Wanting to adopt a cat with an eye problem

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, I have a question for you guys!

There's a bunch of cats at the local PetSmart up for adoption since they collaborate with the local shelter and bring adoptable cats there. There's one cat in particular I've been interested in for a week or so, a 3 year old black male cat that has been in the adoption agency since he was dropped off at 3 months old and no one has ever wanted to adopt him! Anyway, the only problem I have with this particular cat is one of his eyes (his left one) is partially foggy. I asked about it and she girl there said the cat had a clean bill of health and might "just be going blind" in on eye. I don't think cats "just go blind" and I believe it's some sort of infection or cataract or something and I really want to KNOW what it is before I adopt him. The foggy eye also had some tears coming out of it so his fur around his eye was a little wet, but he did seem in good health otherwise (a bit chubby too).

So my question is should I adopt this cat or ask that they take him to a vet? I'm worried it could be something serious that needs treatment or surgery and I'm not sure I can afford it if it's something very serious that requires many doc visits. I do want to save him though since no one wants the 15 lb black cat with a funky eye, but I think he deserves an awesome home and would get along great with my 5 year old female kitty and my house mate's 3 month old female kitten.

Please give me some advice!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask for a vet check just to see, if you take this handsome fella, and it is something serious, it could cost a lot.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many times, adoption agencies reccomend/require vet visits. IMO, sounds like cataracts & that he is blind in the eye. I have a completely blind kitty & one senior gal that's blind in one eye(the eye is foggy, as you said). Both get around just fine & aren't any "different" than a "normal" cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, but supposedly this adoption agency is also a vet clinic. It's Scottsville Veterinary Clinic in Rochester, NY. I'm not sure how well they great the animals, but the facilities were kind of dirty, super crowded, and tons of dogs/cats in too small of cages in the back, so I'm not sure how "credible" these guys are.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a cat will have a foggy eye from an earlier infection that left damage. And the damage can cause weeping. We had a couple of shelter kitties like that and they were fine otherwise. If you take him, make it contingent that he gets an independent check up. But it sounds like it isn't a place that you would want to return him to anyway. I would say go for it!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would check their adoption policy.

I adopted Smidge from a rescue place. She had an injured paw - they said it was a puncture would infection only. Found out after a month that it didn't improve that she had a partially crushed paw that was never set or treated, so the bones fused awkwardly. The rescue place I went to had a "health guarantee" - you could return the pet for any reason really, but especially for health problems.

IMO, if this rescue org is serious about adopting this baby out - they'd be more than willing to have you go to your own vet first for an assessment - then you could make your decision. I would request this setup. Frankly though, I believe the baby already truly is yours

I tell ya - the needy ones like that really get to me - I want the "defective" ones like Smidge! (Actually, her's isnt a big deal, she just has trouble walking on her bad paw, it collapses when she walks. I'm so glad I got her - even though she is super cute and super sweet I bet many ppl would have passed her up because she wasn't "perfect")

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really heartbreaking cause I was talking to the adoption person and he said that in the entire 4-5 months the cat has been there, we were the first to ask to actually see him.
No one even looked at him and he's so sweet I don't know why anyone wouldn't. Everyone wants kittens vs adult cats, I suppose.

Yeah, I think I'll call and ask them to have my vet look at him. My vet is AWESOME and such a caring woman I'm sure she'll be able to figure out what's wrong with the poor dude.

I feel bad cause I'm a college student and while I'm not poor, I'm not exactly flowing with money at this point either. I can afford all the vet bills to keep our kitties happy and healthy, but I can't afford extensive surgery if it came down to that for this cat, so I have to really think carefully about choosing to adopt him.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your vet says it does require surgery, maybe she'd do it pro bono to get him out of the shelter and into a loving home? She sounds awesome.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the cat does need surgery, there are a number of groups that offer assistance with vet care. Maybe one of them can help. Will PM you a list. I hope things work out and you're able to give this special cat a loving home!

