ELECTRIC Cat Fence?!!!?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking for the "purfect" fence and the "kittywalk" to show my SO and ask what he thought. (He likes the kittywalk set up for $260 and we might get it
) Anyway....As I was searching the net I found a lot of websites for the "underground" cat fence and it's like the dog ones, it shocks them!

First of all I didn't even know they made things like this for cats and I'm not entirely sure about how safe it is!

Has anyone heard of these being used and is it really safe? I'm sure they aren't exactly safe and I do NOT plan on buying one, I just wanted to hear what others thought about it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well since MOST fences for dogs say for over 8 lbs and most concensus is NOT to use them for any thing under about 15lbs.. so I would not use a "cat" one

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I don't think its right to do to a cat. Don't think its right for a dog either
But I really don't think it would stop a cat who is determined to catch that bird across the street. Sure it would shock them, but once they left the yard, then no more shocks.

I think dogs are a little more territorial then cats in some ways. What works for a dog, doesn't mean it will work for a cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking too!

Usually dog are really good at staying in the yard in the first place. I think a cat could care less if they were in your yard or across the street. Plus they would know they only get shocked once if they run!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Useless fence anyways. It may stop (or likely won't) your pet from leaving the yard, but what is to stop other animals from coming in it?
A fence should protect both ways, otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.
Something to think about for any fencing you consider - will it keep out other possibly aggressive animals?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have used them to keep the dogs out of the flowerbeds. You set the strength of the shock and we kept it as low as it would go. The dogs were always able to tell (by hearing?) when it was on and knew when it was safe to go in the flowerbeds.
My dogs are very furry, so they get more of a vibration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Useless fence anyways. It may stop (or likely won't) your pet from leaving the yard, but what is to stop other animals from coming in it?
A fence should protect both ways, otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.
Something to think about for any fencing you consider - will it keep out other possibly aggressive animals?
That's what I wondered too!!!! I would never do anything like that with my little dog and I can't stand the idea of putting him out on a cable if I'm not out there with him because he has no where to go if the big (not trustworthy) neighbor dogs come over.