Automatic Litter Box Cleaner - Feedback pls

gman123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My wife and I would like to be able to go on vacation for a few days without hiring a cat box cleaner.

We have 2 cats - one is a very large heavy cat.

We are hoping to benefit from the experience of anyone who already has an automatic cat box cleaning system.

1) What brand do you have?

2) Does it work well for you?

3) Can it use generic clumping type kitty litter?

4) Any problems or cautions about using your brand?

5) How many cats do you have and how long can you leave it unattended?

6) Is our idea practical, or would we be wasting money on this?

Thanks so much!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from the box, would anyone be checking on your cat? I would not leave a cat for more than 24 hours, even with automatic cat box cleaners or feeders, without someone xhecking. All kinds of things can happen, and the cat/s would be worried and lonely if no one came near them.

usameisje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a Scoopfree box for my kitty bootsie.

It only uses crystal litter though. I love it, and so does Bootsie, she has been with us for over a month now with ZERO kitty accidents.
I bought a forever tray for it and use the Fresh step crystals I buy at Target to refill.

I know some people love Litter Robot, but it is very expensive. Some people swear by Littermaid, but some people hate it. I would try any new box out with kitty before you go to make sure kitty finds it acceptable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gman123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We'll certainly going to try out the box before we go

What were trying to find out is - do these boxes work well? Are they worth the money? Do some brands not work well? What problems have people had with them?

Thanks

ortal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard very bad reviews about the litter maid automatic cleaner... just read reviews on the net... you'll see.

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1) What brand do you have?
Litter Robot (2x)

2) Does it work well for you?
Amazingly well.

3) Can it use generic clumping type kitty litter?
Yes, exclusively.

4) Any problems or cautions about using your brand?
None so far

4. I empty the bin one a week.

Practical above all else!

misspijon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I finally decided to cough up the dough for the Litter Robot. It is AMAZING! It's the only self-cleaning litter box that doesn't jam, or get the clumps stuck on the rake, etc. Litter Maids are awful because if the cat goes on the rake, it hardens on there and never dumps into the bin. Then on top of that, the bin never closes all the way so it always stinks. My Litter Robot does not smell at all as the waste (and only the waste - it's very litter efficient!) gets deposited underneath where the actual litterbox is. I've had friends and family stand right next to the litterbox, amazed that it doesn't smell at all, asking me what it is.

The only two cons for the Litter Robot:
1.) It's expensive. BUT, considering how many times I had to replace my Litter Maids from breaking, and how I had to constantly buy those stupid filters (you can just use a garbage bag with the Litter Robot!), I figure in the end it's cheaper.
2.) Your cats have to go inside of it to use it. If you have a skittish cat, like mine, it can be difficult for them to get used to it. But once they do it's really nice because since it's enclosed, there's no fear of them tossing litter out of the pan.

Brittany

7felines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have (3) LitterMaid Automatic Boxes and really have had no Problems and No Smell--just don't fill it too much as it is Hard to Rake it.

Good Luck and I hope you do have someone checking on your cats while you are gone.
Ginnie

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sure we will be forgiven for just copying our response to a similar question elsewhere on the forum.
------------------------------------------

Jim and I second Brittany all the way. We tried Litter Maid twice, with very poor results and service both times. We would never use one again.

Last month we got the Litter Robot for our three babies, and our only regret is that we did not learn of it years ago. Having at least three cats most of our lives together these near 50 years, we smile in chorus every time the Litter Robot does its thing. Not only is it clean, but it is clean-smelling at all times, although we need empty it only every two or three days. We have convinced ourselves that our babies now occasionally trigger it just to see it go through its drill. You can find it at www.litter-robot.com.

Read the comments of the satisfied users on the website. We second all those as well. Some might say it is not cheap, but Jim and I feel it would be cheap at twice the price.

Ann & Jim, cared for by their Turkish Vans, on a beach in Texas

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
1) What brand do you have? mine are Littermaids - i have 4.

2) Does it work well for you? yes

3) Can it use generic clumping type kitty litter? i'm currently using Petsmart's Exquisicat brand, & it's working ok.

