What breed is he?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like some opinions on what breeds my foster dog, Max is.

He's tall, all legs. he weighs 71 lbs., but he's incredibly thin(that happens when ya don't feed them!
).

So far, from people who've met him I've gotten the following breeds tossed out:

Lab
Am staff
Shepherd
Cur
Boxer

My dad swears he's an elephant crossed with a Mac truck.

This is how thin he is:

Owners had no clue on breeds. Right now, he's labeled as a Lab/Shepherd X. At first, Lab/Terrier, but he's too lanky & bit for terrier. Yet, he's relatively well muscled.

wommers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know, call me crazy, but he looks like he has Rhodesian Ridgeback in him. Coloration and something about the body build and head. So my guess it Pit/Rhodie.

I know we're not supposed to link copyrighted pictures, so hopefully linking a site is okay in lieu of that, but take a look at some of these pictures, and see if you can see it too.

http://www.copperridgerhodesians.com/

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think he could be pit and boxer or pit and lab he is cute i would not worry about his weight he looks like hes in good shape

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No lab in him - but I see boxer and maybe a little pit. The legs almost look like a whippet/greyhound as they are on the slender side.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see Rhodesian Ridgeback in the face. Some friends of John have a Ridgeback and he's almost identical, aside from the ridge obviously.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has the bully face - that could be just about any bully breed though.
For his size, his feet are almost dainty looking in that picture?

If it weren't for the feet I would say cur - as in the black mouthed cur mixes used for hunting. Cur is a mix too though, usually of most of the breeds you already listed.
Staffs and pits are terriers, so that's where the potential terrier look you first considered could have came from.

Maybe wait until you've fattened him up a bit and ask again?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah he looks like a Ridgeback mix to me as well... My neighbor has a Ridgeback/Boxer mix who looks similar to that except that he actually has the 'ridge'.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm....I can see boxer. But the legs really throw me....
I can't see him being mixed with anything bigger than a boxer though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I mentioned whippet/greyhound - cause of the legs. I'd be very surprised if there is lab - nothing really fits any labby features IMO.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the ridgeback mix group as well. First thing I thought when I saw the face. Body type also fits.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I see Rhodesian Ridgeback in the face. Some friends of John have a Ridgeback and he's almost identical, aside from the ridge obviously.
Ooooo I didn't think of ridgeback!!!! Good thinking bnwalker!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think we'll label him as am staff or a pit x. Unless we a really certain a dog has those breeds in them, we do not label them as such. You know how people are with "vicious" breeds like that.
Don't want to cost him a home when he may not even have any pitty type breed in him. (We suspect he isn't at all, esp. after talking with a staffie breeder/shower/dog show judge today)

We've really thought about ridgeback, but the few in this general area are all fixed. It seems unlikely. Boxer/Shep or Boxer/lab is where we're at.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you guys try not to label them pits. I would go with Boxer/Lab. Even though I dont really see either! He definatly doesnt look like he has Shepherd from the pics. IMO.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any lab or pit in him.
As for the legs, he could very well be an American Bulldog/Redbone cross.