HELP - what happened to Bubba's head?

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed a small bald/bloody patch on bubba's head tonight, and when I went over to look at it, I realized it was swollen quite high around quite a bit around it. When you press on it, it's fairly soft - like, if you were pressing on foam. There is a -lot- of swelling (or infection?). He doesn't yelp in pain if I prod on it, but he doesn't seem to happy I'm doing so.

I'm taking him in as soon as the vet opens in the morning. I'm just trying to figure out what happened to him - from the level of swelling, I would think something large landed on his head. However, with the wound there, I guess it could have been a bite/scratch that got infected?

Pictures are below..He seems kinda lethargic, and when I picked him up, I noticed his fur was moist, like it's been sweating. I'm wondering if I should try to find an overnight place...

I have no idea what this is, and it's making me nervous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I just called the Michigan State University clinic, and once I described what it was, they want to see us immediately. I'm waiting for my mom to come pick us up (I took an ambien before all this started, so I can't drive), and we're immediately heading in.

Send me vibes! ((worried))

usameisje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks just like when my childhood kitty would sneak outside and get an abcess from fighting. (he was indoors kitty but would sneak out sometimes) Maybe your kitty accidentally scratched himself while grooming and it got infected.

But I would take kitty to the ER vet if it was me...infections can get nasty fast! If there are no ER vets available I would take him first thing in the AM.

Purrs for your fur baby

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say its an absess, just because of how open it is! I would definatly take him in though! Please let us know when you know!!

PS~ I know how the ambien thing goes!

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, due to the size of it/the lethargy/the fact it looks like he's sweating, we're taking him in tonight, just waiting for my mom to get here.

I'm hoping it's an infection, and he didn't pull something heavy and damagin on his head (he knocks stuff off the counters -all the time-). He never gets out of the house, but I do have other cats.. I don't know if he picked a fight with one?

wommers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like an abscess to me, and it never ceases to amaze me how FAST they can develop on a cat. If it swells enough, it will open on it's own. Sometimes they'll also scratch one open. Then there's always the small wound where the problem started to begin with, so I wouldn't say (from the pictures anyway) that it's too open to be an abscess.

But I definitely think it's a good idea--given what you've described of his symptoms--to take him in right away. If you have a thermometer you can take his temperature at home too. It sounds like he might be running a fever, and if so he should absolutely see a vet as soon as possible. I'm paranoid about fevers and any time my cats even look at me funny, I take temperatures. >.> Normal for a cat is between 100.5-102.5ish.

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we went to the emergency vet clinic at Michigan State University (at 3am
), and sure enough, it was a very large abscess. He was also running a fever of 105.6 (!), which is why he was sweating.

They put him under anesthesia, drained the abscess, gave him antibiotics and iv fluids, put a drain in, and stitched him up. He goes back tomorrow to get the drain out, and I need to keep the ecollar on him, keep him away from the other cats and give him antibiotics for two weeks. The assumption is it's a bite from the other cats, that he scratched/irritated/got infected.

He's obviously not happy, and in a bit of pain. I scratched around the area for him as much as I could without getting near the drain/stitches, but he is one poor worn out cat. I'm going to see if they can give him either pain medication tomorrow, or something topical I can put on him so he isn't so itchy the next few weeks.

This is my poor, unamused cat now...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
aw, poor guy! Way to be observant and catch that so quickly
lots of vibes for Bubba's head to get better ASAP!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy--abscesses are no fun, for the cat or the human. I remember dealing with warm compresses and saline flushes all the time for months since Spot had a stubborn one and his body wouldn't tolerate the antibiotics. Vibes for a quick and complete healing for Bubba!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bubba - but how blessed is he with such a good mommy to take good care of him (and bless your mom for driving up to the vet at 3:00 am!). Here's good wishes for a full recovery.

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I was wondering how I was going to spend my tax return... $500 worth of vet bills

However, the vet was -wonderful- when I asked about cost/if there was a way I could pay it in installments/etc. Originally, they gave me a quote of $800 - $1000.

When I picked Bubba up today, and looked at the final bill... $560. Granted, a lot of money, but they were very cautious to keep my costs down because I had mentioned how tight things were.

I (heart) understanding vets!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Im so happy they got it under control! The poor kitty! I would have never have guessed it was an absess, just because Ive seen a bunch, and never one that open!! I hate to say it, but he looks so cute with that e-collar on!!

Good for a quick recovery!

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one of my cats had an absess similar to that but the vet didn't stitch it up. sinbad was left with this gaping hole but i have to say that it did heal quickly and easily.

i guess they do things differently sometimes (i'm in the uk).

glad he is under treatment and here's to a speedy recovery.

x

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor bubba. Ask your vet about putting some coritsone cream around the area to stop the itching. I had to use it on Jake when he was healing. It really helps with the itching.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Great that he is doing better and that the vet helped work with you on the costs.
Originally Posted by tab

one of my cats had an absess similar to that but the vet didn't stitch it up. sinbad was left with this gaping hole but i have to say that it did heal quickly and easily.
Sometimes abscesses can't be stitched up because that would lock the infection in the wound. They need to be left open to heal.