TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 3 Quadrillion Dollars
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3 Quadrillion Dollars

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Yup, that's the highest sum for a lawsuit in history, file a person in Baker, LA to the U.S. Government for the devastation of Katrina.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/...flood_lawsuits

Talk about negotiating high
post #2 of 26
I personally think it isn't even enough to cover what all the Katrina victims have been through - and CONTINUE to go through in trying to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives.
post #3 of 26
There isn't money in the world to cover the damages.

But, start with making the insurance companies actually do their job (instead of all this crap about there being no wind damage, just water, and refusing to pay).

The govt pretty much screwed the pooch on this one, but they didn't cause the hurricane.
post #4 of 26
I agree, its the insurance companies who need to fork out the $$$ on this one. That is a lot of money, and the country will go into deficit as it is with billions having been spent on Iraq.

I agree the federal government should have done more when it first happened to help the victims, but it isn't the government's fault that it happened.

But honestly $3 Quadrillion?!?!?!?! I would think that would bankrupt the entire planet!!!! Or some major companies to open their safes!

Maybe they are aiming high to negotiate low? Sorry but this ridiculous amount reminded me of the Austin Powers movie where the President laughed in Dr. Evil's face and said that kind of money didn't exist!

I do feel bad for them and what they went through, but they'll never get it....
post #5 of 26
Katrina victims have been helped more than any other victims of any other natural catastrophe in this nation's history.

I thought people couldn't sue the Government.

Yes, the insurance companies suck bad.

As for the levees, I understood that they WERE given monies to improve and/or rebuild their levees, but the corrupt government, either local, county or state (and probably all) decided to use that money for OTHER things.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Katrina victims have been helped more than any other victims of any other natural catastrophe in this nation's history.

I thought people couldn't sue the Government.

Yes, the insurance companies suck bad.

As for the levees, I understood that they WERE given monies to improve and/or rebuild their levees, but the corrupt government, either local, county or state (and probably all) decided to use that money for OTHER things.

Oh yeah, they got helped alright. Right out of their lives.

Are you aware that the US gov't sent a bunch of great big freezer trucks full of ice down south, only to have them turned back around and sent to Gloucester, MA, where the trucks sat, RUNNING, in cold storage, maintaining that unused ice for OVER A YEAR until they finally figured out that there was no point in keeping it anymore. It cost the government more than a million dollars for that "aid."

The US gov't built how many THOUSANDS of mobil homes that sat in storage on lots rather than be distributed to those who were now homeless? Mobil homes that were built quickly and CHEAPLY and were therefore useless if not used, and almost useless if used but hit by another hurricane.

The US gov't sent debit cards to state aid offices that then embezzled the money rather than giving it to the victims that needed it for the most BASIC of needs.

And they can't sue the government, why exactly?
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Katrina victims have been helped more than any other victims of any other natural catastrophe in this nation's history.
.
In August 2006, my town & even my townhouse was destroyed by a natural disaster - flooding. We went through everything that the Katrina victims went through, but we were told that we were helped more than they were. Even though we didn't get enough help, we got something.

I honestly feel awful for these people. I know EXACTLY how they feel. Loosing everything & not getting any help from the government as we should have. Granted we recieved more help than Katrina has, but still, its a slow process. These people have a right to get help from the government, or something at least.

Insurance companies, they don't do much. We had insurance & it didn't cover a single thing. Unless you have flood insurance, and even that won't cover it unless things were ruined the way they are outlined in the contract.

A lady who had flood insurance for over 30 years lost her home along with us this past August, then filed a claim with her insurance and because her basement walls DIDN'T cave in, they weren't paying. Not a single dime! A bit crazy if you ask me.

So, I feel as though they are asking for enough, and I honestly hope they FINALLY get something because this is just truly unreal.
post #8 of 26
This was ONE person/ family, not the entire # of Katrina victims asking for it....
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
Oh yeah, they got helped alright. Right out of their lives.

Are you aware that the US gov't sent a bunch of great big freezer trucks full of ice down south, only to have them turned back around and sent to Gloucester, MA, where the trucks sat, RUNNING, in cold storage, maintaining that unused ice for OVER A YEAR until they finally figured out that there was no point in keeping it anymore. It cost the government more than a million dollars for that "aid."

The US gov't built how many THOUSANDS of mobil homes that sat in storage on lots rather than be distributed to those who were now homeless? Mobil homes that were built quickly and CHEAPLY and were therefore useless if not used, and almost useless if used but hit by another hurricane.

The US gov't sent debit cards to state aid offices that then embezzled the money rather than giving it to the victims that needed it for the most BASIC of needs.

And they can't sue the government, why exactly?
Are you aware that thousands DID get debit cards? Most used them wisely, alot used them for alcohol and to go to strip clubs.

