make-up/foundation question

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How the heck do you pick a foundation shade? I am sitting here looking at some foundations but I have no idea what shade to pick. I have this same problem in the store and this is why I never buy any. Suggestions, ideas, tips?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Go to a big department store/mall and ask the nicest and most patient looking woman working in the make-up department to help you.
I'm mixed race so I get totally lost trying to find anything to match my skin tone (particularly stockings!) so I just ask from the start now and life is much easier.

Also, bring a friend who is make-up savvy to reassure you, and prevent you being swamped by a sales assistant who wants you to buy everything they sell.
I barely wear make-up (as you can probably tell by my tips
) and I use Lancome Colour Ideal, which is also spf 15, just to make my skin look less red/blotchy.
You may just need tinted moisturiser, if you just want a slightly more even skin tone effect.
I was told that the most important thing is to exfoliate and moisturise to avoid funny little dark patches where the foundation gets trapped on dry skin.
Hope I helped!

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed your location is Georgia...a hot state like my own, & I haven't worn foundation in years, it's just too hot & muggy here most of the time. Have you thought about using a powder foundation? I use powder foundation compacts, I moisturize first & don't apply the powder to my whole face, mostly in the T zone area & around my eyes a little to help even things out, then I blend it out with my fingers, I don't take it to my jawline or up into my hairliine, it's just enough to even out my skin. I get something close & don't have to worry about makeup mask lines at my jaw or wherever. Maybe in the winter you could use a tinted moisturizer with the same technique.. If you are getting older(like me) liquid foundation seems a little more obvious, especially in the blazing sun. Less is always better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 27. I usually use powder (back when I wore) biggest problem I have is break outs and choosing the right shade.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually just use those shade indicators located by the foundations.

Based on your pictures, you may want to try one of the Ivories...hmmm..either a soft ivory or a classic ivory. If you are able to open the product, dab a little on either the back of your hand or the inside of your wrist (for me though I find my wrist is paler than my face, so I tend to go with the back of the hand).

If it blends so that you can't tell where the makeup is you have a match

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Luna.

Now when it comes to powders which is best. Back when I used to wear it pressed was all I even bought. Now I look around and there is so many different types of powder. Mousses, creams etc that go on like a liquid dry like a powder. So which is best or should I just stick with what I know.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use pressed powder and break out, I would switch to loose powder. You may also want to look into those "goes on as a cream, but dries powder-finished". Those work great in hot & humid weather and you only have to worry about buying one product instead of two!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

For me its easy..I just have to pick the palest possible one
I have the same problem, as does my mom and older sister. We're like ghosts! Seriously...my older sister's high school nickname was Casper, and some called me Casper II!

It looked worse on my sister with her almost black hair....she now dies it a reddish shade to balance out.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use only powders because it's easier for me to pick the right shade than with liquids. Plus, to me it feels better on my face.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I am 27. I usually use powder (back when I wore) biggest problem I have is break outs and choosing the right shade.
I used to have that same problem. I would get break outs regularly - and now that I've changed my foundation to Bare Minerals loose powder, my skin has cleared up 100% & I don't get 'monthly' breakouts either

I'd go to a makeup counter in a department store & ask someone to help you out, usually you'll get a makeover for free. Thats what they did for me at Bare Essentials & I loved it! I was able to find my correct shade, for free

I like it because its so light & doesn't seem like your wearing makeup, but it covers like a dream!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wear powders anymore. Once you reach over 40 and start getting little fine lines the powder gets trapped and makes you look even older. Since I'm almost a decade past 40 ..... Well, you can guess!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

For me its easy..I just have to pick the palest possible one
Bleh...lucky. I use to do that too until Goth people began to tell me they envy how pale I was...I discovered two years ago that my skin is actually "Natural Ivory" which is more pinkish than yellow or white. Only a few manufacturers make that color.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you dont know your skin colour you cant buy things online. You need to go to the shop and test things out your self. to test it rub a little powder and smear it along the jaw line, just a little bit so you can see the difference. when you manage to get "the colour" then you buy it. Its difficult because other brands are different colours and some brands may look bad on you.

Remember that you need to do the three step process if you want long lasting make up.

Serum - Hydrant - Day cream - liquid make up - powder

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I can not go to a place and try the make up to my skin. I live in a small town where none of that is available. The closest mall or big dept store is to far away just for make up. So I guess this is a trial and error thing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apply a small amount on your neck next to your jaw line. If it blends in it is your shade. If it leaves a line of demarkation then it's either too light or too dark.

To check how a lipstick will look on your lips, apply the lipstick to the pad of your thumb and then hold your thumb up to your face. The skin on your lips and the pad of your thumb are very similar in texture and colour.

emily-jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Choosing a foundation can be very hard, even in department stores, i work as a make-up artist in a department store, and the lighting sucks.

But the best way would be to get an MA to match up your skintone. And remember in summer/winter its best to have your colour rematched as your skin sees the sun alot your skintone on your arms and chest is most likely to change and then fade again in the winter and you don't want a different coloured head!