strays

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i don't know if this is the right category for this. has anyone seen this? i hope it's just a very sick joke.
www.ibuystrays.com
i found it on the about.com cat site

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see that - I found it on snopes too before I caught your post Susan - but it's an incredibly sick "joke". People like that make me

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mixed feelings about this web posting. First, I think it is wrong to pay for animals to be used for experimental purposes but to weigh that against euthanasia is difficult. Sometimes whatever they give the animal is the life-saving vaccine that may be something that will do the human population good. The animal may be fine and healthy, too.
Take for example, the rhesus macaque who helped us in developing the RH negative vaccine (had to have because hubby is A+ and I am O-). Lots of babies would have died without it. The rhesus macaques are still being used for research in the creation of drugs to manage HIV/AIDS, understanding of the female reproductive cycle and development of the embryo, propagation of embryonic stem cells, and a number of behavioral discoveries.
Rhesus Macaques are not an endangered species and they are breed for research.
So, again I am torn because I see the negatives and benefits between the animal used for research and the positive outcome that could be for our pets and ourselves. How about a cure for Feline Leukemia? Or a cure for Aids or breast cancer?
I know that I am TOTALLY against buying animals for research and the way that guy posts it on the web. There should be a better way to approach research than this sicko's posting.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

One of the other Moderators found it on Snopes so i think we can all peel ourselves from the ceiling

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/ibuystrays.asp
Originally Posted by butzie

I have mixed feelings about this web posting. First, I think it is wrong to pay for animals to be used for experimental purposes but to weigh that against euthanasia is difficult. Sometimes whatever they give the animal is the life-saving vaccine that may be something that will do the human population good. The animal may be fine and healthy, too.
Take for example, the rhesus macaque who helped us in developing the RH negative vaccine (had to have because hubby is A+ and I am O-). Lots of babies would have died without it. The rhesus macaques are still being used for research in the creation of drugs to manage HIV/AIDS, understanding of the female reproductive cycle and development of the embryo, propagation of embryonic stem cells, and a number of behavioral discoveries.
Rhesus Macaques are not an endangered species and they are breed for research.
So, again I am torn because I see the negatives and benefits between the animal used for research and the positive outcome that could be for our pets and ourselves. How about a cure for Feline Leukemia? Or a cure for Aids or breast cancer?
I know that I am TOTALLY against buying animals for research and the way that guy posts it on the web. There should be a better way to approach research than this sicko's posting.
It's a hoax. Sometimes it pays to read all of the posts before posting...it will help stave off carpal tunnel for awhile.