Woo Hoo!! I finished it!!!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I finally finished reading War & Peace!!
It took me long enough. Natalie (Trout's Mom) had a thread awhile back about reading books and I mentioned in that one that I had been reading it for over 2 years. Well, I did a bit of research this morning and the last book I read before War & Peace was finished in April of 2006. I didn't pick up W&P to start reading right away though. So it was probably mid-year in 2006 when I started it. There were also times where I never picked the book up at night.....long stretches like that. But anyway, I finally finished it today!!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, now please submit your 2,000 word book report by October, 2008.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Wow! I finallyl finished reading War & Peace!!
It took me long enough. Natalie (Trout's Mom) had a thread awhile back about reading books and I mentioned in that one that I had been reading it for over 2 years. Well, I did a bit of research this morning and the last book I read before War & Peace was finished in April of 2006. I didn't pick up W&P to start reading right away though. So it was probably mid-year in 2006 when I started it. There were also times where I never picked the book up at night.....long stretches like that. But anyway, I finally finished it today!!!
Now you can read Anna Karenina, which is quite a bit shorter, but the one that Tolstoy says was his best. And I agree.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is an amazing book, a great story that the film did not do total justice to - though I loved it too. I must confess I skipped or speed-read some bits though.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

It is an amazing book, a great story that the film did not do total justice to - though I loved it too. I must confess I skipped or speed-read some bits though.
Which film are you talking about? The 7-hour Russian film was the most expensive movie ever made and in my opinion, the greatest movie ever made. If you are talking about the Audrey Hepburn rip-off, I quite agree.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, the question is, did you like it? Or are you just happy you accomplished reading it? That is one of the few classics I haven't gotten around to yet. I think the size along with it being called a "Classic" intimidates me a little. I'm not even sure what the premise is...except that it's about War...and Peace.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well done!
Just reading that book merits as an accomplishment!

I agree with Persi&Alley about Anna Karenina. I'd put that on your list when you're ready for another Russian classic.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations...that's quite an accomplishment!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

OK, now please submit your 2,000 word book report by October, 2008.
OK wait! First I have to go back and read the first 1/4 of the book again.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Congrats!! how many pages is the book exactly?
1044......after you count the publisher's preface, the introduction, the notes to opening chapters, dates of principal events, the first epilogue, the second epilogue, and some words about war & peace!

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Now you can read Anna Karenina, which is quite a bit shorter, but the one that Tolstoy says was his best. And I agree.
It's on my list.

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Wohoo! Good for you!

Now when I get to that one on my list I know who to go to for some pep talks!

Originally Posted by calico2222

Now, the question is, did you like it? Or are you just happy you accomplished reading it? That is one of the few classics I haven't gotten around to yet. I think the size along with it being called a "Classic" intimidates me a little. I'm not even sure what the premise is...except that it's about War...and Peace.
I enjoyed it. Not thoroughly or anything though.
Let's just say I immensely enjoyed the "non" war parts.

Originally Posted by pushylady

Well done!

I agree with Persi&Alley about Anna Karenina. I'd put that on your list when you're ready for another Russian classic.
Anna Karenina is on my list. What I mean by "my list" is this. Several years ago, I started a "subscription" if you will. It is called the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written. I get one book a month at about $45. Awhile back, I was having a hard time affording them, so I called them and asked them to slow down my shipments to one every 3 months. At the beginning, they send you a list of the books you will receive. If you don't want any, you cross off the ones you don't want and send the list back. If you want them all, you do nothing. I decided to get them all. I just recently received book #54. So far I have read...
1 Moby Dick
2 Great Expectations
3 Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
4 The History of Early Rome
5 Pride and Prejudice
6 Jane Eyre
7 War & Peace

I have a ton of reading ahead of me!!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Anna Karenina is on my list. What I mean by "my list" is this. Several years ago, I started a "subscription" if you will. It is called the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written. I get one book a month at about $45. Awhile back, I was having a hard time affording them, so I called them and asked them to slow down my shipments to one every 3 months. At the beginning, they send you a list of the books you will receive. If you don't want any, you cross off the ones you don't want and send the list back. If you want them all, you do nothing. I decided to get them all. I just recently received book #54. So far I have read...
1 Moby Dick
2 Great Expectations
3 Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
4 The History of Early Rome
5 Pride and Prejudice
6 Jane Eyre
7 War & Peace

I have a ton of reading ahead of me!!!!
I forgot to say congratulations. I am also working on a top 100 list (I wonder if it is the same as yours) but when I got to Crime and Punishment, I got in a holding pattern and read the remaining 12 or so Russian books. While I was reading Crime and Punishment I kept thinking I had read it before and it finally dawned on me that the old TV series Columbo was based on this novel!

P.S. On my list, War and Peace is rated number two. And I do not care what list you have, the same book is always rated number one on any list I have ever seen and that is Don Quijote.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1004 isn't that bad I guess, especially if you cut all the extra stuff
I can speed thru a 500 page novel, but that's a romance novel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I forgot to say congratulations. I am also working on a top 100 list (I wonder if it is the same as yours) but when I got to Crime and Punishment, I got in a holding pattern and read the remaining 12 or so Russian books. While I was reading Crime and Punishment I kept thinking I had read it before and it finally dawned on me that the old TV series Columbo was based on this novel!

P.S. On my list, War and Peace is rated number two. And I do not care what list you have, the same book is always rated number one on any list I have ever seen and that is Don Quijote.
My topp 100 is from The Easton Press.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

1004 isn't that bad I guess, especially if you cut all the extra stuff
I can speed thru a 500 page novel, but that's a romance novel
Without the extra stuff the book is 1035 pages.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Well done!

BTW, we have a Russian neighbor who gets upset when this Karenina word is pronounced as a Spanish word (KarenEENa). It is KarENina. Born and raised in Moscow.