Organipets

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered some new dry food online and i thought it sounded good, but i don't know much about what i should and shouldn't feed.
Organipets:
Organic, hypoallergenic, no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, no wheat, no soya, no beef.
Protein 30%, Oil 17%, Fibre 2%, Ash 6%, copper 15mg/kg.
Vitamin A 15,000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1,250 IU/kg, Vitamin E 70 mg/kg.
Min 22% chicken, min 19% rice, chicken meal, prairie meal, oats, barley, peas, chicken oil, sunflower oil, skimmed mik, salmon oil, whole linseed, seaweed meal, vegetable pomace.
Can anyone please tell me if it sounds like a good food? It costs about $8.00 for 750g.
http://www.organipets.co.uk/index.php

Thankyou for any information!
I'll be happy if its better than whiskas as its not much more expensive and my cats love it, even Archie who is really finicky, and I'm desperate to switch them to a better food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can someone tell me what prairie meal is >>???

with oats, barley , peas and milk I Would NOT call it HYPOallergenic... as peas and dairy are at the top ( in the states) of cat allergies.. Barleys protein ( ie gluten) is EXACTLY like wheats which is also a common allergen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Can someone tell me what prairie meal is >>???

with oats, barley , peas and milk I Would NOT call it HYPOallergenic... as peas and dairy are at the top ( in the states) of cat allergies.. Barleys protein ( ie gluten) is EXACTLY like wheats which is also a common allergen
Hmm, I don't think my cats have wheat allergies, so while I'm not impressed if they are claiming its hypoallergenic and its not, its not really a problem for me.
Maybe they figure since the milk is skimmed it won't cause allergies? Is organic food less likely to cause allergies?

I'm thinking of emailing them to ask.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

Hmm, I don't think my cats have wheat allergies, so while I'm not impressed if they are claiming its hypoallergenic and its not, its not really a problem for me.
Maybe they figure since the milk is skimmed it won't cause allergies? Is organic food less likely to cause allergies?

I'm thinking of emailing them to ask.
I would love to hear the reply...

Skim milk does have LESS lactose which is what many cats have issues with..

HYPOallergenic = less ... but many companies advertise it as NONE

organic will cause less issues if the issues is not the food itself but the chemical s in which used before, during or after the growing period

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, they never got back to me, so I've switched to Joe & Jill's dry cat food, which has the advantage of being available in my local supermarket, and is available in more conveniently sized packs:
http://www.petskitchen.co.uk/Joe-and-Jills/index.asp

I found a strange piece of kibble in the new cat food pouch though, red and about the size of a penny and emailed them about it last night. I had a wonderful reply early this morning, apologising profusely and offering a replacement bag of food! I only wanted them to know they seemed to be mixing up their foods a bit and it was only the one piece, quite hard to miss so I couldn't have accidentally fed it to my cats.
But it indicates MUCH better customer service. Its funny how a company can handle a problem so well you can end up liking them more.