New breeders for our cattery

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are two of Icey and Dante's kittens. We have decided to retire them and these are the two kittens we will be keeping.
This one is a seal mitted female we are naming Celestialrags Sweet Obession.
Her first show will be in march. I am so excited to show a kitten from my own cattery, I hope she does good!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/Image018.jpg

This one is a chocolate mitted (hard to tell from the picture though) I haven't decided completely on her name, I think Carisma, but not sure. I planned to keep just the seal, she has better markings and I will show her, but this one has too much white on her lip/nose for showing, but want a choc. for breeding so I will breed her too.
I have ordered a DNA kit to have her tested to determine that she is a true choc. and if so I am breeding her (if she isn't, I won't keep her for breeding,LOL!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/Image017.jpg

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't read the Raggy standards lately, but is ok for those little white smudges on the nose on a mitted? I thought the mitteds only had the white feet. And the bicolors had white on the face/nose area.

Correct me if I'm wrong
If acceptable, then those look like nice kittens. Hope they do well in the shows. And I know what you mean when you get to show your own breeding and he/she does well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little is ok, but it should be neat, if you know what I mean, it can't be all uneven and crooked, like the chocolate one. As far as the white on the seals nose she should do fine, I have seen cats with titles that have a lot more of a blaze.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the first one is very well marked. The second one will breed ok, but may not show as well, but I don't think it's a disqualifier. Lack of a white chin would be a disqualifier, for example.

Are you going to buy a new male then?

And if she's not a true chocolate, what WOULD she be? Just a light seal?

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both kittens are nice.

How is their size and body type?
The ears on the choc. look pointy. But it's hard to tell.

The blaze on the seal is nice, the Chocolate, however, has white below the nose which I believe is a penalty.

Our seal mitted boy Toby has a "milk mastache"

It's exciting when you get to hold back a nice kitten. We are holding back our first kitten. She is very nicely marked seal bicolor, awesome eye color/shape, and has a excellent body type. Her problem is her head. She doesn't have a nice enough scoop, chin a little weak, and her ears are large. We're hoping she'll grow into them.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yes, the first one is very well marked. The second one will breed ok, but may not show as well, but I don't think it's a disqualifier. Lack of a white chin would be a disqualifier, for example.

Are you going to buy a new male then?

And if she's not a true chocolate, what WOULD she be? Just a light seal?
I wont buy a male, for a while, I may just hire a stud from a breeder near me (Dorothy, where stormi got a few of her cats from)

If she isn't a chocolate then she is a losey colored or washed out seal, I realy doubt it though, but doing the DNA testing any way just to be possitive. Dante' has choc in his lines, quite a few I think.

Originally Posted by marsch21

Both kittens are nice.

How is their size and body type?
The ears on the choc. look pointy. But it's hard to tell.

The blaze on the seal is nice, the Chocolate, however, has white below the nose which I believe is a penalty.

Our seal mitted boy Toby has a "milk mastache"

It's exciting when you get to hold back a nice kitten. We are holding back our first kitten. She is very nicely marked seal bicolor, awesome eye color/shape, and has a excellent body type. Her problem is her head. She doesn't have a nice enough scoop, chin a little weak, and her ears are large. We're hoping she'll grow into them.
I am slightly concerned about their size, they are petite females and most have been really slow to mature and get their size.
I think the seals ears is a little pointier then the chocs infact I really like EVERYTHING about the choc, except that nose, I was thinking of showing her any way, I have seen much worse on a site and it was a champion, and every thing else, I think is good on her.
I am worried about the eye color of the choc too. they are a little light. But, being choc they would be, I guess.
I guess the only way to see what is good and what I have to work on is get them to a show, and see what the judges inturputation of the standards are, they could very well be different then mine and they may bomb, but atleast it will get me in a good direction for finding a male for them to breed with, so I have show kittens from them. I haven't been to many shows, only one in fact.

I am a little dissapointed, the show was moved to april 11-14, they will turn 8 months on march 27th, now they will have to be shown as adults and not in the kitten class, I fear they will not stand up as babies to big mature seasnoned adults. I may not even show them in this one, just go and see what the judges like and don't like and go from there.

Any advice GK45? Do they have to be shown in kitten class first? Should I try and put them against the big adults?
I am so dissapointed!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't have to be shown as kittens. Females are expected to be smaller then males and the judges will take into account their ages. I'd still put them in to get them used to shows/handling, etc. even if they don't get much the first few times.

It would depend on if they really have competition or not. I don't think chocolates are as popular, so you could luck out on winners ribbons by default. You'd also get a chance to talk to the judges and other raggy breeders on their opinions.

After all, shows are for "opinions" and what is good/bad. Its worth taking them out and showing for evaluation.

Charlie picked up a few points/finals as an 8 month old, but then by 9 months till about now (15/16 months) he was in the "teenage" stage and didn't do as well, tho he still picked up points/finals. This past show (ACFA) was his best - finaled in 5 out of 8 rings
So he's coming into his own now - still has a ways to go, but know that he's a lot better then he was 6 months ago.

You know if the potential is there or not

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess on the chocolate is that she really is, because Dante is consistently throwing chocolate. But it's good to know for sure!

I think Stormi just sent a kitten to Dorothy. Or do I have that backwards?

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure she is a true choc as well. I got the little form to do the test, but now my printer wasn't working and now it is out of ink

When I get new ink and print it out, all I will have to do is get q-tips and swab her checks and mail it in. It didn't have a neat little swab kit like the one I got for HCM testing, LOL!

I think I will try the show with atleast the seal if I can this april. As for the choc, if I have the money when I do it, mabey I will enter her too.
But, I think it will be worth it to show my seal.

This is one of my favorite picks of her, she also likes to ride horses

This was the choclate one when she was little

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to add a couple more cute pics of them. They won't help in determining if they are show quality or not, but they were still so cute!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Haven't read the Raggy standards lately, but is ok for those little white smudges on the nose on a mitted? I thought the mitteds only had the white feet. And the bicolors had white on the face/nose area.

Correct me if I'm wrong
If acceptable, then those look like nice kittens. Hope they do well in the shows. And I know what you mean when you get to show your own breeding and he/she does well
I just got this from the CFA breed standards, I can't get TICA to come up.

MITTED PATTERN (AOV): points: legs (except for feet), ears, mask, and tail well-defined. May have a white blaze in the shape of a star, diamond, hour-glass or line in one patch or broken, centrally and symmetrically located anywhere from the top of the nose leather to the forhead. Chin must be white and extend into white belly stripe. Front feet: white mittens present on both feet, evenly matched, preferably going up to and around the wrist joint. Back legs: white must go up to and around the hocks entirely, extending no higher than mid-thigh. Nose leather: fully pigmented and matching point color. Paw pads: pink but may show minor spotting of color corresponding to point color. Body: definite contrast between body and points. There should be a white belly stripe, varying in width from the bib, between the forelegs down the midline of the underside of the cat. Soft shadings of color are allowed on body. Allowance to be made for faint ghost markings on kittens. Full color achieved after 2 years of age. Disqualify: absence of white chin.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I know is that they are not ruddy, red, blue, or fawn
But they sure are nice looking cats!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

All I know is that they are not ruddy, red, blue, or fawn
But they sure are nice looking cats!

Still not too up to date on my Raggies - still wanting to see one with a "perfect" inverted V irrespective of color!

But, having said all that, I'd go with chocolate......

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not talking about the seal color - just like the face pattern on those two. But yes the seals do show off the markings (flashy) better then the blues

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Not talking about the seal color - just like the face pattern on those two. But yes the seals do show off the markings (flashy) better then the blues
I know, Just kidding!