Time for a new vet?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking since I got home yesterday from the vet that I really don't like the way the Dr reacted to Chestnut biting me. He was suddenly terrifed of him and didn't want to touch him. I've heard from other people that he is often skiddish around the animals... you think its time to find someone new? (Chestnut obviously doesn't like him!)

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think if for any reason you are uncomfortable or don't have the fullest confidence in your vet, you should seek another one. We put such precious lives in their care, you really need to have the utmost confidence in them. My vet clinic houses 5 vets, of which only three I let treat my animals.

Good Luck :-)

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in that predicament myself. Next time I visit the vet's office I go to, I'm requesting a different doctor, and if they can't provide, I'm going to a new vet office. It's a terrible feeling when they lose patience with our babies, and I don't want to go through that again, because knowing Seamus, he will not be any better next time. As capable at diagnostics as they may be, if the personalities don't mesh, I wouldn't return to that person...

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think with your experience...(he didn't want to touch her?!)... and the others you've heard of him being skiddish around, it's time to find someone you and Chestnut will be more comfortable with. If Chestnut was picking up on his vibes, that may be why you got bit to start with? Did this doc realize that animals have teeth and will bite when he decided upon a profession???

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have changed vets many times because the cat did not like the vet. One vet was really ruff when handling one of our kitties and from that time on, just the mention of the word VET spooked this kitty. I also do not like vets that restrict the owners from being beside their animals when being treated. I just wonder what they have to hide.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

I've been thinking since I got home yesterday from the vet that I really don't like the way the Dr reacted to Chestnut biting me. He was suddenly terrifed of him and didn't want to touch him. I've heard from other people that he is often skiddish around the animals... you think its time to find someone new? (Chestnut obviously doesn't like him!)
I would say yes. Persi is the most layed back cat you've ever seen but he bit the vet and we have never went back. I did not like the way the vet treated Persi and was not surprised that Persi bit him.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, change vets - find one you and your kitty are both comfortable with.

We changed vets and after one visit to the new vet, I changed again. He seemed afraid of Bijou and didn't check his ears or his teeth. In fact I had to ask him to check Bijou's ears. Now to be fair, Bijou was issuing a low growl because he was nervous, but Bijou has never bitten or scratched anyone and I told the vet that.