TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Should we just take Jasper
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should we just take Jasper - Page 2

post #31 of 58
Wow. What an ordeal for Jasper and Nicole. She must be so relieved to know he's okay and being cared for. You did a wonderful thing for both of them!
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilcon View Post
Wow. What an ordeal for Jasper and Nicole. She must be so relieved to know he's okay and being cared for. You did a wonderful thing for both of them!
I know it's probably hard for you since he seems to be such a lovable cat but she seems so genuine in her concern for him. Like she said, so many others would have just kept him to themselves. Your a hero to them both I'm sure!
post #33 of 58
Thread Starter 
When Mason came home from work on Thursday and I told him what happened the first thing is said to me was "I'll bet you're sorry you talked to her now."
This from the man who told me we couldn't just steal the neighbors cat...I guess Jasper grew on him

Yes, part of me is sorry that we can't keep him, but I know in my heart that he belongs with Nicole.
It'll be a sad day when he leaves, but as long as he's happy and well taken care of that's the most important thing.

Our kids are upset that we can't keep him, but I told them to think how they'd feel if Gracie, Annabelle or Elliott somehow got lost and were found and the person who found them wouldn't give them back.
Our little girl said "Oh Mommy, I'd cry and cry and cry the way I did when Lizzie died, Mommy I don't ever want to be that sad again."
That broke my heart, because I know there will come a time...I pray that it's years and years down the road... that she will be that sad again whether it's the death of one of the other cats or a human family member.
I didn't go there, I know I probably should have but that's for another day.

We just told them that when we least expect it another cat will find us.
Spring isn't that far off and that seems to be the time when people dump their cats on our street
If that doesn't happen then there will be one at that shelter someday that needs us.
Hopefully the shelter will soon get an older cat that doesn't mind other cats or little kids
post #34 of 58
You get the best of both worlds. You can keep in touch with Nicole and visit/cat-sit Jasper, AND you get to pick out the perfect shelter kitty when he/she comes along.
post #35 of 58
Thread Starter 
Nicole already gave me the address for her new apartment...it's just down the block from our kids school.
I told her I plan on visiting then often
She said I could come everyday if I wanted
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat View Post
Nicole already gave me the address for her new apartment...it's just down the block from our kids school.
I told her I plan on visiting then often
She said I could come everyday if I wanted
OMG, what a wonderful story to read (except that you've been ill ). Sooo, Jasper's an MC!!! Just like JC, neutered, no papers but with an MC, who cares Certainly not the MC (if they spoke, they'd imitate the Mexican in Humphrey Bogart's Treasure of the Sierra Madre who said, "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges" and meow, "Papers? We don't need no stinkin' papers!! ). MC's do THRIVE on the attention of children, so hope that your kids visit Jasper often!!!
I like to think of Jasper's first owner, up over RB, surrounded by lots & lots of RB kitties, interceding with the angels to guide all the earthly actions below, because IMHO, this story shows DIVINE inspiration
A few minutes ago, I was scared and devastated cuz my DH requested a separation, and possibly divorce, but Jasper's (and yours) particular story (and several PMs from oh-so-wonderful TCSers) are giving me strength and renewing my faith that my life situation (and that of my disabled daughter, and all my kitties & rescue-kitties) will be OK...
Thank you sosoo much for posting!! And I hope that you're healthy again, because mommies don't get time off for being sick. Sending {{{prayers and vibes}}} out to you, your kids & kits, Jasper, Nichole and to your MC-to-be, wherever he or she is right now, that you find each other soon!!!!
post #37 of 58
Thread Starter 
I'm feeling lots better now.

I can just hear Jasper saying that too!

Yes, the kids will be visting him often...I think they'd be sleeping out on the sun porch with him at night if we'd let them.
I think you're right, Grandma did have a hand in keeping Jasper safe until I grabbed him and I think she used the thing with Jasper to get Nicole out of a bad relationship before it was to late.

I'm so sorry that you, your daughter and furkids are going through all of that.
Hold your head high, keep that faith and everything will work out for the best.
I'll keep you, your daughter and furkids in my thoughts and Prayers.
post #38 of 58
Thread Starter 
Here we go again!!

Earlier this evening I was in the kitchen and I could hear a cat crying and crying.
Since the sun porch is the room right next to the kitchen I thought it was Jasper.
I went out there and Jasper was sitting and just staring out the window.
At first I couldn't see what he was looking at and then I heard the crying again...it wasn't Jasper, it was Jack...the cat that belongs to Nicole's ex.
I guess he must have done something wrong because now he's outside...or he was...he's on the sun porch with Jasper now.
It's 7 freakin' degrees outside...why oh why would anyone with a brain let a cat outside in this kind of weather?

