Can we talk about teeth?

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two are going in for teeth cleaning/possible exractions soon (Milo first, I'm waiting on Kiwi as I don't feel she is a great candidate for anaesthetic at this time)

So. After that, how do you suggest I keep their (remaining) teeth clean? They've been on dry food pretty well their entire lives (I'm assuming this is true for Kiwi, but can't be sure. She has been on dry for the past three years, at least.) So obviously dry food does not keep their teeth clean, like I was led to believe.

Now, Kiwi is on Nature's variety pre-packed raw, and Milo is on wellness grain-free canned (I'm hoping to switch him to the nature's variety as well, the canned is just a step towards that, as he's a total kibble addict!)

My plan was to eventually try to switch them to "real" raw, and hope that the bones and stuff would clean their teeth, but I'm wondering if you guys have any tricks for keeping them clean in the long term? I would obviously like to avoid having to put them under again, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess, IMO, regular dental cleanings are necessary for dental health. Also, if they'll let you, brush their teeth regularly.

Other than that, yes, some raw/bones *might* help clean their teeth some. I'm not convinced any food does much.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually bought a dental rongeur that I use to scale my cats' teeth. They even let me do it, without too much fuss. I also use C.E.T. veterinary toothpaste, on my finger to rub on their teeth a couple of times a week, which really cuts down on the plaque buildup. They LOVE the taste of the toothpaste (poultry) and will lick every last drop off my fingers. Their teeth look great!

That being said.... you will definitely need a cooperative cat, lol!

http://www.cetdental.com/default.asp

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the licking of tootpaste ... brushing is not the important thing the toothpaste enzymes are ...

CET chews help too if they use them

Kandie had regular tooth cleanings ... I do question why I put her under for that after her CRF diagnosis but live and learn

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have this blue tasteless liquid called breathfriedly
there is no need to brush and you should give it a try

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way! No matter what giving a kitty I think that brushing is key! It helps their bad breath, prevents plaque build up and is good for their gums! I have meat flavored tooth paste that they really like! I also use a toothbrush special for kitties, but it is one of those that wiggles by itself and some dont like it! They each have their own toothbrushes because sharing can pass on dental problems! The bacteria that causes problems can be passed around! Ive never done anything special besides that, and my vet says their teeth look GREAT! I normally scruff mine when I do it because their mouths open by themselves when you do it! Good luck to you!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try chicken wings or necks. There are also things like Plaque Off and Logic Gel in the UK, I don't know if they are available where you are?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

You could try chicken wings or necks. There are also things like Plaque Off and Logic Gel in the UK, I don't know if they are available where you are?
PLEASE DON"T GIVE A CAT CHICKEN BONES!!!! They can splinter and cause choking, or they can splinter and perforate the esophagus, stomach or intestines.....all of which can be fatal!!!! (I know this usually applies to cooked chicken bones, which are more brittle, but why take a chance!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

PLEASE DON"T GIVE A CAT CHICKEN BONES!!!! They can splinter and cause choking, or they can splinter and perforate the esophagus, stomach or intestines.....all of which can be fatal!!!! (I know this usually applies to cooked chicken bones, which are more brittle, but why take a chance!)
Raw necks are just fine .. raw bone can actually be digested by the cat and is not hard or brittle .. I of course dont have animals that will eat them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions!

I brush/scale my dogs' teeth regularly, I just haven't done that cats as I tried it once and they did not like that AT ALL.

Any suggestions for desensitizing them to the process as adults?

I will definitely be trying chicken/turkey necks and wings, assuming I can eventually get them onto "real" raw, which I will for sure be giving a good go at.

I saw a thing on TV Where they put the cat in a bag and only their head was sticking out and it made it a lot easier to clean their teeth as they couldn't scratch/slip away, anyone seen anything like that?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought one of THESE to use when I clip Lola's claws. First off, she was terrified of the rustling noise that the nylon made. It was impossible to zip her into the darn thing. It absolutely didn't work. If you want to try it, let me know, I'll send you mine...that is, if I can find it (it's lost somewhere in the basement, lol!)