Oh no I think I'm getting.....

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PINK EYE

This is terrible. I hate pink eye. Now I'll have to miss a couple days of school and play catch up the rest of the semester. Does anyone know if your cats can catch it from you? The last thing I want to do is give it to them.

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that it is highly contagious but I'm not sure if it can be spread to cats. Good question. Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, not pink eye
I shouldn't even be in this thread. I have had pink eye more than once, in fact, just this past September where it spread to both eyes!! I hate pink eye!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Oh no, not pink eye
I shouldn't even be in this thread. I have had pink eye more than once, in fact, just this past September where it spread to both eyes!! I hate pink eye!!
I know the feeling. This is 6th time I've had. Why can't it be like chicken pox? Get it once only.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

PINK EYE

This is terrible. I hate pink eye. Now I'll have to miss a couple days of school and play catch up the rest of the semester. Does anyone know if your cats can catch it from you? The last thing I want to do is give it to them.
I don't think it can spread but I'd check with a vet. My hubby got pink eye right after we got married and I managed to steer clear of it. I never even thought about the cats! But they were both fine too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had pinkeye probably at least a hundred times, I kid you not! And I've never given it to my cats. I also worked through it the last time I had it and didn't give it to anyone. I just didn't touch anyone else's things and used lysol spray everywhere constantly. I also called my DR and got on some antibiotic eye drops ASAP. (I would have loved to take off work for it, but my co-worker was on vacation and that meant there was no one at all to take over our class.)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had it.

Pink eye is a very generic term, by the way. It's not always caused by an infection and sometimes what you may think is "pink eye" may be another chronic condition all together...

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I've had pinkeye probably at least a hundred times, I kid you not!
Have you had your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist? To have that so often doesn't sound right and it would be a good idea to make sure there hasn't been any other lasting damage.

Your eyes are precious. Yet it's something we all take for granted.
After experiencing awful pain, pressure, redness, and light sensitivity in mine a few months ago I'm now much more concerned/paranoid in caring for mine.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that really stinks. Once I got it in both eyes and I was miserable. for no pink eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just got back from the doctor and she confirmed that it is pink eye. So I'm on antibiotic drops for a week and I've been told to try to stay away from people for a couple days so it doesn't spread.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why do you have to miss school over an eye infection?
Originally Posted by babyharley

Isn't it contagious?
Exactly. It highly contagious. It doesn't really do anything to harm your body, it's just a nuisance.

For more info on pink eye go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_eye

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's contagious until 24 hrs of being on antibiotics. I believe its only contagious to other humans! Walmart and Target have some excellent pink eye relief drops by the regular eye drops that can help until you see a doc!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Well I just got back from the doctor and she confirmed that it is pink eye. So I'm on antibiotic drops for a week and I've been told to try to stay away from people for a couple days so it doesn't spread.

Exactly. It highly contagious. It doesn't really do anything to harm your body, it's just a nuisance.

For more info on pink eye go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_eye
Thats what I thought

I remember when my mom had a daycare out of our home & there would ALWAYS be a parent that would bring their child in with pink eye!
One of me or my brothers would always get it, along with a daycare kid!

I don't get some people- stay home if you are infected!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats what I thought

I remember when my mom had a daycare out of our home & there would ALWAYS be a parent that would bring their child in with pink eye!
One of me or my brothers would always get it, along with a daycare kid!

I don't get some people- stay home if you are infected!
I used to work in daycare and if the teachers got it, we were required to work with the children anyway. If one called in for pink eye, they got written up.

You'd be surprised at what people bring their kids to daycare with....

Glad you are on the mend. But yeah, given daycare/ state standards you are only contagious for 24 hours after getting the anti-biotics. This holds up, but sanitize and wash everything just in case!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

I used to work in daycare and if the teachers got it, we were required to work with the children anyway. If one called in for pink eye, they got written up.

You'd be surprised at what people bring their kids to daycare with....
Oh I know, I saw it for 17 years, its unreal!

Sorry for the
!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband had pink eye and he worked all through it. He's in liquor service. The doctor said he could go back to work even with it, so that's what he did, Kept working and it went away. Noone else got it from him, not even me.

Neffie and Twig just finished meds for a type of kitty pink eye. It's not contagious to humans though.