Jack and Jasper were thrilled to see each other, they were rubbing up againest each other and grooming each other...and the first thing Jack did was gobble up all the food his little tummy could hold..poor little guy
Nicole worked yesterday, so she was off today...she just left.
She told me that she'll just take Jack with her when she takes Jasper.
They get along great and like Nicole said being that she works so much Jack and Jasper will keep each other company.

I don't look at this as "stealing" Jack....I don't know how long he's been outside and they haven't come looking for him...so I look at it as abuseand neglect and don't feel one bit bad that I put him on the porch with Jasper or letting Nicole take him with her.
Like I said it's 7 degrees outside...the sun porch has heater that's set at 50 so at least Jack will be nice and warm and with his buddy Jasper.

The only bad thing is that Jack is not neutered and as all of you know un-neutered cat pee smells AWFUL...oh well, at least he's safe and warm.
I haven't told Mason yet, but I think I might call our Vet and see if I can get Jack in to be neutered before he leaves.
The last thing I want is for Nicole's new neighbors to complain about smelling cat pee and then have her new landlord change his mind about allowing her to have cats, plus I won't have to hold my breath when I scoop out his litter box

Mason has started to call me Dr. Dolittle
He said he thinks the strays must have a hotline and they tell each other "Go to that house, they'll feed you and keep you warm"
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat View Post
Here we go again!!

Earlier this evening I was in the kitchen and I could hear a cat crying and crying.
Since the sun porch is the room right next to the kitchen I thought it was Jasper.
I went out there and Jasper was sitting and just staring out the window.
At first I couldn't see what he was looking at and then I heard the crying again...it wasn't Jasper, it was Jack...the cat that belongs to Nicole's ex.
I guess he must have done something wrong because now he's outside...or he was...he's on the sun porch with Jasper now.
It's 7 freakin' degrees outside...why oh why would anyone with a brain let a cat outside in this kind of weather?

Jack and Jasper were thrilled to see each other, they were rubbing up againest each other and grooming each other...and the first thing Jack did was gobble up all the food his little tummy could hold..poor little guy
Nicole worked yesterday, so she was off today...she just left.
She told me that she'll just take Jack with her when she takes Jasper.
They get along great and like Nicole said being that she works so much Jack and Jasper will keep each other company.

I don't look at this as "stealing" Jack....I don't know how long he's been outside and they haven't come looking for him...so I look at it as abuseand neglect and don't feel one bit bad that I put him on the porch with Jasper or letting Nicole take him with her.
Like I said it's 7 degrees outside...the sun porch has heater that's set at 50 so at least Jack will be nice and warm and with his buddy Jasper.

The only bad thing is that Jack is not neutered and as all of you know un-neutered cat pee smells AWFUL...oh well, at least he's safe and warm.
I haven't told Mason yet, but I think I might call our Vet and see if I can get Jack in to be neutered before he leaves.
The last thing I want is for Nicole's new neighbors to complain about smelling cat pee and then have her new landlord change his mind about allowing her to have cats, plus I won't have to hold my breath when I scoop out his litter box

Mason has started to call me Dr. Dolittle
He said he thinks the strays must have a hotline and they tell each other "Go to that house, they'll feed you and keep you warm"
Dr. Dolittle!? That's funny!!
Not such a bad thing to be known in the cat underground as a safe haven!
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Dr. Dolittle!? That's funny!!
Not such a bad thing to be known in the cat underground as a safe haven!
Yup, you are a true cat hero
I am thrilled that Jack will be rehomed with Jasper. I hope that you can get some financial assistance in getting Jack neutered
post #41 of 58
Thread Starter 
I called my Vet this morning and he's going to neuter Jack in the morning.
He usually charges $50 for a neuter but he told me he'd do Jack for $25.

I forgot to mention that Jasper face is all healed, he stopped scratching at it as soon as the flea collar came off.
Jack was wearing one too, it came off also.
post #42 of 58
Glad to hear that Jasper is doing better and you vet rocks! You rock too... taking care of these kitties... getting little Jack neutered for Nicole. Oh, and word travels fast in the kitty underground. My MIL's barn is also a kitty safe haven and her numbers always seem to skyrocket when the temp pluments.
post #43 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
Glad to hear that Jasper is doing better and you vet rocks!
Yes he does, he's a wonderful Vet and just an all around good guy.

