Pillow-case rant

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was ironing today, and I realised that I have at least four completely different sizes of bedroom pillow case. British pillows are small and oblong, Bosnian ones are usually square, French ones are either large and square or long and thin (like bolsters), and US ones are large and not quite square. I have pillows and cases of all types, gathered as I moved around the world. I am forever putting large pillows into small cases or vice versa, and matching up my bedding is a nightmare. Am I unique, or does anyone else have this problem? And more to the point, why are bed pillows so different in different countries?

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I thought a pillow was just a pillow
Of course there is the problem of the v-shaped ones..they are a pain in the neck to put in their cases!

I have two pillows on my bed which seem to have shrunk somehow, the cases are too big for them now, and they never used to be

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem, Jenny, as some of my pillowcases are from Germany, some from the U.S., and some "imported" from who knows where. Here, the pillows are usually either 80 x 80 cm, or 80 x 40. A king-sized pillowcase from the U.S. is too big for the 80 x 40 cm pillows we prefer.

I have a big bolster pillow, made in Germany, and have somehow ended up with two different sizes of German pillowcases for it.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You IRON???? what in the heck is that?
I was thinking the same thing!
You'd have to pay me to iron pillow cases. That's what pillows are for, they stretch the wrinkles out!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Am I unique, or does anyone else have this problem? And more to the point, why are bed pillows so different in different countries?
Nope, it drives me crazy, and then I have a contoured tempurpaedic pillow that no regular pillow cases fit and because they are terry cloth and stretchy they don't look contoured and I am forever trying to put regular pillows into them.

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Why does the U.S. not adopt the decimal system? Just to be different?
They did have a federal mandate to adopt the metric system and ever set up the US Metric Board to facilitate the change over under Ford, but for some unknown reason, was dissolved in the 80s.

This
explains the possible reasons why it was dissolved and why the US never took up the metric system

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't iron more than I have to. But I do have some wonderful Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases that are so luxurious, but do have to be ironed. And all the linen for the cottage has to be ironed - you can't expect paying guests to sleep in wrinkled sheets!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I haven't been around the world but I know in S. Korea, they sell the ones like in the U.S., kind of rectangular. I don't like square ones because I toss and turn a lot in the night and the longer the better, lol!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the lable says "iron" or "dry clean" - its not in our house

One of DH's aunts made a comment one time that our kitchen curtains "should be ironed so there is no creases"! We brushed it off - I'm NOT about to iron curtains. They get tossed in the washing machine and dried.

IMO its NOT her house, NOT her curtains, and if she wanted them ironed she could do it, cause neither DH nor I will
Besides I remember my mom teaching me and my sister about ironing stuff (she did my dad's shirts) - was something I had no desire to do when grown up

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't travelled so have only Queen Size, King Size from our other bed and a couple Regular Size. Makes it easy.

As for ironing, you are going to hate me for this, but I LOVE ironing. I iron sheets, pillowcases, T-shirts, slacks, and I press all our blue jeans.

My daughter still teases me because some years ago she bought one of those skirts that are all wrinkly. I washed it and ironed all the wrinkles out which took me forever.
She told me I ruined her skirt - that it was SUPPOSED to be wrinkled.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assumed (incorrectly) that bed pillows were the same everywere.
If you didn't have pillows to fit the cases I would find another use for them.