Female exam question

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week I got my annual pap smear done. I was a little surprised when the doctor said that my cervix is low, so she had to lift it to get the pap done. I was only surprised because non of my previous OB GYNs had ever mentioned this.

Anyway, she warned me that I may experience a little bleeding but not for long. Since I've been lightly spotting, then today my period started...10 days early.

The only thing I can account for it starting early is 1) I was off birth control for 2 months 2) I started new birth control and 3) I've been under an enormous amount of [financial] stress lately.

I just wanted to post this to make sure no one else has experienced early bleeding and thought it was from stress, but turns out it was something completely different. Any one?

Thanks!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's really a question for your doctor. Someone else's experience can give you a false sense of fear, or a false sense of security...neither very good.
If you had a question about your kitty, you'd get advice to talk to a vet...you should treat yourself at least as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very true...more than likely its stress related. I think I'm just weirded out after 12 years of paps, getting told that my cervix is low (even though she said it wasn't a bad thing).

Besides I almost always get my period a week early when I'm this stressed. I just thought it was coincidence though that it spotted then started. I think I'll just wait it out and see if it runs its 4 day course...if not, I'm calling!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm just weirded out after 12 years of paps, getting told that my cervix is low (even though she said it wasn't a bad thing).
It isn't a bad thing
It just means that you have ovulated already and are preparing to have a period. It's perfectly normal and it happens to all women.

http://www.webwomb.com/cervical_position_frame_page.htm

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd agree with what Natalie has said.. when you ovulate or near ovulation your cervix lowers and becomes soft and spongy- you can actually feel it internally. It's one of the classic fertility signs used in natural family planning.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Im no doctor so I dont really have any advice in that area! I have had birth control switch things around on me for a while! That stuff can do that, but if things dont go normally, Go To The DOCTOR!!

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cervix changes position during the month depending on your fertility. It will drop down lower and get spongy when you are going to have your period. Since you mentioned switching b.c, you may have ovulated and so your cycle got messed up a tad. It's no big deal. But for a doctor, who's used to having her scheduled pap smears for a woman's certain time of the month, she's prob not used to seeing the cervix in that low of a position and that prompted her to mention it.

It's really no big deal, perfectly natural.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Yes, I feel much better after reading that line Linda, thanks!

I'm positive now its just all timing rather than her causing anything. I'm tired, moody and craving chocolate. Perfectly normal

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew the cervix changed position. Learn something new everyday. I was once told by a doctor that I had the "longest" cervix he ever saw. What do you say to that? "ummm....thank you? I think???" I have NO idea what he meant by that one!

I'm glad to hear everything sounds normal. Stress and changing BC probably did most of it, plus I've found any kind of deep poking or proding done when I have PMS will bring it on before I actually expect it by the calander. But, that comment probably would have freaked me out too.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not being too dramatic about it. I guess my cervix is just a sensitive organ...when you poke it, it starts to cry

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not being too dramatic about it. I guess my cervix is just a sensitive organ...when you poke it, it starts to cry

Mine cries too after the "annual"

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remember taking a natural family planning class and having the instructor talk about how to tell if you are ovulating- it involves feeling your cervix. All I could think was, "You want me to do what!?!"