Kinda weirded out

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting here at the computer, which faces away from an old wicker chair that DH's mother gave him years ago. All of a sudden it sounded like a cat was using it for a scratching post. Swanie is curled up next to me on the couch, so I got up carefully and looked to see if Cindy was behind the chair. No Cindy - she's upstairs. The chair made noises for about a minute. I see nothing that all over there. Even Swanie woke up and looked at it.

It's never done that before - kinda made me feel weird - I wonder what caused it to do that?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, wicker does make some strange noises, especially if it's older and has gone through a lot of temperture changes. My grandma had an old chair in her dining room that had a wicker seat and back. It was her mother's mother's, or something like that (no one EVER was allowed to sit on it!). It would make strange noises and when I was little Grandma used to tell me that was my Great Grandma's ghost coming to visit and making sure I was behaving myself. Yeah, that kinda freaked me out!

After I got older, I asked mom about that, and she said it is just a wicker thing. Grandma used that line on her when SHE was growing up. But, it worked!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They must know it was the rats; the slithering, scurrying rats whose scampering will never let me sleep; the daemon rats that race behind the padding in this room and beckon me down to greater horrors than I have ever known; the rats they can never hear; the rats, the rats in the walls.

H.P. Lovecraft
"The Rats in the Walls"

Just kidding.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Actually, wicker does make some strange noises, especially if it's older and has gone through a lot of temperture changes. My grandma had an old chair in her dining room that had a wicker seat and back. It was her mother's mother's, or something like that (no one EVER was allowed to sit on it!). It would make strange noises and when I was little Grandma used to tell me that was my Great Grandma's ghost coming to visit and making sure I was behaving myself. Yeah, that kinda freaked me out!

After I got older, I asked mom about that, and she said it is just a wicker thing. Grandma used that line on her when SHE was growing up. But, it worked!
So then you're saying that every wicker furniture that was owned by someone who has since passed is haunted?
J/K.

I agree, its just a wicker thing. Usually in the dryer temps (which it almost always is in winter) they tend to dry up easier and make noise from that. Place a humidifier in the same room and see if that prevents the noise from returning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

They must know it was the rats; the slithering, scurrying rats whose scampering will never let me sleep; the daemon rats that race behind the padding in this room and beckon me down to greater horrors than I have ever known; the rats they can never hear; the rats, the rats in the walls.

H.P. Lovecraft
"The Rats in the Walls"

Just kidding.

This particular wicker has never made any noise of any kind to my knowledge. DH said not to his knowledge either. But maybe it's just getting to the age where it starts.

Personally, I vote for ghost cat.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vote goes with the ghost cat....even they need to give a good scratch on something now and then...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much UNLESS the wicker chair starts rocking or moving on its own and no one is around - THEN its the ghost cat or something else