Finally got my girl to eat people food!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squishy has turned her nose up to so many things, I finally just assumed she was simply NOT going to eat any people food... Well last nite I cooked some baked chicken and she kept looking at us like she would like a bite, so i finally offered her piece of the chicken. It took her about 5 minutes to finally eat a little tiny piece but she decided she liked it and i gave her a couple more small pieces. So we have concluded now that she likes the milk from a bowl of cereal especially strawberry frosted mini wheats, and chicken!!!!! Im just happy because i thought we had a strange kitty, for i have never seen any animal that would not eat people food'.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

i have never seen any animal that would not eat people food'.
My Abby doesn't like people food. Occasionally she will take a few licks of some milk, and she really likes to lick graham wafers, but she won't "eat" any.

She doesn't even really like wet cat food. Her food of choice is W/D Feline dry cat food that I buy at the vet's.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of confused. Why do you want your cat to eat people food? None of my pets, dogs or cats, get people food, and especially not straight from the dinner table.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat never had the desire for people food, and if he's relentless with his nosiness, I let him sniff a piece of what I'm preparing, but he won't eat it, unless it's a tiny piece of sandwich meat, and that's just to get him off of me while I prepare my food. When I eat, he is always on my case, just curious about the smell, and I shoo him off because he'd wind up sitting on my plate if I didn't!

Plus he has a sensitive stomach so I really can't feed him much because he winds up having vomiting fits.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fang would like yougurt and milk, but gives him diarea. You might want to rethink the milk.
Pansy likes a little ham, cheese makes him puke.

Spike will not eat any people food.

It is better to feed your cats a good quality cat food.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Fang would like yougurt and milk, but gives him diarea. You might want to rethink the milk.
I'm lactose intolerant so I buy lactaid milk. It agrees with my kitties on the occasions where they will drink it. Chynna loves it. Abby will drink a little if it's left over from "Special K Red Berry" cereal, but not plain.

sweetie kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish my kitties wouldn't eat people food. My cats know better than to beg most of the time, but sometimes, the thought of human food makes them forget that that is a no-no, and they will get brave and try and jump on the table. But besides that, they get c/d and that is that.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to be careful about giving people food to cats - especially milk products, which can cause diarrhea and can upset the cat's stomach. It's okay to give them a treat once in awhile, but it's better for them to eat a good quality cat food..

Why would you prefer to have your cats eat people food?

~KK~

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat

I'm kind of confused. Why do you want your cat to eat people food? None of my pets, dogs or cats, get people food, and especially not straight from the dinner table.
For treats.
It's so frustrating when you have a cat that doesn't take treats, so you can't reward them when they're being especially cute!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get a big hug and a kiss, and a walk around the room while I carry them for a treat. They only eat their meals, I do not give pounce (bad). Pansy does like a hunk of whatever meat I am eating though, but I don't have it available for a treat, only supper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No you misunderstood i dont want her to "eat" people food. I just want to find something that she will so she has a special snack when she is good. Its not a replacement for her food by any means. I just thought it was fascinating that she didnt ever want anything. The only thing she has ever been offered was milk and two little pieces of chicken. Its just the fact that she never begs, never gets up in your plate, dont jump on table or counter or anything bad like that. Thats why i want to reward her with something like meat since she dont get meat in her food. I offer her canned food and she wont touch it either. She loves dry food tho. And as far as milk goes she wont drink regular milk straight from the jug, she will only lick a little cereal milk and usually that is about 5 licks and she is done. Thats all. Sorry to confuse anyone.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dushka has never wanted 'people food' even as a treat. Chicken, meat, cheese, milk, she has never tried to get it. The only thing I have ever seen her do is nibble on a hard bread roll. She likes those little dried fish for a treat. As for the others - I wish I could get them to stop wanting it. I give them cheese crumbs as a treat and they fight over them while Dushka watches.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I would LOVE it if mine stopped begging for human food
I second that motion! Junior will usually just sit at my feet and stare at me as if he's trying to guilt me into giving him some. Missy will be all over the table and my plate and I constantly have to fend her off.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat's are terrible for "people food", they'll eat anything hehe! when me & Dan are having something to eat, we always have an audience LOL! & i always leave them a little something hehe, but if Glamorous could get on the plates, am pretty sure she would!