Paw Question

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to even start a new thread, but noone really goes into the other one that has any health knowledge!!

I really just have one thing that worries me about the new kitty Hobo!!
He has been to the vet and gotten checked/shots and ect. but neither me nor the vet checked the bottom of his feet!

So after I got home I started to check him over thouroghly and notice that he has chunks of the pads on his paws coming off! It looks like they got froze outside! I dont know if this is going to cause him a serious problem or not!

Has anyone ever had this happen?? He seems to be walking great, and it doesn't seem to hurt him, he lets me touch and move the chunks around so I really dont know if this is going to be an issue, if they are going to grow back or what!!

He has one pad that is the highest one up, that is completly black and dead!
He doesn't walk on that one so I dont think it'll be a problem though, so Im mainly just worried about the ones on the bottom! Any experience/advice would be appreciated!!

P.S. He was found outside, so probably had lived their all his life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THERE ARE 18 PEOPLE ON HERE, DOESN'T ONE OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE OR KNOWLEDGE ON THIS???

I dont wanna call the vet in the middle of the night!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know they have creams for it ... sorry not much help

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well at least if they make creams for it, its not like his feet are going to fall off!! I just didn't know what it was, still dont really, I think they must have frozen or something because the one part is totally black, hard and obviously dead. I guess I shouldn't worry so much, but Ive never heard of anything like this!! AT ALL!! Ive had cats my entire life and never seen chunks of the pads of their paws falling off! Maybe because its something you dont look at everyday!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

THERE ARE 18 PEOPLE ON HERE, DOESN'T ONE OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE OR KNOWLEDGE ON THIS???

I dont wanna call the vet in the middle of the night!!
There may have been 18 people on, but there are thousands of posts to read. Not everyone reads every post and not everyone visits the Health and Nutrition forum.
It can take quite a while for people to respond, especially in the middle of the night.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that the blackness isn't just a part of his coloring? Most of my cats had darker spots (black or brown, depending on their fur color) mixed in the pink areas of their paw pads. If there are open wounds, I would call the vet in the morning and ask about whether something should be done to prevent infection.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I called the vet, he's got meds for it! Hopfully they dont get infected... He's on antibiotics so maybe that will ward some of it off. His front paws are worse than the back, and he's got a spot on the very top one where the pad skin part or whatever is almost gone, but thats not one he uses to walk. I have some cream stuff for them, (I dont know if its a number or what to tell you the truth!) He seems to not be bothered by any of this, so Im just a major spazoid. If there isn't life under the dead stuff it will be a problem but right now we gotta wait for the dead stuff to come off!! He eats well, acts fine, is very affectionate to my other kitty Eek (yeah, I know, I wasn't suppose to put them together but Im pretty sure I lost my mind that day)
Today there were on the chair cuddled up together! Eek is still on URI meds, so hopefully they keep working so's not for him to get sick again!