Waging tails?

jtm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is always waging her tail. She is a Maine Coon and is always waging her tail. I had a Male Coon at one time, and he barely waged his tail. I thought this was a dog thing?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ferris has tail swishing (angry, gonna attack) and tail WAGGING (happy, being petted or just got food.)

Cats talk quite a bit with their tails, actually. Tail flicks, tail swishing, bent tails, tails held straight up, horizontal, between their legs - there is an entire vocabulary in those tails!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree.

Tail wagging can mean soooo many things in a cat, it is just another form of expression and you eventually can tell the cats mood entirely from the tail movements.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JTM

My cat is always waging her tail. She is a Maine Coon and is always waging her tail. I had a Male Coon at one time, and he barely waged his tail. I thought this was a dog thing?
Ally's tail seems to never stop wagging. You might say it is more of a constant twitching but it drives Persi crazy. I had always read cats were irritated when they wagged their tail, unlike dogs. But I do not think Alley is constantly irritated. Maybe she just loves annoying Persi!

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
George (part Maine Coon) LOVES his tail - and he takes every opportunity to show it off (he's very proud of it). I've learned to tell the difference between the "get away from me" and the "I'm enjoying what's happening" tail swish.

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a big gray tabby named Spock and he's got a short stubby tail, about 2 1/2 inches long. It looks just like a dog's tail so when he's swishing it, he's actually WAGGING it. It's hilarious! It's normal though, don't worry.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callie, my tortie, constantly wags her tail!! It's always a happy thing, too.

Stephanie

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
both my cats wag their tails..especially when i'm playing with them...
they love chasing the laser beam on the wall, floor etc..and they wag their tails...
of course I know when they are annoyed cause they thump the tails..lol