another new pug painting..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better, this angle seems easier for you and you made the eyes more natural looking on this one.

Looking at all your work so far, I have a few good suggestions for you though.

It looks like you could use some better brushes. I know the type that comes with kits - sometimes they're ok, but you need more of a selection to work with. Go to a nice art and craft supply store (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or whatever you have there) and take a look at the higher quality brushes. Don't be turned off by the $5-20 cost per brush, you'll get what you pay for. Synthetic is ok for acrylics since it's a thicker paint. Get some smaller detail brushes.
Avoid the cheaper prepackaged ones.

Canvas is expensive, so that might keep you from practicing enough for you to keep improving your skills. Try looking for acrylic paper. It's comes in pads but the cost usually averages out to $1-3 per sheet ($10-20 for a medium sized pad of 10 sheets). There are some people who do wonderful work on paper, myself - I prefer it to canvas.

For some of your other paintings-
Try not to use black for painting some stuff if you can avoid it. If you want it to have some dimension to it you'll need to add highlights and shadows -you can't shade something that's already black. Other dark colors, like a dark brown or grey, will give you more room to work.
But this will get easier for you with practice.

Go to your local library and look for art books. You would benefit from learning basic concepts, color, lines,balance, focal point, etc. Get books on painting - preferably with acrylics, and a few on drawing - focus on realism (animals and humans) if that's what you want to improve.
You could use a little sketch pad too, just to sketch down your ideas that may come to you when you're not at home.

Keep working on your skills, practice will make you better and your feel for the paint and brush will improve as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
strange_wings, thank you for the tips. I just started (I have never painted anything other than what I have shared here). I was thinking of taking some art classes at Michaels. I will certianly look into acrylic paper, that would be great for practicing!

And for whoever asked, I only paint from pictures, I never paint just from something in my head. I just like to make it more whimsical than real.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

I was thinking of taking some art classes at Michaels.
Maybe -unless there are some free options that you might benefit from, or are the classesfree?
I'm not sure if there are any still on tv, maybe the DIY channel or similar, what about instruction shows? You might even be able to find some basic demonstrations on youtube.

Another tip - cheap pallet/ mixing surface. Any plastic container from the plastic tv dinner trays, little condiment containers you get with fast food, to styrofoam egg cartons. A ziplock baggie can give you a few hours break from painting without the paint drying up -provided that its not a tiny amount.

What brands of acrylics are you using?

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like you're really getting the hang of this! I think this one is the best pug pic yet! Keep up the good work!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What brands of acrylics are you using?
reeves, I bought a pack of 12 but they are really small tubes.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well done, keep up the good work! You've really captured the colours well, and the expression is wonderful.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

reeves, I bought a pack of 12 but they are really small tubes.
I've never seen that brand before, so I looked them up on an art supply site. The 12 tube set is around $8 list price - $5 their price.... so I'm guessing it's a cheaper, student grade quality.
I'm rather fond of Liquitex, Winsor & Newton, and Grumbacher. All can usually be found on sale too.

Look at the artist quality - http://www.dickblick.com/categories/...rtistsacrylics
When you go down to student grade the paint becomes a little thinner - however Grumbacher's Academy Acrylics are ok.

Also that's a great site for looking up any sort of supplies and pricing - they always have sales. Shipping is reasonable and quick.

-Those who just love art and craft supplies... don't look!
I always see a dozen things I want.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like it! It's my favorite pug one so far!

When I was in college I had to take a Color & Composition class, and it was taught by one of the adjunct instructors. She also taught water colors at our local parks & recreation center. She was a great teacher. If something like that is available in your area, I'd look into it! It was fun to paint with other people around, though sometimes I'd go off into la la land while painting.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

It think it's fabulous! You definitely have a talent there!

Hey, I could email you pics of my pug if you want.
buttercup does look like an excellent model