TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › My Willow has Cancer(Fibrosarcoma)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Willow has Cancer(Fibrosarcoma)

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am devasted Willow was diagnosed with Fibrosarcoma today. This is a highly malignant (spread quickly) cancer. I am just so upset I kinda knew it was cancer because of the things that have been going with her but I just don't want to believe it. I am looking for any experiences anyone has had or any good links or support groups.
post #2 of 16
I don't know of any support groups, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am!
post #3 of 16
No support groups.. but and
post #4 of 16
I'm so sorry. We just lost Raven to it. He lasted 6 months after diagnosis. Our vet at the time told us it would not spread (make tumors elsewhere), and we were devastated when we moved & he had an x-ray in November (different vet) revealing many internal tumors. We only had him 2 weeks after that.

Sending vibes.

This is one of the best sites I found:
http://www.zzcat.com/
Some books:
http://www.amazon.com/Veterinarians-...9997204&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Comp...997258&sr=8-34
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Health...997258&sr=8-40

There is a yahoo group for cancer, but I didn't find it helpful. No one had dealt with Fibrosarcoma. I wish I could be more helpful.
post #5 of 16
I'm so sorry! She's so young....too young to be dealing with this.

post #6 of 16
Aww so sorry to hear about your cat Willow
All we can say is we hope you will be okay even if it takes some time...
If you need anything at all - we are all here for you
post #7 of 16
I'm so sorry!

I went through a fibrosarcoma scare with my dog over Christmas. Maybe its different in dogs and cats, but my vet assured me that the good news about that particular cancer is that it is very slow to metastasize. If you catch it early enough with surgery, with perhaps some follow up chemo treatment, that it could be very easy to treat with no reduction of lifespan.

Take a deep breath to calm yourself, then call your vet and have a heart to heart discussion on the prognosis. Make sure you understand the disease and your treatment options and call in a specialist if you need to.

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
Take a deep breath to calm yourself, then call your vet and have a heart to heart discussion on the prognosis. Make sure you understand the disease and your treatment options and call in a specialist if you need to.

Very good advice. I should add, Raven's tumor was located on his spine and not operable. We had no choice but to keep him comfortable until we couldn't anymore.

I hope your kitty's is treatable.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
I'm so sorry. We just lost Raven to it. He lasted 6 months after diagnosis. Our vet at the time told us it would not spread (make tumors elsewhere), and we were devastated when we moved & he had an x-ray in November (different vet) revealing many internal tumors. We only had him 2 weeks after that.
I was told 6 months for Willow. I hope I get that long with her. Her cancer has spread to her brain. She is not curable.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, hugs, and vibes. I sure do need them
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitytize View Post
I was told 6 months for Willow. I hope I get that long with her. Her cancer has spread to her brain. She is not curable.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, hugs, and vibes. I sure do need them
I'm so sorry.

I supplemented Raven's food with Shark's Cartilage and Fish Oil. The books I linked have how much to use for cancer. I don't know if it helped or not, but it was the only thing we could do. I also read that cancer likes carbohydrates-carbs help it grow, so Raven was on as much canned food as we could get him to eat (which he loved).

I'm so sorry. Sending vibes that you get as long as we did with Raven.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I'm so sorry!

I went through a fibrosarcoma scare with my dog over Christmas. Maybe its different in dogs and cats, but my vet assured me that the good news about that particular cancer is that it is very slow to metastasize. If you catch it early enough with surgery, with perhaps some follow up chemo treatment, that it could be very easy to treat with no reduction of lifespan.
Unfortunately in cats, there is a vaccination-related fibrosarcoma which is extremely aggressive. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...brosarcom.html
I did a lot of research when Petunia had it. Fortunately, Pet has the slow growing version and we were able to remove the tumors. It didn't come back for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitytize View Post
I was told 6 months for Willow. I hope I get that long with her. Her cancer has spread to her brain. She is not curable.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, hugs, and vibes. I sure do need them
I'm so sorry for you and Willow. We will be here for you through all of this.
post #12 of 16
I am sooo sorry for you and Willow! I don't have any more advice to offer, but just wanted to say that we are all here for you....
post #13 of 16
To both you and Willow!! I have no other advise about this cancer because I have never dealt with it in a cat but i do know how you feel getting a scary diagnosis and I wish you both the best.
post #14 of 16
I am so sorry about Willow..many prayers coming her way...and for you
post #15 of 16
I'm so very sorry for you and Willow.
post #16 of 16
Aww, poor Willow

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › My Willow has Cancer(Fibrosarcoma)