Help! Anyone good with words out there?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're writing tomorrow's morning notes (I'm equity analyst, Gary is Strategist) and Gary's writing about the economy. He just asked what's another way to say "Hang on" or "Fasten your seatbelt"?

Anyone have any suggestions? I can barely see straight - let alone think!

Thanks!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe we'll find a way to work that into an australian stock we're writing up.

Oh - I should add - we're not looking for something more formal or anything. Just a different way of saying it that isn't so usual. But not quite as unusual as Nat's suggestion! (Though appropriate!) So far he's got "pushing on a string" and "hanging by a thread" in there.
He'd rather go with a "fasten your seatbelts" equivalent if we (or you!) can come up with anything!

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hold on to your hats gents, we're going for a ride!!

(None of my suggestions shall be useful, but I feel the need to throw them out there in hopes they inspire a useful suggestion!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a PM where someone suggested hang on to your hats - or - because it's "wall street" - grab on to your wallets!

These are all great - Gary's on the phone, so I can't ask him if he wants to use any of them.

Laurie

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about
Prepare for light speed.
Gaining Momentum
Surpassing the sound barrier
Strap yourself in
Kiss the sky
Grab the comet by the tail
or my favorite because of it's simplicity
Prepare to be amazed......

Hope those help.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those are all great suggestions - but they all have a more positive bent, and I know he's looking for a "negative" bent - more like Prepare for the worst.

Maybe.... Prepare for a bumpy ride?

....although that works if he's writing about volatility, but I'm pretty sure he's going for how much the economy is going to suck this year.

Well - I gotta try to get some sleep. But just in case anyone comes up with more ideas, our deadline isn't until 7:45am.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all the ideas! I've created a file so we have it to refer back to.

We decided not to publish general market commentary this morning after all - Intel's numbers are going to slam the market. We don't need to tell our Portfolio Managers (customers) how bad everything is - they know. Coming INTO this morning the Dow is down 5.8% for the year - the NASDAQ is down 8.8% (!) and the Philly semiconductor index is down 13% (!!).

It's going to be ugly.

And for headlines? How about this morning's headline on CBS Marketwatch: "Tsunami of Selling Hits Wall Street." I'd laugh because it's cute - but it really isn't funny.

But thanks for all the suggestions anyway!

Laurie