My cats skin disorder? I have no clue what it is (photo's included)

lebouski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Ike is my cat and she means alot to me. She has had this weird skin problem that seems to be related to stress maybe. Ike is an indoor cat and has been one for her whole life. She eats a good cat food that uses all good ingreidents called " blue ". Anyways, here are some pictures

These are only a few pictures of the " ulcers "? lol. She lives around 2 dogs and 1 kitten. They show no signs of skin disorders. She has been around other cats in other homes and they have also had NO signs of skin irritations or anything. Do you think it's a nerve problem? and if it is.....can it be fixed by a medication? She doesn't have any visible parasite on her skin ( as far as i know ).

and her face

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know what it is. Have you changed her food lately? Are they on flea medication? Does she go outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lebouski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been an indoor cat her whole life and she is currently on " blue " cat food.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Has she seen a vet for this yet? There are so many possible reasons for skin problems that she needs to see a vet to get a correct diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lebouski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no, i haven't been able to afford the extremly high prices

How will a vet diagnose a problem like this? will he add up the symptoms? or will he run tests on samples?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it really depends on what it is. If it is something simple he may know right away from looking at it and hearing the symptoms and if he can't tell from that, he will run tests.

Perhaps you can look for a vet that has a payment plan? Your cat must be a bit uncomfortable and really needs to be seen.

Some members also get credit through this company:

www.carecredit.com

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
I would think a vet would take a small sample of the skin to decide if its parisites or fungal, some skin conditions are stress related but with a bit of luck what ever your cat has is treatable by pills are lotion,

Do you have a pet smart near where you live?

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lebouski

no, i haven't been able to afford the extremly high prices

How will a vet diagnose a problem like this? will he add up the symptoms? or will he run tests on samples?
Honestly, a vet will be much better equipped to diagnose a problem like this than untrained people on a forum. We may have personal experiences that can relate to this problem but it's always best to have a professional look it over. I think you should set aside money to have it checked out.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be a bacterial infection... if you had a nasty wound like that, would YOU see a doctor? The cat needs to see a vet. They will probably press some slides on the skin to see what kinds of cells are there, and if there are any infectious organisms there as well so they can treat the problem.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
please take your kitty to the vet. Most are willing to work out a payment plan. Just because your kitty acts fairly normal does not mean they aren't sick or hurting.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Surprised no one has mentioned ringworm. Sure looks like it could be ringworm. If you have a black light and you shine it on her in a completely dark room and it glows- it is ringworm. Whatever it is- photos aren't very clear- your cat needs to see a vet in order to clear it up.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first guess would be ringworm! I don't know if anyone else mentioned that yet bc I didn't read the thread
but that is the first thing that popped into my head. We are dealing with it right now at the rescue I am with and thats exactly what it looks like and where it pops up on cats, I have it on my arm right now so be ware that you and your dogs and cats can all get it too. Simple to treat, anti-fungal cream works from the drugstore. I use apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil or iodine on my own ringworm.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
it might be ringworm... or another fungal infection... or a bacterial infection [Firefox had one of these] or even feline herpes [Pixel develops skin ulcers when she has a flare-up]. only a good vet would be able to distinguish which it is - all have differing treatments. that's why so many people are suggesting a vet visit.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It might be ringworm that has opened up due to her scratching or a bacterial infection or allergies. You really need to get her to a vet. Most places have low cost vet services now.