Another not so great day today

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John decided to start painting our bedroom last night. I sat here on the computer while he painted, and about an hour after he started my throat started to hurt and I started to cough a lot. John's brother has had a bad cough for a week so I figured I was just starting to get what he's got. After John was done painting, we went to sleep. I tossed and turned all night with a sore throat and coughing and an irritated feeling in my throat.

I woke up this morning with a ton of drainage causing a bad gagging feeling in my throat if I try to swallow. The sore throat is mostly gone but my throat is extremely irritated and it hurts when I breathe. The drainage is upsetting my stomach too, because I haven't eaten much the past few days.

I'm still smelling the paint really strongly and I really think the fumes might be what's causing me to feel this bad. John said anything's possible but he doesn't think that's causing it because paint fumes have never bothered him before like this. But when I talked to his grandpa this morning he said it very well could be that.

I'd love some feel better quickly vibes if you could spare them, I've got a lot to get done today!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww we hope you feel better as soon as possible!

Heres tons of For you too!
Hopefully you can get well enough to get everything done that you need to...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try very hard to hold off any painting until the weather warms up and we can open up the windows. Paint fumes will cause exactly what you are describing. I get what you described plus a sinus headache on top of it. I'm in the middle of painting a few rooms right now cause we will be busy this spring and I can't do it then. I've got all the purifiers running on high to cut the smell, and am taking aspirin all day long to counter the inflamation from the fumes.

Do you have an air purifier that you can turn on for a while until the smell starts to decrease? And next time John gets the urge to paint your bedroom, sleep on the sofa that night!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Do you have an air purifier that you can turn on for a while until the smell starts to decrease?
We do have a small one that runs constantly because John has asthma. Amazingly, he's not affected by the paint in the least way but I'm pretty miserable. I'm feeling a tiny bit better but my throat is so scratchy I still can't swallow very often without gagging.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaw
It does sound very much like paint fumes are your problem. Is there a way to air out the room a bit without kitty-cats escaping? I would strongly recommend opening the window for an hour or two - you'd be amazed what a difference it can make. I hope you feel better soon