Poor Muddy, limping with a fever - any ideas?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 days ago, I watched Stumpy go after Muddy. A lot of hissing, spitting and a few thwaps. Stumpy and Muddy aren't friends, but have always had a very peaceful co-existance. Yesterday I notice Muddy walking with a bit of a gimp. This morning it was more pronounced. Thank you Stumpy for alerting me to Muddy's physical ailment!

When I brought him to the vet, the only physical evidence of a problem was that he was running a fever. His heart was good, fully hydrated, no abcesses found on his leg, and he didn't even wince when the vet fully flexed and examined every bit of his leg. When she tried to feel his abdomen, his muscles were so taught that she couldn't get a good exam on his interior organs.

But Muddy is my "dog food bowl pee-er". He waits until the bowls are empty and goes over to pee in them. I've had him tested for a UTI previously and we didn't find anything. Because it has continued (when we fail to pick up the bowls after a meal), we assumed a behavior thing. He doesn't appear to be straining when he urinates, nor does he go to the litter box more than usual.

So we have 2 conclusions right now: either he did get tagged by a cat and the abcess in underlying and the vet can't feel it, or he actually does have a UTI. She gave him an antibiotic shot and he's on Clavamox for 2 weeks. This would treat either problem. If he doesn't look better by Saturday we bring him back for xrays, bloodwork and urinalysis.

Has anyone seen a cat who had such a bad UTI that they actually gimped? We're putting him on exclusively canned food for a bit (no fish) just in case of a UTI. I've moved the water fountain to the floor (it was on a counter to keep away from the dogs) so that he doesn't have to jump up to get it. Any other advice from folks? Believe it or not, I've not had a cat with a UTI before!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recall ever having a cat that limped due to a UTI, but I did have a cat once who had problems w/ constipation, and seemed to "limp" when he couldn't go...

I really don't have any advice to offer.
I hope Muddy doesn't have anything seriously wrong w/ him and will be all right.

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pamalajane

This can cause limping and a fever.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/FelineCalicivirus.htm
Interesting thought. Muddy does have chronic herpes and has been on L-Lysine for a few years now. But he isn't showing any signs of respiratory problems and the vet looked in his mouth during the exam (no mouth ulcers). So unless calici can cause limping without any respiratory problems, then I'd have to rule that out.

Thanks for the link - it was very informative!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be worth having your baby tested for allergies. Bella kept going lame for about a year. We originally thought the damage to her pads was being caused during her fights with Cindy. Upon further examination and taking biopsies from her pad, it turned out that Bella was allergic to herself and this was causing her to go lame and at the same time, it was attacking her immune system. She was immediately put on a course of steroids and to date, we've not had a re-occurrence

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

It might be worth having your baby tested for allergies. Bella kept going lame for about a year. We originally thought the damage to her pads was being caused during her fights with Cindy. Upon further examination and taking biopsies from her pad, it turned out that Bella was allergic to herself and this was causing her to go lame and at the same time, it was attacking her immune system. She was immediately put on a course of steroids and to date, we've not had a re-occurrence
He also has absolutely no external signs of problems. His skin is fine, the muscles in his legs weren't swollen.

He wasn't doing any better this morning. DH said to take him back in today, but I had to remind him the vet said to give the drugs 48 hours to start working before more tests. He was more snuggly yesterday but I attribute that to him being sick and wanting some comfort.

I fear it's something internal, and probably more than just a URI or abcess. But I'm a worry wart.