I blame the the state of LA for not rebuilding those levees when they got the money for them, but no one talks about that, it is always Bush's fault. It was the levee's breaking that caused most of the catastrophe and we all know it.

I, personally, know of people that went down there right after Katrina to help and many of the victims turned their noses up at the clothes they were given. If they were not brand new, they did not want them.

Las Vegas brought a few thousand Katrina victims here and put them up and found them jobs. Guess what? They did not want the jobs, it would jeopardize the income they received from NOT working, why would they want a job.

I have said it before and I will say it again, regarding Katrina victims, many used it as a way to escape the grinding poverty that was their life and are better for it today and many just took the hand outs and wanted more.

Look at Houston Texas, they took many many Katrina victims in, check out the skyrocketing crimes rates that was their reward for their help.

I think they should receive help and lots of it, but I believe they should help themselves also.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion View Post
This was ONE person/ family, not the entire # of Katrina victims asking for it....
But if you read the entire story, you'll see that there are tens of thousands of such claims that have been and are still being filed - this one was picked on because of the high number, designed to get attention - as it rightly has!
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
But if you read the entire story, you'll see that there are tens of thousands of such claims that have been and are still being filed - this one was picked on because of the high number, designed to get attention - at it rightly has!
I wish I could have filed for that much when we were doing this stuff
At least they are finally getting some attention & hopefully can get some much needed help!
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
But if you read the entire story, you'll see that there are tens of thousands of such claims that have been and are still being filed - this one was picked on because of the high number, designed to get attention - as it rightly has!
I did read the entire story. I understand its an issue that needs a lot more attention, but to be honest, I'm a little tired of how sue-happy we've become here in the US. They should be looking for ways to get the government to pressure the insurance companies, not suing the government when they are not at fault. By going about it in this manner makes them seem greedy and ridiculous IMO and is not a way to gain sympathy.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion View Post
I did read the entire story. I understand its an issue that needs a lot more attention, but to be honest, I'm a little tired of how sue-happy we've become here in the US. They should be looking for ways to get the government to pressure the insurance companies, not suing the government when they are not at fault. By going about it in this manner makes them seem greedy and ridiculous IMO and is not a way to gain sympathy.
Live through a disaster like the Katrina victims did, and I think your perspective just might change a bit.

There is a TREMENDOUS difference between this type of a suit and one filed because some stupid lady put a cup of hot coffee between her knees and spilled it on her crotch.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I personally think it isn't even enough to cover what all the Katrina victims have been through - and CONTINUE to go through in trying to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives.
I'll have to agree with you. It's still a huge mess down there!!!! It's like walking into a developing nation located IN the US!!!!!
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
Live through a disaster like the Katrina victims did, and I think your perspective just might change a bit.

There is a TREMENDOUS difference between this type of a suit and one filed because some stupid lady put a cup of hot coffee between her knees and spilled it on her crotch.
I am empathetic to their suffering. The conditions are VERY sad. My uncle and cousin have moved down to Louisiana, and have been there since a few months after it happened to help re-build homes and have been down there ever since (only coming back to WI occasionally). It infuriated me to see people suffering and the government not responding (they definitely responded quicker to the tsunami victims OUTSIDE the US than to people in their OWN country.

The government has been giving funds for people to re-build their lives. I'm positive it hasn't been enough, but even if the government gave them enough money to live comfortably for life, there'd still be some who would say it's not enough...

I'm sure the percentage of victims helped in the floods by the Mississippi was better due to the fact that the % of people helped out was a lot better than Katrina due to the vast amount of people in need. I'm not using the numbers as an excuse, but a fact.

I don't think there is a $$$$ amount you can put on it with the amount of suffering involved in Hurricane Katrina
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion View Post

I don't think there is a $$$$ amount you can put on it with the amount of suffering involved in Hurricane Katrina
And there you have it: THAT is the exact reason why the 3 quadrillion figure was chosen. It isn't realistic, the claim filer is fully aware of that. It is inestimable.

But a filer HAS to choose a number, and the country is talking about it again, so it looks like the suit has already been somewhat successful.
post #17 of 26
i think, he should have his DNA removed from the human gene pool.
its a waste of money to rebulid a city what will only get wipped out again its only a matter of time.
post #18 of 26
And it is NOT the federal governments fault that the state of Louisiana is so corrupt that they wouldn't even replace or fix their levee's.

Never have heard how that one senator or congressman, can't remember his name now, came out on his corruption trial. They found $90,000 CASH is his FREEZER he got from taking bribes. THAT is the state of LA, rampant corruption.

