The joy of living downstairs

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After 3 glorious months of not having upstairs neighbors "they" move in. Maybe some of you will understand. "They" are the ones that insist on not walking but stomping around the apartment like they are 800 lbs. "They" are the typical college kids that don't have to work to pay rent because parents have it taken care of. "They" are the ones that are up until 2-3 am because work is something not in their vocab. I'm so tired right now because of them I can't even think straight.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the joys of renting!

We rent too, and for 2 years we were the people on the bottom floor, we were really lucky that we never had any bad upstairs neighbors. Then again, we live in a quiet community so we don't get any noisey-up all night-college kids

Now we are on the upper floor and oh how I adore it!

I hope it quiets down soon, if not, I would report them to your landlord, you pay rent too & deserve some piece & quiet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Oh the joys of renting!

We rent too, and for 2 years we were the people on the bottom floor, we were really lucky that we never had any bad upstairs neighbors. Then again, we live in a quiet community so we don't get any noisey-up all night-college kids

Now we are on the upper floor and oh how I adore it!

I hope it quiets down soon, if not, I would report them to your landlord, you pay rent too & deserve some piece & quiet!
We actually already made a call to the front desk and they said they need to come in and actually listen to see what we are talking about. And since they don't know about out little Skye it puts us in a predicament. I'm giving them until monday because maybe they are still unpacking. By then I'll kindly go up there and explain that I'm up by 4:30am for work so I can't have them stomping at all hours. The whole common courtesy talk.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our first home was an apartment. We were upstairs but we always considered the downstairs neighbours.

When we had our first house built we had to move into a downstairs apartment for 3 months and it was a nightmare!. I crossed off the days one by one for the day we moved out

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. Jess and I lived in a basement apartment for several months, and our upstairs neighbor didn't have a job, so therefore felt it was just fine to blast her music until 2 or 3am, when Jess had to be up at 5am for work. That was awesome.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaete

I feel your pain. Jess and I lived in a basement apartment for several months, and our upstairs neighbor didn't have a job, so therefore felt it was just fine to blast her music until 2 or 3am, when Jess had to be up at 5am for work. That was awesome.
Some people just have no forethought into courtesy.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! I hate renting. But it's the lesser of two evils for those of us who can't physically maintain a purchased house, or even afford to buy one.

When I first moved where I am there was a fellow upstairs in a wheelchair. These apartments are not really set up for wheelchairs, especially the bathroom, so I can't fault him for the noise he was making. However, whenever he was in the bathroom I can't even begin to describe all of the noise that was generated because of him bumping into the tub, wall, door, toilet...

After he moved someone else moved in and let me just put it this way... one of them was a "screamer"
if you get my drift

After they moved out someone else moved in. I don't know if it was a single person or someone with a kid. But she always walked around with high heel shoes on! There are no carpets in the suites; it's hardwood floor and tile. So whenever she was home all I heard was "clomp! clomp! clomp!" They were also "furniture draggers". I have no idea what they were doing but it sounded like they were dragging large pieces of furniture around their apartment day and night!

The people upstairs now aren't too noisey. I occasionally hear what sounds like a drill, but it could be an appliance in the kitchen.

Back in the early 1990's I lived in a building that had paper thin walls. At one point there was a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 toddlerse, 1 infant) living in a one bedroom apartment above me. Talk about noisey! Again, no carpets and their kids were constantly running. Stucco bits were even falling off my ceiling from the vibrations they were causing. They also let their kids play ball and marbles or something. After hours of listening to balls being bounced and marbles being dropped and rolled across the floor, I went up and told them to by a freaking carpet!

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our walls you can hear everything. We share the living room wall with the people across from us and boy those people can argue. There have been times when we have to turn up the tv or we feel like were intruding we can hear then so clearly. I can not wait until the lease is up and we review our budget and see if a house is in store for us. Even renting one as long as we have no people above us and no roommates. I'm at my wits end with everything. Human just kill me. I feel like I'm gunna start to turn into that guy from friends who would always bang a broom stick onto his ceiling because he complained they were always making too much noise while walking around.

jeep_kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can totally relate, it was neighbors like that that drove us to rent and then buy a house!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom and I were in the opposite situation from yours. She left my ex-step father (Dad died when I was 14) when I graduated from college so we could live in a safe place because he mentally abused her. Mom moved into a house where the apt. she rented could only be reached by going through the main house. We were always quiet and respectful. We had to use their stairs. When I moved back for 2 months after grad school, they asked when I was going to leave because they had only rented to my Mom, not me.
I can't tell you how many times that family had major fights that we heard. But my Mom was so scared that her ex would come and hurt her that we put up with the fights. She later was able to live in an apt. in a friend's house.
So there are rentees from
as well as renters from

