Chicken fried chicken...got a recipe?

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is my "day off" from my eating healthy, and we want chicken fried chicken. After eating yogurt and salads and the like all week, my mouth is watering just thinking about this. I looked up some other recipes but would rather get a tried and true recipe from one of you!
This has become a habit of mine to ask you guys for recipes. And I have had good luck with yours so I will keep asking! lol
I would also like to make the white gravy with it. Any ideas? thanks!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use boneless, skinless breasts (skin on is better if you really, really want that fried chicken taste)

I soak a few seconds in milk, dredge in bisquick, roll it in egg lightly beaten, and dredge a second time.
I've found bisquick to be far superior to flour for meat dredging, much more crispy.
Season your bisquick with whatever you prefer (I use sea salt and fresh ground pepper).

The key though, is to make sure your oil is good and hot before you place the chicken in it, this ensures that the breading stays on the meat.
Can't help you on gravy, I use McCormick's country gravy mix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dumb question....I have Hungray Jack buttermilk pancake mix....is that the same? Or is there another mix just for making breading? Also, what would Paprika do to the batter? I read to use that too. I don't really think it has a flavor?

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I decided it was a dumb question and went and bought the Bisquick. While I was there I saw the garlic and cheese biscuit mix and decided to make my recipe for Red Lobster's biscuits with it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yum! That all sounds soo good, one of my favorite meals!
Those biscuits are so wonderful, I LOVE them but always forget to buy the mix. Maybe because I will eat them all if I make them

Let us know how it turns out!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for white gravy, after the chicken is finished frying, you put a couple of tablespoons of flour in the pan and brown, then add milk (I don't really measure) for the amount of gravy you want with salt and pepper. Using a wisk or a fork, stir constantly as the milk comes to a simmer until it thickens to the consistancy you want.

As for the chicken, I use boneless chicken breasts. I beat one egg and put the breasts in it to coat it, then dredge in a mixture of flour, pepper, garlic salt and seasoned salt. Fry covered on medium/high heat.

My hubby loves this!!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I did the Bisquick as Arlyn suggested and it turned out wonderful!! I did the gravy just as Catkiki suggested because I found that recipe online earlier, and it was very bland. I added salt and pepper but it just tasted like flour. The consistancy was perfect but I was disappointed...The biscuits were "off". I'm gonna get the mix next time, lol....But the chicken was the best part, juicy and crispy. So good!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

Also, what would Paprika do to the batter? I read to use that too. I don't really think it has a flavor?
Paprika will give the breading/batter on chicken a nice, reddish brown color after it is fried.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

Well I did the Bisquick as Arlyn suggested and it turned out wonderful!! I did the gravy just as Catkiki suggested because I found that recipe online earlier, and it was very bland. I added salt and pepper but it just tasted like flour. The consistancy was perfect but I was disappointed...The biscuits were "off". I'm gonna get the mix next time, lol....But the chicken was the best part, juicy and crispy. So good!
I forgot to tell you to add a teaspoon or 2 of granualated chicken boullion. It gives it a good chicken flavor... sorry

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a more "carb-friendly" approach to it (although I don't how much more carb friendly compared to the milk & bisquick.

For about 4-6 chicken breasts (we sometimes use pork), take 2 egg whites and a tablespoon of milk. Mix together in one bowl.

In a second bowl mix a bunch of bread crumbs & seasoned salt together. I think its 1 cup bread crumbs, 2 tsp of seasoned salt (I tend to eyeball this now).

Take one breast roll it in the bread crumbs, dunk it into the egg/milk mix and then back into the bread crumbs.

After you finish all pieces, bake at 400* for 10 minutes, flip them over and bake an additional 8-10 minutes.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I forgot to tell you to add a teaspoon or 2 of granualated chicken boullion. It gives it a good chicken flavor... sorry
That's ok, I will try this next time. Thank you!