Cloverfield

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is anyone else obsessing or with someone who is obsessing about this movie? OMG, Earl has been searching for everything to do with this movie since we saw the trailer when we saw Transformers.

And now the reviews are coming out and they are ALL good! Unbelievable. Monster movies never get good reviews.

So I guess the next question would be...how many of you are planning on seeing it?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it. It's a weird title for a movie and going by just the title, I can't say it sounds interesting to me at all. What's it about? Who's in it?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Never heard of it. It's a weird title for a movie and going by just the title, I can't say it sounds interesting to me at all. What's it about? Who's in it?
It's just a monster movie set in New York, looks like a good thriller. The monster is Godzilla sized, so I guess it'll be that kind of movie.

It's produced by JJ Abrams who did Lost and Alias, so it'll be well shot and well thought out. There's not actually any big names in it, which I kind of like - means they didn't just rely on a star's power to sell the movie, that they've actually concentrated on making a good movie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We saw it this afternoon.

Let me first say - this ain't your parents' monster movie! In fact, this isn't like any kind of monster movie you've ever seen, because it really is a new concept.

Basically, you know how in Godzilla movies there are the masses that scream and run? Well, this is basically from their perspective. It's all shot from a hand-held videocamera perspective. If you get motion sick really easy, you may want to skip this. There have been reports of people actually getting sick in the theaters. Not from the content, from the perspective.

But without giving away anything, this is probably the most intense movie I've ever seen. I found myself leaning back in my seat through most of it, as if sitting back 2 inches would futher remove me from it. But although it is a monster movie, it isn't all blood and gore (I don't like those kinds of movies), and while the monster is key in the plot, it is at it's core a movie about Rob and Beth. So it's a survival story, a bravery story, a love story, a story about friends and family. And yet it's a monster story. You really don't find out a whole lot about the monster because Rob and his friends don't find out much about the monster. Because this story takes place the night the monster attacks New York City. No one really knows anything about the monster.

Overall, I actually really liked the movie and I am not a monster movie type of person. I went because Earl has been obsessed with the viral marketing. It built a lot of expectations for a lot of people, and it lived up to it.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Is anyone else obsessing or with someone who is obsessing about this movie? OMG, Earl has been searching for everything to do with this movie since we saw the trailer when we saw Transformers.

And now the reviews are coming out and they are ALL good! Unbelievable. Monster movies never get good reviews.

So I guess the next question would be...how many of you are planning on seeing it?
OMG SAME HERE!!! I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!
my BF got to se it in Theaters a couple days ago and im like trying to find everything i can about it!!! I want my BF to download it, put it on a CD and mail it to me ((he lives out of state
)) but he wont do it cuz he didnt like it
((we have totally diff. taste in movies.. like I loved I am Legend but he thought it was Gay.. im in love with Zombie movies but he hates them!))

If you get motion sick really easy, you may want to skip this.
Haha my BF said the same exact thing!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its blair witch does newyork. it was a fun idea for a movie. But really made for people who grew up on web videos.

lol which is about what the reviews i saw said also haha. i hate it when my thought matchs them.

i would give the movie 6.5 out of 10. worth seeing but not at full price

hmm i guess that sounded kinda hard. i like monster movies, and i am a huge fan of godzilla
hehe, i think the whole running with the camera thing was over done.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

its blair witch does newyork. it was a fun idea for a movie. But really made for people who grew up on web videos.
I can kinda see it, but Cloverfield was SO much better than Blair Witch!! BW was only good for like the first 100 people who ever saw it and thought that it might be real. Because if you knew it was fake, it was seriously stupid.

I still haven't gotten in on the YouTube thing, so I don't think it's just for people who are into that. I thought it was just a really innovative way to shoot a monster movie.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of wanted to see it, because I am curious..but I am not sure about that motion sickness thing. That type of filming usually annoys me alot. HmMM, I may have to think this through

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll probably see only a few minutes of the actual monster in the entire movie, and most likely at the very end if it dies or something.

It just seems like that type of movie since they dont actually show the monster's full body, like in Godzilla or King Kong. In those movies you see plenty of up close shots of the monster.

Im guessing the hype will die down once people actually see it.

Thats my guess.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, you see quite a bit of the monster throughout the movie. More than a few glimpses here and there anyway. But yes, you do get to see it in full detail toward the end when it's still on its rampage.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe i will say the monster at times sounds more like godzilla of old to me.
BW witch was good if you take into accont who made it, that what i found good about it. Group of students and new comers made a half way good movie. hehe, of course the peopel that thought it was for real just made it better...

not saying its bad,and i hope it does well. Maybe they will keep trying new styles and new movies not just remakes of every old video game,tv show , or remake 400 of old movies

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just saw Cloverfield and really enjoyed it! I really liked the handheld camera style, made it seem more realistic and exciting, more like you were "experiencing" the movie rather than just watching it.

I think it's worth seeing on the big screen rather than on DVD. And yes, there are plenty of monster shots, including a rather exciting close up of it toward the end.

The ending was good as well, I thought it was a great way to end it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGOMGOMG!!!!!

We went and saw this tonight. Nate had managed to prevent me from seeing any trailers or reviews, and I had NO idea what this film was even about (glad I didn't look at this thread before tonight!!!!)

It completely blew me away - I think I saw it the best way possible, no idea what was going to happen, no preconceptions - the most fantastic time!!! Spent most of the film on the edge of my seat, absolutely fantastic... go and see it!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you get motion sick really easy, you may want to skip this. There have been reports of people actually getting sick in the theaters. Not from the content, from the perspective.
A couple of my friends seen it and they said it was really fast and she got motion sick from it

But I definatly want to see it!