And the people RE-ELECTED that moron Mayor that is the main guy who threw them under the bus during Katrina.
Oh, but no one mentions that, it is far easier to blame Bush.
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I blame the the state of LA for not rebuilding those levees when they got the money for them, but no one talks about that, it is always Bush's fault. It was the levee's breaking that caused most of the catastrophe and we all know it.
True, true. If state & city governments were corrupted and actually CARED about their citizens, the levees would have been fixed. I remember a report that several of the civil engineers said that they knew the levees wouldn't touch a hurricane of that level.

My only issue with Bush is that he is the first president to get FEMA directly under the U.S. governments orders. Before that they were their own separate entity that operated independently of U.S. politics...they would see the disaster coming and make the arrangements to be there. Once Bush got them, with all the paper filing and bureaucracy that goes on, that's what prevented FEMA from getting there on time. That and some appointee that sat on his butt too long.

I do empathize with the Katrina victims, I am now in a flood zone too. However at what point is it the governments fault that you decided to live in a flood zone and allow a hurricane to come through? If you look back at the article, even insurance companies are filing suits against the government. I guess my question is, at what point are we becoming too dependent on our government?
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post

I do empathize with the Katrina victims, I am now in a flood zone too. However at what point is it the governments fault that you decided to live in a flood zone and allow a hurricane to come through? If you look back at the article, even insurance companies are filing suits against the government. I guess my question is, at what point are we becoming too dependent on our government?

I agree. When my uncle and cousin originally went down there to LA (by Baton Rouge) to re-build homes, they weren't sure how long they'd be down there due to the fact that many people decided to move out of the area. However, its amazing at the number who wish to stay. I'm not faulting them for staying in the area they grew up in and knew, but I'd be darned if I'd stay in a giant bowl and let it happen again.

As far as government is concerned, Ronald Reagan said it best in his 1981 Inaugural Address:

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price."
post #21 of 26
I love Ronald Reagan.


To, to, to many feel government owes us everything. It is a big part of what is wrong with this country IMO.
post #22 of 26
I think one of the things people are forgetting here are the reports that were made that the levee was built by the army corp of engineers, and there are memos that were circulated when it was being built that it may not be sufficient under certain circumstances.

So part of the reason for suing the government is for building a faulty levee to begin with.



Wosrt-case, I suppose that they can/should sue "god?"
post #23 of 26
That still does not negate the fact that they were given money to rebuild it so it WOULD be safe but they spent the allocated money for other things.
So their own local and state govt did not care much about their people did they?
post #24 of 26
I understand that there is a LOT of poverty in the south (Louisiana, Mississippi, etc) and some people cannot choose where they live, but why would anyone with the means to go elsewhere live in New Orleans? Hurricanes are terrible, but IMO, it is downright dumb to live below the level of a large lake that is right next door. I feel the same way about people who move in next to a nice little stream only to lament about their house being washed away by the torrential river after it rains. The government (on all levels) has handled this catastrophy rather badly, but I don't see why so many people placed themselves in harm's way in the first place.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I think one of the things people are forgetting here are the reports that were made that the levee was built by the army corp of engineers, and there are memos that were circulated when it was being built that it may not be sufficient under certain circumstances.

So part of the reason for suing the government is for building a faulty levee to begin with.



Wosrt-case, I suppose that they can/should sue "god?"

no one wanted to spend the money to make them stronger.

they should be suing the people that bulit a city below sea level.
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
Hurricanes are terrible, but IMO, it is downright dumb to live below the level of a large lake that is right next door.
Then where is it safe to live? You have Hurricanes along the gulf and the east coast, earthquakes on the west coast, mountain(s) that can erupt in the NW, lots of snow & cold in the north (to the point that you have to leave the heat on in the garage to start your car the next morning), tornados in the mid west, flooding that can occur anywhere there is a body of water, a super volcano under Yellowstone, Nor'easters in the NE....ummm I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

IMO you have to understand about where you live rather than cry about it when nature happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom
I think one of the things people are forgetting here are the reports that were made that the levee was built by the army corp of engineers, and there are memos that were circulated when it was being built that it may not be sufficient under certain circumstances.
If they had built it for that category of a hurricane, the citizens of the U.S. would have been complaining [at the time] of a waste of taxpayer's money. I do wonder, though, how often a category 4+ hurricane travels through there...if its not that often, well then that's why they didn't build to that standard. If New Orleans only saw Cats 1, 2, 3, then they most likely built it to that standard category.

Nothing is built or created for extreme circumstances. For example if you lived in an earthquake zone and your building is built for the standard seismic zone 4 as that's the highest earthquake the area you live has had for a number of years. One day you wake up to a zone 5 earthquake and your building collapses. Are you still going to sue the builder of the building for not taking into account the *rare* chance that a higher level earthquake could happen?

If I remember correctly, the levees did last through the storm. It wasn't until a day later, after the storm passed that they finally broke.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 3 Quadrillion Dollars