Why do I buy her toys?

samalander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday Ishy's other mommy, my roommate, and I went to Petco and bought more toys than we could afford. We also (barely) resisted a sweet ginger boy called Pretzel.

So we get these toys home, present them to her, and go about our business. Later that night, I'm cooking and the roomie is watching TV and- trot trot trot! -here comes Ishy up the stairs. With a pen in her mouth. I buy her all kids of shiny and jingly and light-up whatevers. She brings me a pen for playing with.

She sure is a strange little noodle sometimes.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've asked myself the same questions for years - why do I bother spending all that money on toys, when they'd rather play w/ a milk carton top or something?!

We do it b/c we love them..

~KK~

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I've asked myself the same questions for years - why do I bother spending all that money on toys, when they'd rather play w/ a milk carton top or something?!

~KK~

My boys have almost every toy ever made & they love playing with my chapstick on the kitchen floor, or a milk jug ring

I give up

sweetie kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best toys are the ones that cost a dollar. I can go buy a pack of pipe cleaners and curl them up and throw them on the floor, and it is on!!
It's crazy. They hardly ever play with their mouses or anything like that, but they love their pony tail rubber bands too. Go figure.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought Pepper some squeaking balls, and she ends up loosing them up under the stove... I'm done buying toys for her! She'd rather play with milk rings and empty beer boxes anyway... crazy girl!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's crazy at all! After all, there's nothing about a cat toy that differentiates it from any other small object.

My two love paper balls and a bit of cloth tied to a string... Tiny plays with twist ties (under supervision) and Baby's fond of anything dangling from anywhere!

I like to make my own toys. Generally they are things like a bit of catnip and a plastic bag knotted in a sock, simple things they tend to enjoy.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitty's have more toys than i have clothes LOL! & yet, they always play with rubbish out the bin, they'll drag out anything from the bin & play with it, i caught them once playing with a used tea bag, they'd dragged out the bin in the kitchen! it was in bits all over the living room floor

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cardboard boxes - paper shopping bags with the handles cut off for safety - pen caps - ice cubes - wadded up paper - thick, knotted shoelaces. Who needs cat toys???

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely buy toys these days, although Sonic loves his catnip banana and his stuffed vet and they'll be replaced when necessary, the things that get played with most are till receipts, lottery tickets (after I've checked them of course
), pens, paper bags, boxes, and parrot feathers (which I have in abundance!!!) - so mostly that's what I give them, and they have a whale of a time with the simplest things

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Cardboard boxes - paper shopping bags with the handles cut off for safety - pen caps - ice cubes - wadded up paper - thick, knotted shoelaces. Who needs cat toys???
LOL! my cat's love cardboard boxes & plastic shopping bags! Sparkle likes to sit in them both, dafty she is, the sofa's got to be much more comfy am sure!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our kitties do play with their cat toys but they can't resist the temptation of a paper or plastic bag, any kind of box, or any packaging
Silly Kitties!
We will always buy them new kitty toys...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Our kitties do play with their cat toys but they can't resist the temptation of a paper or plastic bag, any kind of box, or any packaging
Silly Kitties!
But we will still buy them toys...
yeh, that's the same for me! i'll see the toys in the shop, & i'll think "my kitty's would really love that". they do, because of it being new, then they'll get bored of it & go drag some litter out the bin LOL!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't let them play with plastic things unattended obviously - but my 2 always make a beeline for bubble wrap. I am convinced that this will one day end in tears with fluffed up tails and peeing in fright if they make it go pop

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I don't let them play with plastic things unattended obviously - but my 2 always make a beeline for bubble wrap. I am convinced that this will one day end in tears with fluffed up tails and peeing in fright if they make it go pop

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

~KK~
i just spent $50 at Plain Brown Tabby... & Firefox likes q-tips, Cable likes milk rings & ice... however, Chip loves catnip [got him some], Java loves Wildside Salmon [got some of that, too] & some of the others like honeysuckle [Cable actually ingested part of the last honeysuckle snake
]. i also got some valerian stuff - don't know if anyone likes that, but we'll see!

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fall into the same trap of wanting to by them all the toys I think they will like! LOL and sure enough they like the plastic bag it came in more!!

Out of the MANY toys I've bought them, the 'real' toys I've actually found they like are: feather toy (mine was like 3bucks at target), ping pong ball (esp if thrown in the bathtub), laser pointer, and sometimes they'll bunny kick a soft toy filled with catnip (but only if they are already full of energy)..

but usually it's the paper bags, plastic bags, plastic straws, cereal boxes with holes in them, pieces of string, crinkley candy wrappers, tiolet paper rolls.. .. it cracks me up!!

teddybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol! my Teddy has lots of bought toys and home-made toys like fluffy hair bands on string but right now he is chasing around drink bottle lids and scrunched up bits of paper
...but his favourite games are with me...wrestling! which does more damage to me than him lol. A few of his faves are hide n seek, tag (under the door..with fingers and paws), fetch (on our uphill driveway - he pushes the ball down and you fetch lol). Oh he also likes playing in the recycling box!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Givi doesnt play with cat toys either, so i dont bother buying them anymore. he loooooves shoe boxes, pens, anything jewable!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just gave a bunch of toys to the kitties at the shelter for exactly this reason. My cats have 2 boxes full of toys. The only ones they play with are the Yowee cat nip ones and sparkle balls. A lot of the cats at the shelter are not spoiled and picky so they enjoy the toys. So I give them to the shelter kitties and get to enjoy a cat playing with the toys that my cats turn their noses up at.

heddafish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morty plays with the milk jusg rings too. He also likes my wash clothe and loofa. The only "real" toys he likes are these little crinkly foil balls from petland, which end up under the refrigerator, and a mousthat hangs from the door frame on a stretchy string.

He also likes this disgusting black icky spider thing with stringy legs that he stole from my old roommates cat. It's so gross I don't even want to touch it. But he loves it. It looks like a dog chewed it up. Yuck. Peyton plays with jingle balls and hair ties.