4) Any problems or cautions about using your brand? can get stuck & need manual resetting. also needs to be checked [i do it at least once a day, when i can] for non-central pee clumps [i have a couple of corner pee-ers.] altho i left the cats alone for about 6 days a couple of weeks ago, & they did fine.

i have 5 cats. i have to empty the receptacles about once a week now that i have 4 boxes.
there is a seller on eBay that sells larger containers to use with Littermaid boxes. Slide-n-Toss

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Several years ago when I had three cats I had a Littermaid... I hated it. Maybe it was because my cats didn't know how to aim, but it was really hard to rake and it just never seemed to work right... Good luck!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Litter Robots are just heavenly. My three cats all happily use it. I happily clean it. Everybody's happy.

harlowquin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You say you have three and they use it. I just purchased a litter robot. At this time I have two cats. They both are using it just fine. I am soon to pick up another ragdoll. So my question is this. Is the litter robot your only litter box? I had been using a purfoma litter box before the new purchase of the robot last week. The purfoma was hard to keep clean because of the rakes. I would love to only use one litter box for that reason. Can my robot handle three cats?

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by harlowquin

You say you have three and they use it. I just purchased a litter robot. At this time I have two cats. They both are using it just fine. I am soon to pick up another ragdoll. So my question is this. Is the litter robot your only litter box? I had been using a purfoma litter box before the new purchase of the robot last week. The purfoma was hard to keep clean because of the rakes. I would love to only use one litter box for that reason. Can my robot handle three cats?
We use only the Litter Robot for all three cats. Two of them are very big Turkish Vans, and the third is a large domesticated ex-feral. If I got lucky I have succeeded in attaching a photo of our huge male TV. I know Ragdolls get large, but not often as big as Samwise.

While we occasionally remove and replace the litter bag on the second day, it can easily handle our three cats three days. Then we simply remove the bag in the base, replace it with another standard plastic 13 gallon "kitchen garbage bag," the dirty litter bag goes into the trash ("dust bin," to our dear friends across the pond) and all is well for another 3 days. What a relief as compared with when we used a litter box. It seems we were cleaning the litter box almost continuously. Our cats want a clean box -- they have always insisted on it, and no less than 7 minutes after a cat uses the Litter Robot their "litter box" is clean again. They sometimes race each other to get to the Robot to be the first to use it.

The only problem we had was at the very beginning. The Vans were a little scared to crawl into the robot to do their business, but the ex-feral went right to it, as it was so nice and clean. When the two Vans were crossing all 4 legs we used a hint from another user. We placed their old litter box next to the Robot, they promptly used it, giving sighs of relief, but then we refrained from scooping it. We held our noses for 2 days, the Vans decided they could no longer stand it, and they have used the Robot happily ever since. We held a ceremony as the old litter box then went into the dust bin -- forever.

Should you be afraid you might have this problem, read the manufacturer's generous policy on returns -- all you have to do is return it with either 30 or 60 days -- can't remember -- getting old.

Jim & Ann, the Van Fans, with Samwise, Molly and Miss Kitty, on a Texas beach

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, it's the only box for my three as well. In the morning, it's humming a lot, but is no problem.

harlowquin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I was hoping that the robot could handle three. We are on week two and both of my rags are doing just fine with it. It took some adjustment of the sensor but everything is smooth now. We will be getting our new kitten in a few weeks. Thinking I may have to run it on man. I just love the photo of your cat!! One of the prettiest I have seen on this board. Please post more!!!!

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by harlowquin

Thanks! I was hoping that the robot could handle three. We are on week two and both of my rags are doing just fine with it. It took some adjustment of the sensor but everything is smooth now. We will be getting our new kitten in a few weeks. Thinking I may have to run it on man. I just love the photo of your cat!! One of the prettiest I have seen on this board. Please post more!!!!
Since you are thinking about running it on manual, you are obviously aware than this may be necessary for a while since your new rag will be a kitten. We often run ours on manual even 'tho our three are monsters, because we are convinced that they will sometimes step up on the step and sit in front of it waiting to watch Robot do his thing.

Only because you ask,
, and if we have figured the system out right, we have attached a couple more photos of Samwise, our dearest love, and one of the most handsome Turkish Vans around - he is both GC and GP. Needless to say we are always ready to show him off.
Samwise loves Ragdolls -- he was always situated next to several on the show circuit, and did he flirt.

When you find yourself bowing down in front of the Robot you will have finally become a confirmed fan.

Ann & Jim, The Van Fans, looked after by Samwise, Molly and Miss Kitty, on a Texas beach

(Edit: obviously did not figure out attaching photos, since this time we only posted links. Oh well, you can call them up. Old Samwise says "Howdy to the Ragdolls!)