Jackie boy is there now, we can pick him up after 1.
I think I'm going to keep him in the laundry room just for the rest of today and tonight.
I hate to take him away from Jasper, but I know when we had Elliott neutered he just wanted to sleep the rest of that day and I just can't see Jasper leaving poor Jack alone long enough to sleep.
Elliott was back to his old self the next morning, so as long as Jack's okay in the morning I'll put him back on the sun porch with Jasper.

I remembered to stop at the store and get some of those baby wipe things that they make for cats.
Elliott peed all over himself while he was still out from his neuter and I'll never forget the way he smelled and I didn't have any wipes on hand so I had to make a mad dash to the store...I'm going to be one step ahead of the game this time!
post #44 of 58
Glad to hear Jasper is doing and sending lots of vibes that all goes well with Jack's neuter. You've done a wonderful thing for both kitties and their owner.
post #45 of 58
Thread Starter 
Jack is back from the Vet and exploring the laundry room.
He's acting like nothing at all happened.
I was expecting him to act like a little drunken sailor when I let him out of the carrier...that's the way Elliott acted...but NO Jack is having a grand old time checking things out in there.

Mason said that only goes to show that you don't miss what you never used
Have I ever mentioned I'm married to an idiot
post #46 of 58
Thread Starter 
Just a small Jack update.
When I got up this morning I moved Jack back into the sun porch with Jasper.
Jasper walked up to him, sniffed his head, licked his head and they both walked over to the food bowls and started to eat.
So I'd say everything went well with Jack's neuter.
post #47 of 58
Sounds like it went well. I never cease to be amazed by the kindness of TCS members.
post #48 of 58
Thread Starter 
Well, this is our last full day and night with Jasper and Jack.
Nicole has everything moved into her new apartment except for her clothes.
She's taking those over tomorrow in the late morning and then she's coming for the boys.
She told me she'd wait until my three oldest get home from school, but I think it's best of she takes them when they aren't here...especially my Daughter.
She's so attached to Jasper that I think it'll be to hard for her to see him leave.
So she can say her goodbyes tonight before she goes to bed...I'm even afraid to let her see him in the morning before school.

I've been on the verge of tears all day myself.
I don't want to let them go, but I know that Nicole loves them very much and that they'll be well taken care of.

The only "person" in this house that well be happy is Gracie...the little Princess is NOT happy that there are other cats in her house...because you know this IS Gracie's house, she just lets us live here with her

I applaude all of you that foster on a regular basis although I don't know how you're able to give them up I'm thankful that there are people like all of you in the world that are willing to do it.
One thing I have found out from all of this is that I'm not cut out to be a foster kitty Mom....this is just breaking my heart.

I just hope that Jasper and Jack know that Nicole isn't the only person who loves them.
We're going to miss those furry little orange boys.
post #49 of 58
I know it's hard to let Jack and Jasper go, but you've done a wonderful thing for them and just think how happy you've made Nicole. It sounds like she's going to take wonderful care of those adorable boys.

The "letting go" part of fostering is difficult, but ultimately rewarding to see kitties who were living on the streets or in a shelter end up in a loving home. I also really love seeing how excited the adopters about the new family member. Happy kitties and happy cats - it doesn't get any better than that.

Your Gracie sounds so much like mine. My funny little tuxedo girl is truly the queen of the house and makes it very clear she doesn't appreciate the foster kitties.

Anyway, bless you for caring enough to help Jack, Jasper and Nicole!
post #50 of 58
Thread Starter 
I know you're right, Eileen.
I keep remembering how Nicole started to cry when she found out that Jasper was safe there was no doubt in my mind that she loved him very much.
Then her willingness to take in Jack also...speaking of Jack, Nicole's ex has never looked for him...so I know I did the right thing for Jack too.

I'm not so sure that Nicole will come and get them today...we woke up to an awful mess....sleet, freezing rain and snow.
Schools all over Western, PA are closed because of it.
So I'm not really sure if Nicole will drive in this weather or not...if she can't we get an extra day with the boys

Maybe the name Gracie means Princess in cat language...it sure sounds like we both have little divas on our hands.
My Gracie does not like the boys being on HER sun porch...frankly she be happy if Annabelle and Elliott didn't live here either
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat View Post
I know you're right, Eileen.
I keep remembering how Nicole started to cry when she found out that Jasper was safe there was no doubt in my mind that she loved him very much.
Then her willingness to take in Jack also...speaking of Jack, Nicole's ex has never looked for him...so I know I did the right thing for Jack too.

