Proactiv

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried Proactiv? I really want to try it, but I am not sure if its going to work or not. My sister tried it, and it didn't really work for her.

I can't stand having pimples and I really want them to go away.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked into it, and the fact that I would have had to apply stuff to my face several times a day, with multiple applications made me decide against it.

I wound up going on Yasmin BC pills to control bacterial growth in the skin that causes adult-onset cystic acne, and my skin is as clear now as it was when I was 20.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a teenager all I did was use "Clearasil" soap to wash my face. To my knowledge you can still buy it. Why spend hundreds of dollars on something when you can buy something cheap at the drug store?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard mixed reviews, it works for some - and not for others
I guess its different for everyone.

I used to have 'monthly' breakouts, and ever since I switched my makeup, I never get breakouts anymore! I was using a creame-to-powder foundation, but have recently since before Christmas switched to a loose powder foundation - Bare Minerals. Its cleared up my skin so much!

I have extremely sensitive skin & I don't use any cleanser on my face, I use a microfiber face cloth from a company called Norwex -its the best thing in the world! (I use allll their cleaning products too!) Ever since I've started using that twice a day, along with switching up my makeup so Bare Minerals, I've been a happy girl!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are serious about trying it, there is a generic version of the product now sold at drug stores and Costco. The problem I have with Proactiv is that they automatically send you replacements every 3 months and I refuse to get on any automatic plan until I sample it.

Yes, I'm old and still have acne (horribly sensitive skin). When I use the generic version regularly, it helps a lot.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, I totally read this wrong, I thought you meant dan active (the yogurt) and I was going to pipe in and say I have been drinking the dan active yogurt drinks that have probiotics in them and not getting sick as much.

Sorry I am no help.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

When I was a teenager all I did was use "Clearasil" soap to wash my face. To my knowledge you can still buy it. Why spend hundreds of dollars on something when you can buy something cheap at the drug store?
Because if your acne is caused by bacteria UNDER the skin, a simple astringent isn't going to fix it - I know all too painfully well.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I've discovered, all "name brands" like clearasil (especially Clearasil!), Proactiv, Oxy..... they don't work. They just dry your skin out and encourage the over-production of natural oils. At least it did for me, regardless of various toners and moisturisers etc etc. I had an entire bathroom shelf stuffed with expensive products that just don't work. I've finally managed to get a relatively decent grip on things by using a product I bought at the chemist called Basiron. It's a water based cream that helps to kill bacteria and balance the skin's pH levels and oil production. I also use a mango facial scrub by Origins - it's expensive, but by goodness it's worth it's weight in gold AND it smells heavenly! I do still have problems from time to time - like during the winter when my skin is subjected to all the harsh elements (I work outdoors too all year round), and at that end of the month.

My suggestion would be not to buy expensive over-hyped (and sometimes falsly advertised) products, and actually talk to a doctor or your pharmacist. they generally can provide you with something ten times as effective at a fraction of the price.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Hello
...My acne has went away since I've started using St. Ives Medicated Facial Scrub. [/b]
That's a fantastic product! I even use it as a body wash from time to time... it does a fantastic job of getting your skin clean and smooth, and the "medicated" ingredient seems to discourage all kinds of blemishes, too.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I used to have 'monthly' breakouts, and ever since I switched my makeup, I never get breakouts anymore! I was using a creame-to-powder foundation, but have recently since before Christmas switched to a loose powder foundation - Bare Minerals. Its cleared up my skin so much!
I haven't had a single pimple since switching to a mineral powder foundation, either. It's been a year since I switched, and my skin has improved SO much. I use the Everyday Minerals brand instead of the Bare Minerals, but it's essentially the same thing.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

I haven't had a single pimple since switching to a mineral powder foundation, either. It's been a year since I switched, and my skin has improved SO much. I use the Everyday Minerals brand instead of the Bare Minerals, but it's essentially the same thing.
Its great isn't it?!

I cannot believe that my face cleared up so much since switching!
I haven't had a single breakout since November when I switched

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already wrote a reply but apparently it didn't work when I clicked reply...weird.

I don't really wear makeup so I know its not that. I used to be on the birth control pill and it worked really good, but I can't afford it now that I don't have any insurance.

I just want something that will work. I have been to different doctors and dermatologists and nothing I have tried works.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I already wrote a reply but apparently it didn't work when I clicked reply...weird.

I don't really wear makeup so I know its not that. I used to be on the birth control pill and it worked really good, but I can't afford it now that I don't have any insurance.

I just want something that will work. I have been to different doctors and dermatologists and nothing I have tried works.
Samething here!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Samething here!
My daughter has the same problem. She was taking daily antibiotic plus the antibiotic cream, which helped only a bit. The tricyclic BC helps the most.
I used to suffer alot, too. for a while, I drank yarrow tea from the health food store, which worked, but then I started working 2 jobs and didn't make the time to keep up with it. It took almost a month of the tea to work, but it did help.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought this new product from Clearasil. It is just like Proactiv but they claim its even better. I have never tryed Proactiv but I know this stuff is working for me. I like how you can feel it working while your using it. Also I noticed my skin a lot clearer and smoother looking the first time I used it.

http://www.clearasil.us/kits/kits_acne.shtml

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fadeaway872

I just bought this new product from Clearasil. It is just like Proactiv but they claim its even better. I have never tryed Proactiv but I know this stuff is working for me. I like how you can feel it working while your using it. Also I noticed my skin a lot clearer and smoother looking the first time I used it.

http://www.clearasil.us/kits/kits_acne.shtml
Maybe I will try that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I looked into it, and the fact that I would have had to apply stuff to my face several times a day, with multiple applications made me decide against it.

I wound up going on Yasmin BC pills to control bacterial growth in the skin that causes adult-onset cystic acne, and my skin is as clear now as it was when I was 20.
I'm the opposite with it. I'm on yasmine for actual BC, and it's done nothing for my skin. Proactiv worked great for me when I used it. But be prepared to have your wash cloths bleached out from it. I only used the basic 3 step package of it. I'd go back on it if I could add it in my budget right now.

I've also been on antibiotics to control my acne because it gets to be 'deep' in the skin.

taylormae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to use it when I was a teenager. Theonly reason I stopped is because I moved to the UK and you couldn't get it. You can now, but it's twice the price, and I have grown out of the acne I used to have. I think it's because I started taking the pill though.

If I flared up again though I'd def be ordering it again.