Please Help...kitten won't keep his collar on

yankeegyrl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old kitten who refuses to keep his collar on...he has a safety collar the one that gives way if he ever gets snag on something. He just lost his second collar somewhere around the house
, the first one he completely broke (i'm still trying to figure out how he did that). I've tried to reduce the slack of the collar while keeping it comfortably around his neck. Can someone please give me some advice on how to keep his collar on...at this point i'm willing to try almost anything.

Thanks in advance

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yankeegyrl95

I have a 6 month old kitten who refuses to keep his collar on...he has a safety collar the one that gives way if he ever gets snag on something. He just lost his second collar somewhere around the house
, the first one he completely broke (i'm still trying to figure out how he did that). I've tried to reduce the slack of the collar while keeping it comfortably around his neck. Can someone please give me some advice on how to keep his collar on...at this point i'm willing to try almost anything.
Does your kitten ever go outside? My grandmothers always used to say "If God had wanted cats to wear collars, they would have been born with one." If you are worried about ID of the cat, you can microchip the cat. Although the picture I have of Alley shows her wearing a collar, the picture was taken her first day out of the shelter. Now, none of my cats wear collars, they are all microchipped even though I cannot see any way possible for any of them getting to the outside world. The collar never helped Alley because when people move they often forget to update their cat's ID information.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is an indoor kitty, I wouldn't force the collar on him. If he is that determined to get it off every time, it could become dangerous for him. It sounds like it is a game for him to get it off every time you put it on him. I would practice a harness on him during observed play times, maybe 1/2 to 1 hour a day, or his collar during time periods when he is entertained and not alone. Is he getting plenty of attention and play time? He needs to disassociate the collar with being left alone......

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't force one one him either. The girls took to theirs no problem, but i've tried several times with Jack and it stresses him out so i've gave up.

He's chipped though so at least he's got some id.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ling hated collars - she would get it off every time it was put on. I put one on fore a few months till we broke her of the habit of trying to get out the front door (the collar had a bell since she is mostly black).

After that, she didn't have to wear the collar. This past Christmas, someone had a cute little "collar" with bow that I tried putting on her - she HATED it and ran around trying to take it off.

If you really need to have the collar on - just keep putting it on your kitten till they tolerate it.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nimbus used to find ways to get his collar off all the time. However, I prefer collars over microchips (microchips just seem more unnatural to me). So, I switched from the belt-like collars to the adjustable, safety kind---like this . Anyway, I haven't had a problem since.

-Kristen

ortal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an adjustable, breakaway collar, and I need that bell sound to be aware of where my cats are. they are indoor, but there is always a chance they can escape. That slim chance is not one I am willing to take.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yankeegyrl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanx everyone for your advice. Kameron is an indoor cat and he is microchipped so I'm not concerned about him getting lost. He usually tries to take the collar off when he is in one of his playful moods. We play with him often but I think he gets bored with us and wants to turn his attention elsewhere. Sometimes we catch him in the act of trying to take it off, he stops for the moment then tries later when he thinks we're not looking.

I think its a form of entertainment for him especially since it has a bell on it. At this point he has no collar and I'm not really in a hurry to buy another one.

Maybe I'll try again later, but I would like to eventually put him on a harness and lead and maybe take him outside for some fresh air once in a while.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consider how you'd feel if every time 24/7 you turned your head that a bell went off in your ear? It's a wonder any of them are sane at all (but maybe that's just my overactive imagination :-).

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tried with our Baby Blue, now 6 months-no go. She won't be going outside so we will quit trying. Would be nice to know where she is. She seems to appear out of nowhere!