nail clipping

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat's claws were clipped at the shelter the day before i adopted him. he goes up to my couch every now and then and scratches for about five seconds and moves on to another activity. he doesn't do it frequently at all. i am buying him softpaws tonight, but i'm curious if cats with clipped nails can still do damage to the furniture? is it more difficult? when a cat really goes on a scratching frenzy how long does it usually last? my cat is very calm and good, but i have to put on the softpaws because i don't want my landlord to give me a hard time and demand declawing, which i don't think she will do b/c she's super nice. i believe he is just marking his territory/leaving his scent when he does his little scratching here and there. he has polydactly (one extra digit) so i have to make sure his nails are clipped down every three to four weeks.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any issues with destructive scratching. Every once in a while, Chloe will scratch the couch but I always make a loud clapping noise and then I go pick her up and put her on one of the scratching posts. Now, seeing her on the couch is very very very rare. I bought Soft Paws for her but I haven't had to use them (and I don't know how I would get them on her, she's an active little kitten who does *not* like sitting still). Trimming the claws is very easy, but it was so scary for me the first time I did it because I was afraid of hurting her. Soft Paws are great, but you might be surprised at how little scratching your cat does. I was terrified of the scratching issue when I brought Chloe home but it's really just not even an issue. The issue with her claws is the damage she has done to my hands/face/neck/etc.

With shorter nails they can damage things (I mean, they still have claws, they are just shorter). They might be less likely to scratch to shorten them themselves. Cats need to scratch though, you are right about the territory thing. Do you have a scratching post? I hate the way that most look, but Target has a nice sisal one that has more scratching surface than others. I like the TrendyCat products and have the tall and flat scratcher, and then there are cardboard scratchers (which Chloe doesn't like, go figure).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft Claws are probably the best if you really want no damage. I clip nails and do it often, but they still have the sharp ends. So if you don't want to declaw (which is not the right thing anyway), then I would highly recommend you work with the Soft Claws so your cat doesn't do any damage.

BTW clipping every 3-4 weeks is NOT enough - you should check and do them every week

scarecrow2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Soft Claws are probably the best if you really want no damage. I clip nails and do it often, but they still have the sharp ends. So if you don't want to declaw (which is not the right thing anyway), then I would highly recommend you work with the Soft Claws so your cat doesn't do any damage.

BTW clipping every 3-4 weeks is NOT enough - you should check and do them every week
My goodness! I have no idea how to even broach this with her! If you've read any of my posts, I have an issue with my cat biting & scratching me! Her nail are sooo long, I know this is going to have be done ASAP. She's very combative if I try to do anything with her. She usually wins as well!

Is there a place I could bring her to have this done? Thanks!

ortal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can take her to a groomer (or a vet...) every week or so, if you want to spend the money, untill your cat is comfortable with it. Try craigslist.

I've never tried softpaws, am looking to try it.

ortal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Craigslist is a centralized network of online urban communities, featuring free classified advertisements (with jobs, housing, personals, for sale ..."

go to craigslist.org and find a city in your area, click pets, and there is usually a list of grooming services there.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best time to clip kitty's nails is when she is sleeping or groggy from sleeping. They will get used to it after a few times and it will become easier for you as well. The first few times you'll probably be as nervous as your kitty and they'll pick up on that. Be assertive and you'll have better luck. I don't even need to hold Bijou anymore, I can clip while he lays on the chair. With Mika we just put our finger on her paw pad from underneath and she'll stretch her claws out for us and we just snip them.

It really is a matter of getting them used to having it done. If you aren't comfortable have a groomer or the vet's office do it for you while you watch and learn.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know she was giving you that hard of a time. You can try wrapping her in a towel and getting another person to trim the nails.

I'm just so used to doing it and even do friends/family's cats with no problems that I keep forgetting there are problem cats out there.

If you want, bring her to me and I'll do them for you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I didn't know she was giving you that hard of a time. You can try wrapping her in a towel and getting another person to trim the nails.

I'm just so used to doing it and even do friends/family's cats with no problems that I keep forgetting there are problem cats out there.

One of the other ladies and I do the nail-clipping at the shelter because the others are too nervous. There are a couple cats there that even I would not attempt to clip their claws but it's more because I don't know the cats and they don't know me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but I found that the cats seem more cooperative if they do not know you - they know how to "bluff" the owners, but have no idea how to bluff the stranger. That's why I have little problems doing friends/family's cats

By the time I'm done (in a min or two) they don't know what hit them

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we trim nails here once a week.

Jack has never been allowed to scratch on furniture (trimmed nails or not) and takes to new scratch areas well. If the cat is still a kitten, take this opportunity to teach the right and wrong places to scratch (or you'll regret it later). My husband wanted our kitten declawed but I refused to allow it--he's young and can learn right and wrong.

He likes cardboard boxes, pieces of plywood, the litter mat infront of the litter box, and sisal rope--and is always coming up with new things that are non distructive.

Leslie

scarecrow2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
QUOYE- GOLDENKITTY45

I will be so happy to take you up on that!!
I'll be there the end of Oct.!!

Actually I am terrified of doing it myself! It would be just my lulk to go too deep. Gosh, can you just see how pissed she'd be!

He He..I just have faith to believe she would not have been sent to me wiyhout the means to care for her...how many times have you had the experience of having just what you needrd placed right there in front of you at the exact time you needed it!

Yeah, it will happen.
Gotta go, falling asleep here at the computer!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squishy likes to play "sneek up and attack daddy" all the time. she does it wit me too but she generally dont use her claws on me. If she does do it too hard I just say" Be gentle girlie" and she backs off... It dont work for daddy tho.... He plays rougher than mommy tho.... but we decided to clip her nails and it was a little scary at first and omg does she hate it but she only stays mad at us for about 10 minutes then she is all lovey and ready to play again... It seems that she doesnt scratch hardly at all as long as they are short but when they are longer she will scratch more. we have had a scratching post and a scratching mat that we have on the corner of the couch and she pretty much sticks to using those two things.... If you can get someone to help you trim them it will help you out.