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi ! It is really sad for the kitty but very nice of you !
I know that when strays are young and have a cold then they can lose one eye and sometimes they just get a cataract... I know a stray female, she must be 2 yrs old and she has one eye with a shade... she has a normal life !

Another cat with both eyes with a shade was adopted, got some meds from the vet and his eyes are much better now and he can see well ! so I guess it depends on the case, I know that an eye operation can be something around 200-300 euros when needed...

Good luck with the kitty and I hope he wont be needing the surgery !

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok all, what I think I'm going to do is this weekend stop by PetSmart and ask that the cat be seen by another vet and get him checked up first. If all is well, I'd love to adopt him.

Any other words of wisdom or advice are most appreciated!

And if anyone was wondering, this is what the sweetie looks like!

(hope it shows, I directly linked it from facebook so if it doesn't, copy/paste the URL into your browser and put a "?" after the .jpg and it'll show!

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/phot...42368_2439.jpg

And this is my current adopted kitty, Micaiah. She's about 5-6 years old by vet examination and weighs a dainty 8.5lbs!

http://photos-397.ll.facebook.com/ph...44286_9386.jpg

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's darling!! And it's a wonderful, humane gesture to take an older black cat. They are hard to place. And if this one had a physical defect.....well....

Just shows what a good person you are!

wommers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, I love black kitties! Look at him, he looks like a big cuddler.
I got one of my kitties from PetSmart's adoption center too. She'd been there three months and no one wanted her, and had been with the Cat Adoption Team for six months before that. I couldn't believe she'd been in ANY shelter for more than a day! She's very striking and very sweet, and she has extra toes. Maybe it's just me that's totally in love with the boxing glove look.

I'd definitely do as people are saying, and ask that they allow you to take the cat to another vet to get the eye looked at. It would need to be done after you got him anyway, and that way you'd know what you're getting into.

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wommers

Awww, I love black kitties! Look at him, he looks like a big cuddler.
I got one of my kitties from PetSmart's adoption center too. She'd been there three months and no one wanted her, and had been with the Cat Adoption Team for six months before that. I couldn't believe she'd been in ANY shelter for more than a day! She's very striking and very sweet, and she has extra toes. Maybe it's just me that's totally in love with the boxing glove look.

I'd definitely do as people are saying, and ask that they allow you to take the cat to another vet to get the eye looked at. It would need to be done after you got him anyway, and that way you'd know what you're getting into.
Yeah exactly. Poor Chevy (the black cat I want) has been at the shelter for 2.5 years.

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called back in today to the vet clinic and the lady said that the cat has always had a "watery eye" and has been looked at many times by vets who said that there was nothing wrong with him and that he needed no medication or surgery, but didn't specifically say what was wrong with him. :\\ Does this sound normal to anyone?

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Coronet

I called back in today to the vet clinic and the lady said that the cat has always had a "watery eye" and has been looked at many times by vets who said that there was nothing wrong with him and that he needed no medication or surgery, but didn't specifically say what was wrong with him. :\\ Does this sound normal to anyone?
It does sound kind of funny to me -- but on the other hand, I really really want you to adopt him! (What an adorable guy.) And on the other other hand, giving them the benefit of the doubt and having been a volunteer at a rescue for a bunch of years, the reason they might not want you to take him is they really want people to adopt them "for better or worse, in sickness and in health," and they may not want to put him through the trauma of leaving the shelter and being returned.

Did you show the picture to your vet? She can't diagnose him via a picture, but maybe she could give you a worst-case-scenario and if you can handle that (hopefully, it won't BE that), adopt him.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be URI (typical in shelters) we often get watery eyed cats but it goes away once they are over the URI

If the eye is cloudy it is generally a cataract, or an infection from an old injury or illness that can't be fixed

This cat has an unfixable eye injury, possibly caused by an untreated eye infection when he was younger

but wet eyes are usually something different

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no medical knowledge about this, but I can say even if he is blind in that eye I see no probelm. I also have a blind kitty! Leya's our blind girl and she's WONDERFUL!

I hope you get him! And thank you so much!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you take him too!
Yeah, watery eyes are strange.. I hope that everything is alright!