little help?

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, lets see...i've been caring for my friend's cat for about 6 months now. the original plan was that since her cat was pregnant, for the second time, i offered for her to come stay here have her kittens in a safe environment and i would find homes for the kittens when they were old enough. then she would take her cat back to her apartment. her cat, shadow, was over at her parent's house still because she couldnt take a pregnant cat to her apartment, which is why i offered. when i took shadow, my friends mother had past away. and her dad is someone who you would not want to leave pets with.

so shadow has since had her kittens, they are old enough to find homes. but one big huge problem. my friend has also since walked away from her lease at her apartment, is now staying with her dad who is moving soon, and seems to be in no hurry to take her cat back or to get her spayed. now dont get me wrong, i love cats, but i cannot stand this one. she attacks all of my pets because she thinks she owns this house. she has started to not use the litter box, but instead uses the carpet next to it. and because of the guy my friend is dating, she hasnt talked to me for the past month or two.

i cannot keep this cat. nor do i want to take her to an animal shelter, because i know they'll put her down. there is only one no kill shelter in my area and they are completely filled. i just dont know what to do in this situation, i know if she takes her back to her dads she's just going to get pregnant again. i have every cat here at my house from both this cat's litters too. any suggestions?

(sorry its so long, just wanted to get all the facts in)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you afford to have the cat spayed and then give her back? I know it's not the ideal situation - you shouldn't have to be responsible for spaying her, your friend should. But apparently she wasn't responsible enough to begin with, and you're paying for that now.
However, you shouldn't have to be stuck with your friend's cat.

You can click on the picture on the right in my signature line - it'll take you to a list of links where you can search for low-cost spay resources if there are any where you live.

The other thing to consider is - if you can find free or low-cost spay services, get her spayed - and then put up posters to get her adopted out as an alone kitty with someone.
Of course, tell your friend you're doing this.

...and when you write the poster, call her an abandoned kitty, and indicate she's special needs - and has to go to a home where they plan on having just one cat.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Can you afford to have the cat spayed and then give her back? I know it's not the ideal situation - you shouldn't have to be responsible for spaying her, your friend should. But apparently she wasn't responsible enough to begin with, and you're paying for that now.
However, you shouldn't have to be stuck with your friend's cat.
i was thinking about that, i just got my male cat fixed monday and it only cost me 35 dollars. but then i also think well if i get her fixed, is my friend going to get mad, is she going to do something about it, etc.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have two options then:

1) Don't tell her and she won't know (does she visit to see kitty? Or will kitty's shaved tummy hair grow back in before she'd see?)

2) Help her understand why it is so important the kitty be spayed! I mean - she hasn't been responsible for the kittens - you have!

The estimates range, but there are somewhere between 60 and 100 million homeless cats in the U.S. According to the American Partnership for Pets, 8 to 10 million companion animals are admitted to shelters each year. Of these, 4 to 5 million of these are lucky enough to be adopted into new homes. The other 4 to 5 million are murdered each year (or “euthanized,” if you prefer) in order to make room for the new batch of animals.

In fact, it would appear that there are more cats without homes than with them. This should be unacceptable to all of us. And not allowing our pet cats to have kittens is a start. If it is not a purebred cat to be bred for its blood lines, then it shouldn't breed.

Here is an excellent article you may want to print out for her - in addition to the above information:

http://www.sniksnak.com/benefits.html

For someone who didn't want the responsibility of the pregnant cat or the kittens, I can't imagine she'd have a problem with someone else dealing with what should be her responsibility. Maybe just tell her you're going to do it - and if she says anything - tell her you can't deal with anymore kittens and it's just irresponsible of her to expect anyone to!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just sent her a message telling her im going to look into getting shadow fixed. lets see if she'll answer. and no, she doesnt visit her cat because he boyfriend doesnt want her to be around me.