Cat's Anal Glands - Post Vet Appointment ???

senorakristin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet and sure enough, she had to get her anal glands expressed. He expressed quite a bit of dark, thick liquid. 24 hours later, I get home from work and butt is red and a little swollen. I called vet and he suggested I put a little hemmrrhoid cream on her anus.

She is eating and drinking, playing and pooping like normal. Ally has not been spotted scooting her butt on the carpet since the appointment.

When you take your cat to the vet to get their glands expressed, is this a similar scenario? Do they go back to normal looking soon? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m worried I need to take her back to the vet, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never experienced this before. Please advise.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

My boy cat Dexter's scent sacs plug.
In fact he had his expressed at his vet two days ago.
I have noticed that his anal area looks slightly puffy for about 24 hours after a difficult expression ... when the fluid is thick.
Then is goes down to normal.

I have never use a hemorrhoid cream.
I don't' know if licking that would be good for your cat.

I would say....
Because this is your first experience with this...
if you are concerned, insist that your vet take a look to be sure your kitty is OK. Never be afraid about being an over concerned kitty parent.
You must speak for your cat.

Using the search botton at the rt. top of this page...
so a search using the terms "scant sacs or scent glands".
There are several threads posted by members, including me, who have kitties with scent sac pluging problem.

Again... if your vet is not coopertave about re-checking your cat's anal area...you might want to check out getting a vet who respects your concerns.

Please let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

senorakristin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took Ally to the vet. The vet decided to take a closer look and give her some gas so she would be comfortable and still. Turns out one of her glands still had something to be expressed.

She just got home and is nauseous from the gas. She has vomited twice. I'm supposed to give her Prednisone pills for three days. I'll keep an eye on her, but I'm still worried sick.

rolling thunder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know too much about cat's anal glands, but my dog has to have it done quite often. If they are really full, sometimes the vet will give her a steroid shot afterwords so they don't get infected afterward. Now she is a lab so a good bit larger than a cat but I would think that if they were really full, they would also get irritated afterward just like a dogs.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats usually don't have anal gland problems. The type of secretion is much more liquid, and seldom causes problems unless there is an underlying problem, such as an allergy.

I have a cat with such an allergy, and a high fiber diet food (science diet w/d) has fixed the problem. My kitty is much more comfortable and loves the food.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A high fiber diet is an excellent suggestion because it makes a larger stool. The stool then pushes harder against the scent sacs when your kitty poos, expressing some fluid at that time.

Also, I have found that it's critical to keep our kitties with scent sac issues will hydrated. That tends to keep the sac fluid thinner. I do that by feeding plenty of wet food with added filtered water.

Of course all cases are different but those to things have been important to Dexter.

I understand your fear....
for Dexter and many kitties who have this feline orphan disease, close monitoring of their scent sacs is important usually for life. By doing that you can avoid infections and serious plugging.

As you work with your kitty, you will learn when it might be time for an expression.
My vet's tech does Dexter's sacs.She is better at it than the vet.

Some will say you can do it yourself but with cats,
that is not easy, so for me...
it's off to the vet we go.

Once this crisis is over, you will find that Ally, with good care, can live a long, comfortable life.

Please keep us updated.
We are thinking of you sweet Ally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

senorakristin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ally is feeling better.

Her anal area is less red and looks like it's no longer in need of emptying sacs.

She had a bowel movement late Friday night, but hasn't had one since (it's Sunday morning)

She is eating and drinking (a lot of water) and seems back to normal.

How often do your kitties poop? She had to get some gas last Friday and was groggy Friday night...I wonder if this has anything to do with constipation?

Thanks!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watch my cats poo & pee schedules closely because they are an excellent barometer of their digestive health.
Both Dexter and Sadie poo once a day.

I don't know for sure but I would think that any general anesthesia might affect a cats poo schedule.
I would watch Ally closely and if she hasn't gone by Monday, consult with your vet.

She sounds like she is doing quite well...
OK Ally...time for a poo.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SenoraKristin

Ally is feeling better.

Her anal area is less red and looks like it's no longer in need of emptying sacs.

She had a bowel movement late Friday night, but hasn't had one since (it's Sunday morning)

She is eating and drinking (a lot of water) and seems back to normal.

How often do your kitties poop? She had to get some gas last Friday and was groggy Friday night...I wonder if this has anything to do with constipation?

Thanks!
Anesthetic can make humans constipated so I imagine it is the same for animals. However, if she doesn't have a BM in the next couple days I'd call the vet and ask them about it.