FIP Vaccine

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are some people against this?

The reason I ask is because one of my college roommates' boyfriends' mom has a manx cattery and I was looking at the adoption agreement online (not because I am buying a cat, I'm not a show-cat person. I was just bored). Part of the sales agreement says that the buyer agrees not to vaccinate for FIP.

Why is that?

I found this article, but can anyone sum up the cons of this vaccine in a nutshell for me? (Mostly because I am too lazy to read this)

http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/FIP.html

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the article. It's very good and not fair to ask others to do your work for you! Part of the issue may be because the vaccination is not known to be effective. And it is a live virus vaccination and safety has not be established.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest worry with the vaccine would be if something happened to a FIP vaccinated cat and it escaped my home, or if something happened to me and they had to be adopted and were taken to a vet for tests, that the tests would show that the cat had FIP....and would be euthanized. And only because it had been vaccinated for it, not because it actually had the disease. I may be wrong thinking that way...but that's just how I feel.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie's breeder told me to NOT vaccinate for FELV or FIP - they don't believe they really work and too much reactions to them. His breeder is a vet too. They test their cats, but don't vaccinate them for those 2 things.

I never did vaccinate my rexes for FELV either - they were tested. My cats just get the regular 4 in 1 and the rabies shots.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

My biggest worry with the vaccine would be if something happened to a FIP vaccinated cat and it escaped my home, or if something happened to me and they had to be adopted and were taken to a vet for tests, that the tests would show that the cat had FIP....and would be euthanized. And only because it had been vaccinated for it, not because it actually had the disease. I may be wrong thinking that way...but that's just how I feel.
I think you're thinking of the FIV vaccine, which causes positive test results. Most places do not test for FIP, since the test is actually for the mostly harmless corona virus and not the more deadly FIP.