Moon Roof or not?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at a Mazda 3. I'm trying to decide if I should spend the extra money for the moon roof package? I think I'd like to, but I just don't know. My Uncle is going to be calling so so I have to make up my mind, but I'm just curious about what other people think.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I never owned a vehicle with one they company I used to work for well the company vehicles all had them. I liked the extra light coming through on a cloudy day and if you do alot of city driving you could have it open-its kind of noisy once you get to highway sppeds though!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oooooh, I love the Mazda 3s!!!! That's a car that's near the top of my list for when I get a new one in a few years. I say YES! Go for the moon roof! Those cars are pretty sporty looking and the moon roof would be perfect

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes to a moon roof. Its really nice, especially in the Summer, when you open it and like Gail said, with sun coming in.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might as well splurge on a moon roof, just will be one more exciting thing about your car!
Make sure to tell us what decided on the moon roof

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, moon roof and sunroof are the same. All of our cars have them and I love them, but we do live in CA.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought a moon roof opened completely and a sun roof didnt.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I thought a moon roof opened completely and a sun roof didnt.
that's what I thought the diff was too, a moonroof slides all the way back and a sunroof just "pops" open?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never get a car that had one, just my two cents.

I used to work at a body shop/collision center and would see many people come in with them because of leaks or other problems. They are okay if you don't plan on keeping the car forever, or are going to have a nice extended warranty.

Just be prepared that they break and are very expensive to fix. I remember people coming in all the time, even with newer cars that had no warranty on them that would cost well over $500 to get them fixed. One time a guy with a newer Monte Carlo came in with one and the wiring went bad and he had no extended warranty - just to replace it - over $2,000

They are nice, yes, but I don't think I'd want to put up with the hassle of them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The leaking is what I'm afraid of, my current car has a leak in the fire wall. Having moister in the car is not fun in the winter. I have to scrape the inside of my windows all the time.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

The leaking is what I'm afraid of, my current car has a leak in the fire wall. Having moister in the car is not fun in the winter. I have to scrape the inside of my windows all the time.
Exactly! John & I were looking at newer cars the other day and it seems like they all come with them now!
Everyone thinks I'm weird for not ever wanting one, but I just know something would happen if I had one in a car

If your buying it brand new, there should be some warranty that comes with it, but just thinking if your going to keep this car as long as you've had your other one, it just depends if thats a risk your willing to take?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted no moon roof...
To much of a hassle.

If you want to see the moon....
pull over, park and walk.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I had a moon roof on my old car and I never had a problem with it
would have gotten one on my current car if I could have afforded it, I miss it
I'm sure you can do some kind of search on the internet to see if there is a recurring problem with Mazda's moonroofs

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

just thinking if your going to keep this car as long as you've had your other one, it just depends if thats a risk your willing to take?
I am my father's daughter and believe in driving cars until the wheels fall off. I've been living with the leak in my fire wall for several years now so obivously it doesn't bother me too much. I just wouldn't want to have a brand new car with constant moister inside.

Good idea to check on the internet.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put What's a moon roof because for many years I drove cars with sun roofs. And then all of a sudden they became moon roofs. So I said the heck with it and started driving convertibles.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can afford it, i would say go for it!
Our new Ford Escape has one and i LOVE it!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I ... believe in driving cars until the wheels fall off.
Me too! If there's one more mile left in the old bucket-o'-bolts, I'm not through with it yet!
That's why I vote no. There are enough things that can go wrong with a car -- I don't need to add to the potential bill.

Now, if I were super-rich... sure! But for us common folk, it's just asking for trouble.

When you get your new car, we want pictures!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Me too! If there's one more mile left in the old bucket-o'-bolts, I'm not through with it yet!
That's why I vote no. There are enough things that can go wrong with a car -- I don't need to add to the potential bill.

Now, if I were super-rich... sure! But for us common folk, it's just asking for trouble.

When you get your new car, we want pictures!
Yep, there's nothing better than a car that's paid off
I'm excited about a new car, but I haven't had a payment in 5 years. My chevy is a '96 with 140,000 miles. I'd keep driving it, but there are several things wrong that just add up to too much $ for a car of that age.

I will definately have to take pictures. I've never owned a brand new car before.
Now if my uncle would just call so I can tell him what I want, then he'll be able to tell me when he can get it for me.