of the family who previously owned him...he was acctually very well taken care of until his owners bought a dog recently. then the dog and thomas didnt get along.

He has not eaten, drank or used the bathroom....he is just under there. I have the left over food from the previous owner and his schedule...but even his special treats they told me he likes he wont eat.

It has now been 3 days and i am seriously worried since he isnt eating or at the least drinking.
I would call a vet or an en emergency vet, dehydration can be *very* serious.

Signs of dehydration include;

Sunken eyes

Dry mouth

Poor skin elasticity (see below for instructions on how to check this)

Lethargy

Increased heart rate

Poor capillary refill time (see below for instructions on how to check this)

Constipation. Water is re-absorbed from the colon & if the cat is dehydrated, the body will try to conserve water by removing additional water from the stool.

Skin turgor test: To check for dehydration grasp some skin at the base of their neck (the scruff) and gently pull it up. In the hydrated cat, the skin will spring back immediately. In a dehydrated cat, the skin will be slower to retract. The more severe the dehydration the slower the skin will take to retract.

Capillary refill time: This helps you to test your cat's blood circulation & can indicate dehydration, heart failure or shock. To test capillary refill time life your cat's upper lip & press the flat of your finger against the gum tissue. Remove the pressure & you will see a white mark on the gum where your finger was placed. Using a watch with a second hand, time how long it takes for the pink colour to return to the white spot. In the healthy cat it should take around 1 - 2 seconds to return to pink.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor boy... he was booted for a dog?! I wonder if he thinks the dog might still be around and that's why he's hiding. Does he show any interest in the treats when you offer them? I think I'd be worried too. DO you have a vet you can call for a phone consult to start?