Do your cats do silent meows?

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beauty silently meows, but hardly ever.

She prefers looking at me until I give her what she wants.

Her meow is more like a squeak. (when she does meow)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Popsie know's how to silent meow.
Rarely he'll let out a tiny squeak but he mostly uses loud, obnoxious meows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I don't think Popsie know's how to silent meow.
Rarely he'll let out a tiny squeak but he mostly uses loud, obnoxious meows.
The opposite to Beauty then!

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bentley is king of the silent meows around my house. It is actually pretty rare to hear a real meow from him. Normally all you can hear is the air escaping his mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only ever heard silent meows or squeaks out of Beauty (except one time in the middle of the night when she got rather afraid or distressed and you have never heard a more distressed meow coming up the stairs in all your life!

She must have meowed twice because something woke me up and I think it was the first meow, then I heard a second distressed meow.

She's got me well trained - I come when called.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Max and Penny give silent meows - it's ONLY when they are "talking" directly to me, otherwise, they can be quite vocal.

I'll ask them a question, and they'll look up at me and whisper meow.

It's SO cute.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arwen is the main kitty in the household to have silent mews, she had been doing them all her life so far...as a tiny kitten her mews were practically air!
Now she is a bit older, they have a teeny bit of sound to them, but not much. Her mews get louder when distressed, but apart from that I can hardly hear her.

sweetie kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kitties, and one is more prone to the silent meows than the other one. And sometimes, when we are talking to him, he'll do a meow that almost sounds hoarse.
It is so adorable. We'll wait unitl he gets in the window and starts looking at the birds, and then we'll say Oreo, or Hey, or Cat, and he'll turn aroung and make the cutest little meow. I love it so much. It's little things like this that make me love him even more!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever heard Stan give a real "meow"...it's always the slient ones, a squeak or a chirp.

In fact, the only time he makes any conventional cat sounds is when he's really freaked out or hurt (like when I stepped on his tail the other day
) --that's not a meow either...it's a freaky "reeeeroooowwwww"

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny. He has such a soft voice that he's only now learning (from Baby, who I swear has a Siamese great-granddaddy) that it's OK to make a noise to make people look at you!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeh, Izzy does the actions & no sound comes out LOL! it's like someone has muted her, which makes a change because she's usually so noisy hehe

kittycoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sweetie (R.I.P 2007) used to give silent meows. He would look at me with loving eyes and go through the motions and nothing came out, almost like he was too pooped to meow.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Claire's the only one of my that gives silent meows. She does it when I walk into the room where she is and say, "Where's my Claire?" It's totally adorable.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's almost all Jake used to do is the silent meow. And on the rare occassion you heard his meow, it was a very soft kitten mew.
I loved that about Jake.

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little Min is a silent meower. She meows all the time, we just can't hear it. Its simply the cutest thing. She squeaks and coos from time to time. We call her "Minja" because she is quiet like a Ninja lol.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

Beauty silently meows, but hardly ever.

She prefers looking at me until I give her what she wants.

Her meow is more like a squeak. (when she does meow)
I THINK Persi does silent meows, but then I am so hard of hearing I can't tell for sure.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have a 3 year old tabby that squeaks instead of meowing. my husband will look at her and say 'talk to me' and she'll do the silent meow