I'm not so sure that Nicole will come and get them today...we woke up to an awful mess....sleet, freezing rain and snow.
Schools all over Western, PA are closed because of it.
So I'm not really sure if Nicole will drive in this weather or not...if she can't we get an extra day with the boys

Maybe the name Gracie means Princess in cat language...it sure sounds like we both have little divas on our hands.
My Gracie does not like the boys being on HER sun porch...frankly she be happy if Annabelle and Elliott didn't live here either
Well, there you have, then it. A happy ending all around! Nicole sounds like a wonderful young woman.

Sounds like a mess where you are. Please stay safe. We were supposed to get some freezing rain changing over to snow last night, but it stayed warm enough that we ended up with the plain old wet stuff. Hope you do get the extra time with the boys.

It's funny that you mention the word "Princess," because that's my Gracie's nickname that I use the most often. I've been calling her Princess she was a tiny kitten, so I think believes she really is one. She likes my oldest girl, Katie, who was here when she arrived, but doesn't have much use for Peter and Claire. It definitely sounds like both our Gracie's are divas!
post #52 of 58
Thread Starter 
It is a mess here, and Nicole called about 15 minutes ago and asked if I'd mind keeping the boys until Sunday
She really doesn't want to drive in this today...can't say that I blame her and tomorrow is Groundhog Day NOBODY that grew up in this town will leave their houses tomorrow...to many weirdos running around...."Where's Gobblers Knob"..."This town doesn't look like I did in the movie"...could be because they didn't film it here!!!
"Can you take my picture with the Groundhog statue?"

Good Lord get a life people, it's a Groundhog

We've called our Gracie "Princess Gracie" from the second we got her at 6 weeks old and she's 8 years old now.
Gracie loved her Sister Lizzie and has really been lost since Lizzie went to the bridge...she puts up with Annabelle and Elliott.
Annabelle is her favorite of the two...she tries to beat Elliott up...she's 5 pounds, he's 17 pounds...but he runs from her...he's a big sissy
post #53 of 58
Awww, I'm so glad you get the extra time with the boys!

Sounds like tomorrow's going to be a crazy day.

Gotta love our princesses. My Gracie gets downright jealous when I give Peter or Claire attention. She's been known to growl if she's sitting on my lap and either one of them gets close.
post #54 of 58
Thread Starter 
Nicole called last night so that she could talk to the boys.
Mason just looked at me and said "She's as nuts as you are"
I told him it wasn't nuts, it was love

It will be crazy here all weekend...it started yesterday in spite of the weather it'll go on today and until about 2 tomorrow afternoon.
I can't believe people travel thousands of miles in this kind of weather to see a Groundhog...oh well, I grew up with it so I guess I don't see the fasination

My Gracie is the same way.
Annabelle was a semi feral and is still pretty stand offish when it comes to being held or petted.
Those times that she does come to us for a pet are special...but not to Gracie.
Gracie tries to push her out of the way as if to say..."Those are my humans how dare you expect them to pet you!"
Oh well, I just love my little orange Princess to death and I wouldn't want her any other way
post #55 of 58
Thread Starter 
Well, Nicole called earlier and she's coming for the boys at 1.
Please send my some stay calm vibes so that I don't burst into tears when she comes to the door.
I know she loves them, but I do too!
post #56 of 58
Hope things go well today - I think there is a bit of a differnce with fostering, we take them in knowing that our job is to find them a fab new home - you thought you were giving him a good home, so to have that changed must have been hard. This has been a truly heartwarming story though, I am so glad I read it, it is nice to know there are nice, kind people out there.
post #57 of 58
Sorry not to catch this sooner. Hope all went well today. I know you'll miss the boys, but think how happy you've made Nicole and what a wonderful life those sweet cats will have because of you!
post #58 of 58
Thread Starter 
Everything went pretty well.
When she was getting ready to leave I had to turn around.
She hugged me and told me that she'd never be able to thank me for finding and taking care of Jasper and for taking in Jack too.
Speaking of Jack, the ex never once asked about him...so I know I did the right thing there!

My Daughter cried, but Nicole let her carry Jasper to the car...she must have kissed his head 50 times...Jack got a lot of kisses too.

She told me again that anytime we want to come see the boys that we know where she lives and all we have to do is ring the bell.
I made sure that she knows that ANYTIME she has to go out of town...even for a day... she can bring the boys here.
She told me she MIGHT go to Disney World with her Brother and his family in September for two weeks...I told her the "Kitty Bed and Breakfast" will be open

Mason asked her if she was going anywhere to watch the Super Bowl...she said no, but that her brother had asked her to go there but she said she just wanted to stay home with her boys.

I'm very sorry that we couldn't keep them, but I am glad that I decided to talk to Nicole that day.
It's very clear how much she loves them, especially Jasper.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats S.O.S
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Should we just take Jasper