For all that is holy and sane!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My co-worker sounds like he's going to die. He's wheezy, coughing up green goo, and is as white as a sheet.

Why the heck would he come to work?

I'm bleaching down his desk when he goes home.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My co-worker did the same thing. He looked and sounded horrible for 2 weeks. He went to the doctor last Monday, and it ended up that he had bronchitis. So he took Tuesday off. And now I'm sick, and have been for the past week. Great.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I'll admit that I was at work all week that I was sick, but so was everyone else who was sick

I refuse to go to work if any of the OTC meds don't work. Heck a cold is one thing, but if you're coughing up green goo and people tell you you are pale...most likely you are running a temperature and NEED TO GO HOME!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Yikes! I'll admit that I was at work all week that I was sick, but so was everyone else who was sick

I refuse to go to work if any of the OTC meds don't work. Heck a cold is one thing, but if you're coughing up green goo and people tell you you are pale...most likely you are running a temperature and NEED TO GO HOME!
No kidding. I think he fell asleep twice, and we've only been here for an hour and a half.

I'm half tempted to call his girlfriend so she can come pick him up.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
blame managment that says you have to come to work, ?
i know where i am, you are expected to show up, on your death bed.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree sick people shouldn't be in the workplace, but what is your companies policy for paid time off if someone should get sick? Do you have sick days that are paid? If not, he's probably there to feed his family and pay the bills. I'm sure the LAST place he wants to be is there, but sometimes it has to be done, even at the risk of other employees. That would be something to take up with management.

If you DO have paid sick days and he's still there, then he is just stupid!

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ick. That sounds awful. It's no fun to be at work and be that ill. Over a year ago I had the flu and was breaking out in sweats, nearly passing out, and they would not let me leave (department store). Next day I called in sick no matter how busy it was.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy78

Ick. That sounds awful. It's no fun to be at work and be that ill. Over a year ago I had the flu and was breaking out in sweats, nearly passing out, and they would not let me leave (department store). Next day I called in sick no matter how busy it was.
Check your laws and if that happens ever again, don't show up. That happened to me once, had a summer job and was legitimately sick and needed to go to the doctor that day. The store manager BEGGED me to come in because too many people were calling in sick (and really weren't). So with a 100* fever, green goo, and coughing and sneezing I went in.

ALL the customers were wondering why I was there. I told them to go talk to management about that. When I saw my doctor she told me they weren't suppose to do that and its illegal to make someone come in when they call in sick.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John's brother has had the same thing all week and has been walking around the house coughing on everything. John's mom is sick with it now and I've had a little bit for the past three days. John started with the sore throat last night. I've been spraying lysol everywhere but I guess I didn't get everything good enough.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

John's brother has had the same thing all week and has been walking around the house coughing on everything. John's mom is sick with it now and I've had a little bit for the past three days. John started with the sore throat last night. I've been spraying lysol everywhere but I guess I didn't get everything good enough.
That illness is everywhere. From what you just described, that's how mine started and its gone around this area (B now has it) and our friends in MI have it now. Sore throat for 2 days then you begin to get stuffier and stuffier. I never got a true fever though.

I'm still coughing and blowing my nose 3 weeks later, but no longer am sick.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even places with paid sick time, they might have an absentee policy that is unrealistic. I think at our hospital, you can only have two occurrances per year (date to date, not calander), or you'll get disciplinary action. I called in sick in November (pneumonia and acute asthma.) I have a nasty head cold right now, but I don't dare call in sick, basically because I don't know what the next 10 months have in store for me.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember talking to HR at a place where I had limited sick days and in cases like that as long as you get a doctor's note they'll pay for it. Although that was that particular company's...they were keeping the limited sick days because too many people abused the privilege (Oh I ran out of vacation days, so I'll just call in sick).

In your case though, it really depends on the company...I've heard of some places that will tap into your vacation days if you use your 2 sick days a year.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lose pay if I don't go to work, so the only time I go off sick is when I physically can't stand up. If they don't want my germs in the office they can ***** well give me sick pay, permanent staff get it. Temping sucks

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Even places with paid sick time, they might have an absentee policy that is unrealistic. I think at our hospital, you can only have two occurrances per year (date to date, not calander), or you'll get disciplinary action. I called in sick in November (pneumonia and acute asthma.) I have a nasty head cold right now, but I don't dare call in sick, basically because I don't know what the next 10 months have in store for me.
Wait... you work in a hospital and they want you there when you're very ill? No wonder people end up so sick after they've been at the hospital. I wonder if patient and family complaints could get that changed somehow?

Though, if the person is coughing up green phlegm/mucus it's a bit less likely you'll catch anything. Green usually means there's an infection, and hopefully the person will finally go to the doctor at that stage.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Wait... you work in a hospital and they want you there when you're very ill? No wonder people end up so sick after they've been at the hospital. I wonder if patient and family complaints could get that changed somehow?

Though, if the person is coughing up green phlegm/mucus it's a bit less likely you'll catch anything. Green usually means there's an infection, and hopefully the person will finally go to the doctor at that stage.
Yup, it's the same at my hospital. I have plenty of PDO (paid days off), but I can't use it because I have already gotten in trouble for attendance. You aren't supposed to caome to work sick, but if you don't coe in you get in trouble. Incredibly stupid!!

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I worked at mcdonalds one time a few years ago. We had a week of everyone getting sick so the management would force you to come to work or you got fired. Me and a friend was working counter and she was so sick she couldnt even stand up straight. She finally passed out in the floor, the manager stepped over her and closed her register and left her laying. I called her brother to come take her to the hospital and they fired her the next day for leaving work without permision. I was sick the next morning and tried to call in, told them i was vomiting and could not make it, the manager offered to send someone to pick me up and i refused, she said that either i show up or i was going to be fired, so i quit right then and there.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh yes, that's how it is where I work. Everyone comes to work sick, so they won't violate the absentee policy. The bosses say they don't want you to come to work sick, but the policy penalizes you if you don't. And of course, we are always so short staffed, we wouldn't be able to get any surgery done if everyone who was sick called in!!! At least in the O.R. we wear masks, so the patients don't get exposed to our germs (just our coworkers!)