How much shedding is too much?

dashalovesyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm a relatively new cat owner and I've been reading and following all of the advice on this forums with great results.

On November 21, we adopted a 4 year old boy from animal care and control. He is a "regular" short hair domestic cat. We feed him wellness wet food at night and a mix of wellness/newman's own dry in the morning. (He was fed Friskies wet at his old home and Iams dry at the shelter, where he stayed for 4 days). I also brush him with the red and white brush that is a knockoff of the furminator- I compared the brushes in the store on the store owner's advice and the "blades" are the same- only the handle is different.

When we first got him, he wasn't very keen on being brushed and only in the last week or so has he let me brush him for longer than 30 seconds. Whenever I brush him, I get SO MUCH of the underfur out. I thought that once he got used to me brushing him, there would be a time after which I was "done," aka there wasn't much more fur coming out at the end of the session. This past week I've had about 3-4 brushing sessions with him that were 15-20 minutes long, and the entire time the same amount of hair keeps coming out- the comb blade fills up within 1-3 strokes. After 15-20 minutes, when he starts getting scratchy and annoyed, I have a tennis sized ball of fur. From his tail, it comes out in clumps. There are no bald spots or anything else weird.

So what is going on here? Is this amount of shedding normal? Is he losing his winter coat (in January??)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is likely a combo of the lower end food and stress of new enviornment

google furminator and cat comb

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be just the stress of being in a shelter and now in a new home. Cats do lose tons of hair under stress. It can take months for a cat to settle in and feel like they are safe and finally in a permanent home. As long as he doesn't have any bald spots I wouldn't worry about it. Keep grooming sessions short but frequent until your new kitty feels safe and secure. I think you'll be fine and so will he!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dashalovesyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is likely a combo of the lower end food and stress of new enviornment

google furminator and cat comb
Maybe we are misunderstanding each other, but I mentioned in my post that I feed him Wellness food- which is one of the most "high end" foods there is. I also did mention that I am using a comb identical to the furminator, except with a different handle.

dashalovesyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

It can take months for a cat to settle in and feel like they are safe and finally in a permanent home.
Thanks! Since he seems perfectly well adjusted otherwise, I didn't really think about the stress of moving as a factor - hopefully that is it and the shedding will settle down soon.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dashalovesyou

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other, but I mentioned in my post that I feed him Wellness food- which is one of the most "high end" foods there is. I also did mention that I am using a comb identical to the furminator, except with a different handle.
sorry missed that .. on occassion I cant read...

You may be experiencing a coat redo from the food ... see wellness is MORE digestable and higher in fatty acids.. the coat changeover can take up to 3 months .... with about 6-8 weeks being NOTABLE shedding as the old coat comes out...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dashalovesyou

Thanks! Since he seems perfectly well adjusted otherwise, I didn't really think about the stress of moving as a factor - hopefully that is it and the shedding will settle down soon.
I'll also throw my vote in with the stress people. Click on the left picture above. This cat has one heck of a lot of hair. This cat never sheds one iota. I keep him combed and I am not gentle but he comes running every morning when I comb him. Most people I tell with your problem they are not combing enough but in your case I do think it is the stress since you seem to be combing your cat very well.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I'll also throw my vote in with the stress people. Click on the left picture above. This cat has one heck of a lot of hair. This cat never sheds one iota. I keep him combed and I am not gentle but he comes running every morning when I comb him. Most people I tell with your problem they are not combing enough but in your case I do think it is the stress since you seem to be combing your cat very well.
I love that picture of Persi!
And your new exotic is SOOOO cute! Have you posted new pictures of her lately?

dashalovesyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'll just try to wait it out... Hopefully the garbage men don't think that I'm dumping entire cats in the trash

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet always says - if the cat's not going bald, he's just shedding (or moulting) due to 3 reasons:

1. Stress
2. Change in food
3. Tis the season to shed!