He Bit Me!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet today with Chesntut and Gizmo and well... lets just say Chesnut was NOT happy with me!! I was holding him so the vet could look at his ears and he BIT me, hard, broke skin and all
. I cleaned it out with H202 and anti-bacterial soap within 30 seconds of the bite, but he did draw blood.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't, but my SIL who's cat is 19 yrs old now, bit her while she helped hold her for a rabies shot last year. She broke skin too. When they got home, the cat ran off and sulked for a while, but a few hours later, my SIL said she came around to make up. I guess they just get stressed and freaked out, your hand is closest, they react....I don't think they would bite "their person" like that under normal circumstances...
Sorry about your bite
, hope it's feeling better

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have Shark bite my thumb during the night once, all because I forgot to wake her up before I went to bed...she disturbed me so that she could go out, and what a way to do it

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trina has never bitten me, but Toby has.
He was jumping off my bedroom windowsill, and his leg snagged the blinds' cord. Luckilly I was in the room and saw it happen(I hate to think what might have occurred had I not been there!), but because he was so scared when I tried to help him, he snapped at me, held on tight, and broke skin. I didn't let go, though, and once he realized I was lifting him, he let go. I snipped those stupid loops that night on all of our blinds!

I think they mostly do that when they're absolutely terrified, especially when a bit of pain is involved. Defense mechanism. Vet trips can be traumatic!=( Sorry that happened to you!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chloe bites all the time, but she is a teething kitten.

It sounds like Chestnut was just really scared and was using it as a defense mechanism. Poor baby! I know it sucks for you, but Chestnut was just being a cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG Yes! Gary was holding Tuxie at the vet - and warning the new vet tech that Tuxie does NOT like shots - and she was like "Oh, don't worry." And Gary said, "But that's what I'm...." SCREAM. Tuxie FREAKED, twisted around, bit the hand he got a hold of (Gary's) - AND the vet tech ended up stabbing Gary in the hand with the needle she was about to inject Tuxedo with!
Gary was bleeding from the bite and the needle!

What a nightmare!

Poor babies - forced to bite the hands they love.

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

I cleaned it out with H202 and anti-bacterial soap within 30 seconds of the bite, but he did draw blood.
Please do not use peroxide on a puncture wound, you risk pushing debris and bacteria back into the wound.

Soak your wound in betadine or iodine (with saline or distilled water to dilute some), and if the wound is deep enough see your doctor ASAP.

Tomas hasn't bit me... but he nipped a vet tech once who underestimated him. She must have thought the cute kitten didn't need to be scuffed.
He growls at all strangers, especially those who smell like dog -as the vet tech did.

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My very meek and mild Tami (went to the Bridge long ago) bit my nose over a strange cat that was brought into home. It was very deep and bled lots. I was so surprised that she did this to me while I was holding her.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of summers ago, my parent's cat, Samson, bit me when I was attempting to do sub-Q fluids on him. I had three deep puncture wounds on my lower arm, near my elbow. I immediately washed the bite wounds with hot, soapy water, and went to the Urgent Care facility. I started oral antibiotics (Augmentin) within an hour and a half of getting bitten. The next morning, my forearm was swollen nearly twice it's normal size, and green purulent drainage was coming from the puncture wounds. I went to the E.R., because I know cat bites are not to be just brushed off. I ended up in the hospital, on IV antibiotics (Rocephin) for three days. I missed almost 2 weeks of work (I can't scrub in surgery with open wounds), and my out of pocket hospital and Urgent Care bills were close to $1400 (I honestly don't remember what insurance paid, but it was a lot!)

All I can say is....be extra careful with cat bites!!! If they become reddened or start to drain, get to the E.R. fast.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

I went to the vet today with Chesntut and Gizmo and well... lets just say Chesnut was NOT happy with me!! I was holding him so the vet could look at his ears and he BIT me, hard, broke skin and all
. I cleaned it out with H202 and anti-bacterial soap within 30 seconds of the bite, but he did draw blood.

Anyone else have this happen to them?
I've had my share of kitty bites, let me tell you. They've all been my fault though. I stick my hand in the middle of the cats when they are fighting so they don't get hurt, I do. I've had blood drawn more then once by the boys. But with a little TLC the bites get better. The last one got me down to the nerve. (YEOUCHIE!) Not a pretty one let me tell you. But by now I should know better then to stick my hand in the middle of the cats if they quarrel.
Doesn't happen often, just once in a blue moon, and I (thankfully) am the only one with bites and bloody. (because I'm not the brightest star in the solar system!
)

Hope your ouchies heal fast with no infections. Keep them clean and put antibiotics on them!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive been bit before while giving cats shots at the humane society! They brought in a feral, and no one would get near him so they called me! I got him scruffed and no sooner than gave the shot (antibiotic, nothing bad!) and he reached his paws out, curled up his back and bit me as he was scratching me! It was bad, but it was livable! The cat wasn't so feral after a week or two and went to a wonderful home!

On the other hand, my DH got bit by his sisters cat! She was on vaca and he waas taking care of Ameigo (named by a 1 y/o) he wasn't thinking and opened the window. The cat got out and he spent days looking for him! When he found him he tried to grab him, the cat bit his thumb and held on! Jake was trying to fling the cat off of him by shaking his hand wildly, and the cat held on! He finally scruffed the cat and got him to let go, the cat ran away and no one has seen him since! My DH on the other hand had rabies shots put directly into the thumb until his thumb was so swollen it was unbelievable! He had ER visits, acute care visits and regular visits! Thank got their home insurance covered part of it!

As for the cleaning of it, Pouring ANYTHING on it can push the debri into it! Its better to have cleaned it like that than not at all! I have never heard of putting that on there being a bad thing, and Im an EMT!

Good luck to you!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

As for the cleaning of it, Pouring ANYTHING on it can push the debri into it! Its better to have cleaned it like that than not at all! I have never heard of putting that on there being a bad thing, and Im an EMT!
Sort of figured as much. Soaking doesn't involve actually pouring anything over the wound, which is why I suggested it and is how they will treat you for the wound.

I was put on Augmentin, too, and warned that my hand would still likely get infected. Given instructions to soak it, etc. It swelled, and honestly that hurt worse then the bite did.
No puss or bad infection, luckily - I'm a bleeder so it helped clean out the wounds somewhat.

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

A couple of summers ago, my parent's cat, Samson, bit me when I was attempting to do sub-Q fluids on him.
I adore and love my Tomas dearly... but he would have to be e-collared and hogtied, or sedated before I would ever stick anything in him. Though sometimes it's the gentle ones you must watch out for.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I adore and love my Tomas dearly... but he would have to be e-collared and hogtied, or sedated before I would ever stick anything in him. Though sometimes it's the gentle ones you must watch out for.
Oh, Sam wasn't gentle....he was EVIL incarnate!!! I knew that going into it, I was careless for a second, and he had all the opportunity that he needed!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sebastian is the most loving, gentle and sweet cat. He loves people! Will befriend anyone. However, at the vet I use now he turns into a raving kitty blender
. No one at this vet believes he is a gentle soul. They have him listed as dangerous. There is something about this place he just feels so threatened by. Or perhaps it is his age.

When I take him in, I expect to come away with at least one scratch and perhaps a bite. The vet people are too afraid to touch him, so I have to hold him. Poor guy. Vibes for quick healing for you