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH man....that sux. I will be moving into a downstairs unit come this Friday. HAHA first thing I asked the leasing office "what lives upstairs??!"
Luckily, it's a quiet working couple.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seesh I know how that is but its kinda the opposite for us! We are the college kids (I'm 20 my roommate is 21) complaining about our "adult" neighbors... Its a guy and his kids and I am not kidding about 3 or 4 of his kids friends. Its a constant stream of cars and they are not the greatest of characters! And half the time someone is screaming at someone else, or they are in the drive way fighting... I really hate it here but its very cheap because my moms boss owns the place and is giving us a great deal! And luckily its a duplex so they arent above us... if they are, the cops would be here more often then they are! Oh and I forgot to add.. the 2 bedrooms arent enough so the oldest son (who is my age) is living with his girlfriend who fight often in a camper in one of their parking spots... yea... it looks like I live in redneck land...

I hope that yours will get a little better! If not maybe you could take your kitty and let her stay with a friend for a day and hide the litter box and toys and stuff?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man, does that bring back bad memories!

I have no idea why, but in these really NICE apartments, they rented to a teenager with no adults. Apparently Grandma paid the bills.
Needless to say, this twit had his teenage friends there ALL THE TIME. They would have wrestling matches in the living room. Drinking and doping parties every night. We complained and complained, but we did finally get the management's attention when I told them that someone had puked on the balcony, which ended up on MY balcony too. OMG it was so vile! Oh yeah, and they were probably selling drugs out of the apartment too. They were finally evicted, but that was the longest 3 months of my life!

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just another reason why furbabies are much better than actual humans in some cases.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

After 3 glorious months of not having upstairs neighbors "they" move in. Maybe some of you will understand. "They" are the ones that insist on not walking but stomping around the apartment like they are 800 lbs. "They" are the typical college kids that don't have to work to pay rent because parents have it taken care of. "They" are the ones that are up until 2-3 am because work is something not in their vocab. I'm so tired right now because of them I can't even think straight.
Ok which floor are you living on in my apartment building? Because I swear, you and I have the same neighbours. I know PRECISELY how you feel! Our upstairs neighbour (woman) LIVES in high heeled boots and does NOT take them off, despite the Danish custom to remove shoes at the front door. Her boyfriend weighs about 800lbs too - or at least the shaking of the walls and ceiling would suggest so. They also move a lot of furniture on a regular basis - which would be ok if it wasn't starting at 12:30 at night.

The neighbour to the left of us is about 40 and drinks too much, too often, too loudly, with too many friends. Monday night is apparently the best time to keep the residents awake all night. If you bang on the walls to let him know he's making too much noise, he bangs back and ignores you, sometimes even turning the music up again and singing louder.

To add insult to injury, I am a very light sleeper, so when I try to escape my man's snoring, I have NOWHERE I can go to get any peace and quiet.

Funny..... house rules say that there should be as little noise as possible after 10:30pm, and if there is going to be a party, at least three days warning for all the other people in the building.

I've put it to my other half that I simply cannot take this any more - it's driving me to drink, literally. Just to knock myself out in the evening. We have to get moved this year, because I really need to sleep at some point. When we move out though, I'm having a BIG, LOUD, PARTAAAAAAAY!!!!!
See how they like it

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure know that one, I lived in a basement apartment for several years below my landlord who had to be the noisiest human alive. However I am up on the top floor where I live now and it is great. I do have one person below me who likes his music loud but is pretty considerate about turning it off by 10 P.M.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my first place after college I lived in a house split into upper/lower.
My roommate went to college daytime and worked evenings and I worked full time.
The two guys upstairs well I'm not sure I remember one worked PT and their music kept use awake quite a bit. So we got back at them a few times buy turning on our music at about 6:30 am when we both were up getting ready for our day!!

But in another house-the lower tenants were very noisy too.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think today is the day I'm gunna leave them a note. Nothing condescending or mean just explaining that maybe they weren't told how thin the walls are and how early I get up. So when they're stomping around among other un-mentionable things at all hours of the night we can hear. Just ask for some consideration for others who are around. Because last night was terrible. I'm a really light sleeper so the littlest things keep me up. I can even hear Skye when she is drinking from her bowl in the middle of the night. It's even worse when I'm trying to actually fall asleep I need total quiet. Even after taking some sleeping aids it wasn't helping. And let's just say that headboard was doing some serious moving. Not just like once but all night.